Our valued sponsor

Life in UAE advantages & disadvantages

Konstanz

Mentor Group Lifetime
Jan 17, 2020
Visit site
I see that UAE is very hot topic now. We see many good reviews and horror stories.
I have created this thread to discuss advantages and disadvantages of life in UAE.
Share your experiences if you live or lived there.
What is the weather? Problems can arise? What are your recommendations if someone moves to UAE?...

Pro:
Tax free
Safety
Lifestyle
Opportunity

Cons:
Weather
No democracy
No freedom of speech
No fair jury/court system

Uae is best for people who want tax free income . If someone sell all his business and all invested in passive investment and enjoy life . So many people sell thier business enjoy retirement here.
Media.net founder sell his company and they enjoy life in uae.

In coming days uae is best for wealthy retired people . Every need you can fullfill buy just mobile app only here.

Don't try to create any fight with local or Expat . Just live in hotel appartment and enjoy life . Stick to Dubai Marina , down Town , palm Jumeirah . Do not try to experience "cheap entertainment" . ;)
Only go to high society area hotel for avoid any trouble.

For lawyer hire see vidoe below

In some case rent for hotel appartment and normal apartment are almost same
.https://www.rovehotels.com/offer/monthly-hotel-rates/.

When you buy property ,check the service charges first .they are high like a craZy, kind of property tax. You find very suprising that palm Jumeirah property service charges are affordable than downtown. Downtown property service charges are high like crazy . Most luxurious property like armani residence service chages are around aed 82 per sqft. And rent is around the aed 160 per sqft. So almost half your rental income goes to service charges. So do you research before making any investment
. So many new buyer face shocked.
You can check here
Properties for rent in Armani Residence - 25 properties for rent | Property Finder UAE

Here government take decisions very fast it is good for some cases and bad for other cases.

You can buy property virutally online without physical presence using government app DUBAI REST – Apps on Google Play

Almost all service has app if it is government or private . It is living like in a future. You simply open bank account with id and mobile app only. Liv. UAE - Digital Lifestyle Bank – Apps on Google Play

Every big bank in the world has branch in difc.

One open secret that , you know when you settled down here that crime do happen , so do not live life carelessly take care of your belonging .

Dubai is expensive compared to other Emirates. You will shocked to see so many people working in Dubai live in another emirate to save rent.
70 to 80 % development are done by one developer named Emaar. It has super helpfull app for buying and home owner MyEmaar – Apps on Google Play

When people planning to move to Dubai they are very curious about living cost here I try to give idea about it like laundry service price
https://www.laundry-man.com/pricing/.

Healthy meal service price
Best Monthly Healthy Meal Plans in Dubai

You can get idea about the cost .

Remember Dubai is for quality peole not for backpackers. With low income you are wasting your time . In some case paying tax in your home country is cheaper than moving to Dubai.

You are not useful to Dubai . You are no longer required here. Sad but the true Reality of life.

Hope I cover all things here.

Last edited:
What I like the most living in Dubai - its safety. You get a similar feeling what you could get when living in Monaco. If someone is looking for the safe place with very low criminal rate - UAE is the place to be.

On the other hand, if you get any problems with the law in UAE, expect the worst, because you are dealing with Sharia Law.

Just don't do anything illegal there and you will be fine.

The weather is fantastic for the half of the year, so expect to live indoors in the summer season.

For me the most important Pro about Dubai is the fact that it's not just a small island but mainland with a real economy and close located to Europe and Asia and of course to nice destinations like the Maldives.

You are living among many other expats that are into the same situation like you and due to the current pandemic I need to highlight that Dubai is currently one of a few places worldwide where you can currently enjoy a normal living with going to Cafes and Restaurants.

The weather between June and September is like being in a microwave and you have to jump from one AC to the other - beside of the Malls there is not really much you can do during this time as everything outside is closed.

For me the most important Pro about Dubai is the fact that it's not just a small island but mainland with a real economy and close located to Europe and Asia and of course to nice destinations like the Maldives.

You are living among many other expats that are into the same situation like you and due to the current pandemic I need to highlight that Dubai is currently one of a few places worldwide where you can currently enjoy a normal living with going to Cafes and Restaurants.

