Our valued sponsor

Let's talk watches?

What about the liquidity of high end watches?
Are they liquid as gold?
Regarding Dubai,
Just go to any high end watch shop and they will buy your watch??
Is it right??

Or Is it hard to sell high end watches???
Anyone have real experience ???

Are they liquid as gold?
Regarding Dubai,
Is it right??

Or Is it hard to sell high end watches???
Anyone have real experience ???
I explained most of this in post number ten. It is an easy way to move $10k to $200k through customs and across borders just by wearing a luxury watch on your wrist, providing that you are going to a high rent area where you sell it easily.

You will want to buy a pre-owned high-end luxury watch (e.g., Patek Philippe or Rolex), which typically sell for fifty percent of retail value, and then hopefully re-sell it for about the same price. There may be an arbitrage opportunity depending on how many authorized dealers are located in the country and the demand.

In my experience, most on-line watch buyers are from the U.S., Western Europe, Japan, and Hong Kong. I once had an interested buyer from Saudi Arabia, but my insurance company stated that, in the past, it was very safe to ship to Saudi Arabia, but now the customs office confiscates so many items that the insurance company reduced the insurance for shipping to Saudi Arabia from $50,000 to only $500. So, it is now impossible to ship to Saudi Arabia, at least using my insurance company.

I explained most of this in post number ten. It is an easy way to move $10k to $200k through customs and across borders just by wearing a luxury watch on your wrist, providing that you are going to a high rent area where you sell it easily.
I have never thought about this.

I'm into watches as well owning a Submariner, Daytona 'Panda', Batman, Daydate and a ROO. All these have doubled in price, would never expect that.
Curious if you bought the first three from an AD? My submariner was a gift, batman came from a retailer and panda daytona came from a dealer - brand new in Oct 2021 so paid through my nose, but it still has gone up in 35% or so since. ROO will be my next purchase, so it's interesting how our choices are very similarfin4774"
But none were bought from an AD, because they never have for pieces to sell to 'us'

So how can we buy watches like Daytona's and Nautilus from an AD?
There is a Russian sales girl in Richard Mille Dubai mall, she once told me that if you want to buy a steel daytona, it helps if you buy a RM or two and this will bump you up in their Rolex store waiting list. She claims many of her clients have done this. For context RM & Rolex (amongst countless other brands) are owned by one family here.

Are they liquid as gold?
Regarding Dubai,
Is it right??
Back in the day, you could walk into any Rolex AD store and you would be able to walk out with almost any of the popular models the same day. Today, it's a joke - their stores are completely empty apart from some entry-level watches nobody wants, and even those - you will not be able to buy on the spot and walk out.

There is a Russian sales girl in Richard Mille Dubai mall, she once told me that if you want to buy a steel daytona, it helps if you buy a RM or two and this will bump you up in their Rolex store waiting list. She claims many of her clients have done this. For context RM & Rolex (amongst countless other brands) are owned by one family here.
what's the costs to get a level up there ?

Curious if you bought the first three from an AD?

None of my watches were bought from an AD, still I didn't paid too much over msrp. Now every time I enter a store they have nothing for sale, waiting lists are closed and its impossible to get anything, its just a showroom.
But then the grey market guys always come to me with Nautilus for 100k. How the f*ck they get them?

Reactions: Marc Rich
Rolex are so mainstream...(I guess because they are relatively easy to resell)

I own a limited edition Bulgari Carbongold (Shop the Bulgari Carbongold BB 38 CL CH | Chrono24) and I simply love it (despite having a leather wrist, I don't those)

y is timeless. It is like art. Not all but those which are discussed here. A casio most probably won't be ;) although ipods are also well priced. The $20,000 iPod: vintage Apple products net the big bucks on eBay
I own a first edition iPod that I have never been using for years and I have the original box too.... Time to throw it on ebay.

I have a box of the very first iPhone too (sadly I lost that iPhone in Singapore shortly after ). Somebody might buy it.

Time to sell off old crap

Last edited:
Rolex are so mainstream...(I guess because they are relatively easy to resell)

I own a limited edition Bulgari Carbongold (Shop the Bulgari Carbongold BB 38 CL CH | Chrono24) and I simply love it (despite having a leather wrist, I don't those)

I own a first edition iPod that I have never been using for years and I have the original box too.... Time to throw it on ebay.

I have a box of the very first iPhone too (sadly I lost that iPhone in Singapore shortly after ). Somebody might buy it.

Time to sell off old crap
Now Thats Hodling At Its Finest... do post on ebay and Update on the thread how it goes...

yup an original Rolex is an assest Globally, and Highly liquid as well...That sure adds to the overall value of owning one..

My favorites but not owning any:
- jaeger lecoultre (reverso and master grande)
- A.Lange & Söhne (Lange 1 and Langematik)
- IWC (Portuguese and portofino)
- Ulysse Nardin Torpilleur
- Zenith
IWC is sure reputable and always unique,always fancied the chrono and tachymeter versions..

Reactions: jjrapy

Latest Threads