Our valued sponsor

Is this the end of nomads?

countryfree

Sep 24, 2017
Visit site
I drove to the country where I'm staying on January the 31st, and I haven't left because of the lockdown (I was supposed to be near Milano on the first week of March). That means 68 days staying in the same country! That hadn't happened to for more than 10 years. I had plans to go to I, CH, MNE, CZ, SI, SK, HU, BG (not in that order, and more) but I'm stuck with borders closed. I've been lucky enough to find a cheap place to stay, but I want to leave!

Also, I'm not supposed to be where I am. My business is 100% offshore, so I haven't used my cards for 2 months, and nobody can prove when I arrived, but I don't know what will happen if I run out of cash. How do other nomads manage the situation? How to travel all year long with lockdowns everywhere and borders closed?

Reactions: uplana
What is your citizenship country? In much case nomad life tax wise is not possible. Your citizenship country can claim (even if you stay 0 days per year in your citizenship country) you are their tax resident if you cannot provide any other proof of other country were your are tax resident

What is your citizenship country? In much case nomad life tax wise is not possible. Your citizenship country can claim (even if you stay 0 days per year in your citizenship country) you are their tax resident if you cannot provide any other proof of other country were your are tax resident
That's not accurate. Only the USA, North Korea and Eritrea do this.

Reactions: HeidiInTheAlps
There's no issue with my birth country which I've left years ago. My only concern is that I'm currently in a high tax country, not officially working, and I don't know when I'll be able to leave because of closed borders.
I wonder how the other nomads are managing the lockdown. I used to change country every month, but you can't do that these days.

I wonder how the other nomads are managing the lockdown. I used to change country every month, but you can't do that these days.
It's a bad but interesting situation you are into. Wonder what all the nomads are doing now they are unable to leave the country where they just stranded.

There's no issue with my birth country which I've left years ago. My only concern is that I'm currently in a high tax country, not officially working, and I don't know when I'll be able to leave because of closed borders.

If you stay low profile and government has no records of official work. You should be fine even if you stay a bit longer.. during this covid times

Most authorities are tolerating overstaying and other stuff related to the COVID when the individual is unable to fulfill its stay requirements because of it.
It also depends on which country you are. Does it have a flight ban like Slovenia or Latvia?
If you have flights still flying you can try to fly to a major hub like Germany and then on to a country still accepting foreign arrivals like Belarus or South Korea. But upon arriving you will have to quarantine anyway.
Best idea is just to sit around and wait.

It would be actually interesting to know if anyone here ever experienced such a situation that a country considered them as tax resident because they visited a country for a few months.

Sounds very unlikely to me, I would not get paranoid about it. Just because you are staying a few months in a high tax country doesn't mean that you trigger tax residency. Especially under those circumstances we are experiencing world wide these days.

I'm close to Frankfurt, I believe I could fly away, but I have a big station wagon full of gear, so I need to drive. I guess I could cross the border to France or Switzerland, but then what? I would not be allowed to come back, there's a full lockdown in France, and Switzerland is an expensive place to live. So I'm staying where I am, waiting to be free again...

You can open a company remotely in Cyprus or Georgia. Tax wise Georgia is best option in my opinion. Check the IT Zone there.

I personally don't expect countries to consider people as tax resident because they are stuck somewhere because of Corona. Especially in Schengen area you could technically be in any neighbor country, if you are not worth a few millions I don't think you have something to worry about.

I don't need any new company, my business is fully organized, thanks.
I'm the real perpetual traveler. Working everywhere, but on a holiday if someone asks. I just hope nobody will find it strange to spend a 10 weeks vacations in Germany at this time of the year, with all museums and most places closed.

I've had confirmation that the Swiss/German border is closed. If a foreigner leaves Germany, he will not be able to reenter.
Also Swiss who used to go shopping in Germany because it's cheaper, can't do it anymore.
Crazy times! Even during WWII, the border remained open.

Working everywhere, but on a holiday if someone asks. I just hope nobody will find it strange to spend a 10 weeks vacations in Germany at this time of the year, with all museums and most places closed.

there is hardly anyone wondering that people are stranded nowadays. Do you live in Switzerland or say you are stranded in Germany, yes it may be a bit strange, but if you live far away then I think there is no one to blame you for anything.

As I see, you want to travel in central Europe. All borders are closed officialy. But what is true? Just offical border crossings are guarded. Few hundred meters away, people are crossing borders without any problems. There is no problem to travel to the border city / border village and go around border checkpoint. If you need to cross some borders, I know exactly where. The most of EU countries set some official conditions to enter a country, but no one enforce it in real. It is just a game..

You can travel during lockdown just have a good reason and don't travel through your 'own' country. As a foreigner they can't really do much to you if you have a legit reason for traveling. The govs are mostly harassing their own citizens...

You can travel during lockdown just have a good reason and don't travel through your 'own' country. As a foreigner they can't really do much to you if you have a legit reason for traveling. The govs are mostly harassing their own citizens...
No way to travel by crossing international borders in the most countries.. Most of european countries borders are guarder by army with machine guns

I like to open up a company too but since I have the dreaded US passport so I can't open an Seychelles IBC since it's recognized as a C corp which is a nightmare to deal with. I like a Nevis LLC or an LLC to open up an account in Singapore which I don't know is possible these days or not as they require tremendous amount of paper work. This is all legal as I am living in UAE but several banks and brokerages here deny US passports an account and I live here full time. I am also interested in a Trust to hold the account and from Cook Islands as that is something respectable. If you have something for me then let me know please.