The weather between June and September is like being in a microwave and you have to jump from one AC to the other - beside of the Malls there is not really much you can do during this time as everything outside is closed.
Yeah, in summer it is hot but the malls are not the usual malls you know. They are mini cities, with everything you can imagine in them, even a mini ski resort. So you will have plenty to do indoors.

Yeah, in summer it is hot but the malls are not the usual malls you know. They are mini cities, with everything you can imagine in them, even a mini ski resort. So you will have plenty to do indoors.
Exactly - I mean I know why I'm living hear but to keep it more neutral I need to mention something.

It's mainland, but you are in the middle of desert in middle east. So, it's more like an island. I had this island/city type feeling. It's an oasis in a desert! :)

azb1 covered the issue pretty well.​

My two cents:
PRO - Emirates Airlines have fantastic service if you can afford business+. And it's well connected.
PRO - hotel service if just perfect price/quality wise. Europe sucks comparing with Dubai.

CON - bureaucracy is still crazy, everything being done forever, even worse than Spanish mañana.
CON - if you have kids, they probably will grow into little entitled brats
CON - very peculiar society. A lot of con men, a lot of crypto "enthusiasts", gold diggers of all sorts and even wanted guys.
CON - if you happen to break a law - you are f***ed. There is no "slap on a wrist" in sharia law.

Overall opinion after spending some time in Dubai and trying to run business there - No.
It's basically a Disneyland for lads who's idea of entertainment is sports cars, fancy watches and Ukrainian hookers.
Absolutely nothing to do after a year o so. IMHO.

It's mainland, but you are in the middle of desert in middle east. So, it's more like an island. I had this island/city type feeling. It's an oasis in a desert! :)
Got your point but for me was living on several islands and you feel the island even if you use the flush of your toilet - the streets - sanitary facilities.

Not to forget the construction of the houses - I think all the guys that sitting in December on Cyprus with their heat ventilators know what I'm talking about.

CON - bureaucracy is still crazy, everything being done forever, even worse than Spanish mañana.
Wow. That sounds like hell to me. I can barely tolerate the manana Latin cultures.

Is it cost-effective to hire locals (or English-speaking Filipinos, etc.) to deal with those issues? Can other people deal with those issues on your behalf -- or must you appear in person?

My two cents:
PRO - Emirates Airlines have fantastic service if you can afford business+. And it's well connected.
PRO - hotel service if just perfect price/quality wise. Europe sucks comparing with Dubai.

CON - very peculiar society. A lot of con men, a lot of crypto "enthusiasts", gold diggers of all sorts and even wanted guys.
CON - if you happen to break a law - you are f***ed. There is no "slap on a wrist" in sharia law.

Overall opinion after spending some time in Dubai and trying to run business there - No.
It's basically a Disneyland for lads who's idea of entertainment is sports cars, fancy watches and Ukrainian hookers.
True, Dubai is not for running Business , You can imagine in local business scene, Like laundry service Business has so many competition.
It is very hard to get succeeded in Local business environment . You see most establish business are branch or big Brand of other country . If they lose in business still they can survive with their home country profit.

Businesses are seasonal, You have to earn as money as possible during New Year months To survive.

Like I mention earlier , Now Dubai is becoming Retirement paradise for Wealthy People.

My two cents:

This sums up UAE and in general the neighbouring countries. Oman being more down to earth but still full of paperwork mountains to climb.
If you have a vested interest to be there physically then you will have no option but to make the best of what there is to offer.
If you have other agendas as outlined then also you will find a reason to stay as there many people who come to UAE looking for the golden goose or something similar.
The place serves a purpose and is not cheap to get things done. Especially if you want the work to be of a standard you find in Europe. If you just want to get someone to stand in line and do that for you then there are plenty of options, but dont expect common sense to be included with that level of service.

Many govt offices find ways to not return deposits back and use other departments as excuses for this. After all they are all there to raise funds to pay local workers salaries.
Just visit any government depart and go to the car park before you enter. Most of the top end cars are for the local staff.
In Europe this would not be norm.
In the past years we have seen 50% salary increases for Locals working in government departments. A large majority work up to 1-pm and then after lunch they do their private business, or are sponsors for many companies etc.
Money is their only worship.

Abba had the right lyrics for this place Money Money Money.

We all need to make money and have our desires we wish to full-fill.
Its how to go about it and if your are in a world without a sense of reality and surrounded by richness which is OPM and made of the sweat of others, then it leaves a bad taste. Certainly not honourable.
However like all places there a few decent locals and expats who want to make a work a better place, sadly there are fewer there.
Have had the pleasure and still am in contact with many who I would call honest true souls. My experience has not been terrible but I was aware of what was around me and kept my distance from the sharks which are there at most corners.

If you can find a structure which work for you with UAE in the mix then great. But it wont be cheap and simple.

The early years of real courtesy and genuine smiles is not as prevalent as it once was.
Year on year things get eroded and you do end up tired of the all to frequent changes in the law which you have to adapt to. This bring on a lot of fatigue and anxiety, no calmness and stability when anything can change literally overnight.

Anyone wishing to establish in UAE. I strongly urge them to take 3-6 months living there and visit all the emirates and not just be in the posh part of the cities. You will get a real sense of the world there and can get a good feel for the life you can expect to live. That will let you make a real informed decision.
You may like what you see or otherwise, at least you know yourself what you are getting into.

This sums up UAE and in general the neighbouring countries. Oman being more down to earth but still full of paperwork mountains to climb.
If you have a vested interest to be there physically then you will have no option but to make the best of what there is to offer.
If you have other agendas as outlined then also you will find a reason to stay as there many people who come to UAE looking for the golden goose or something similar.
The place serves a purpose and is not cheap to get things done. Especially if you want the work to be of a standard you find in Europe. If you just want to get someone to stand in line and do that for you then there are plenty of options, but dont expect common sense to be included with that level of service.

Many govt offices find ways to not return deposits back and use other departments as excuses for this. After all they are all there to raise funds to pay local workers salaries.
Just visit any government depart and go to the car park before you enter. Most of the top end cars are for the local staff.
In Europe this would not be norm.
In the past years we have seen 50% salary increases for Locals working in government departments. A large majority work up to 1-pm and then after lunch they do their private business, or are sponsors for many companies etc.
Money is their only worship.

Abba had the right lyrics for this place Money Money Money.

We all need to make money and have our desires we wish to full-fill.
Its how to go about it and if your are in a world without a sense of reality and surrounded by richness which is OPM and made of the sweat of others, then it leaves a bad taste. Certainly not honourable.
However like all places there a few decent locals and expats who want to make a work a better place, sadly there are fewer there.
Have had the pleasure and still am in contact with many who I would call honest true souls. My experience has not been terrible but I was aware of what was around me and kept my distance from the sharks which are there at most corners.

If you can find a structure which work for you with UAE in the mix then great. But it wont be cheap and simple.

The early years of real courtesy and genuine smiles is not as prevalent as it once was.
Year on year things get eroded and you do end up tired of the all to frequent changes in the law which you have to adapt to. This bring on a lot of fatigue and anxiety, no calmness and stability when anything can change literally overnight.

Anyone wishing to establish in UAE. I strongly urge them to take 3-6 months living there and visit all the emirates and not just be in the posh part of the cities. You will get a real sense of the world there and can get a good feel for the life you can expect to live. That will let you make a real informed decision.
You may like what you see or otherwise, at least you know yourself what you are getting into.
I would disagree that UAE is complicated and not cheap.
I would say it's most cost efficient and with NO due diligence to get 0% tax residence.
Other places you need lots of investments and vast paperwork and time to get residence. I mean the places are not some very remote locations like Panama

The only reason you see so much interest in UAE residence is because it's very easy and it's cheap. Dubai is also not so expensive city
Depends on your budget, perspective and what type of life you prefer to live. If you follow the UAE norms then its not cheap by any means. Having lived there for 13 years Europe has a lower cost of living than UAE (sharjah), at the time Dubai was even more expensive if I chose the same villa size and facilities.
Company set up costs have reduced and with more options which open up for many people to access UAE.

UAE has always had interest for many globally. They all feel there is some magic or secret of making money which can be unlocked if you move there or set up a business there.
Horses for courses.
Each to there own choosing and decisions.
Hence the suggestion to go and stay there for up to 6 Months. As its a major decision if you want to relocate. You get to make an informed decision.

Reactions: glengoolie

Latest Threads