Our valued sponsor

live in asia visa & crypto

50K for 5 years is difficult but not impossible. For example in Chiang Mai (north of Thailand) or other provinces like Mae Hong Son. You would need to live a minimalist lifestyle.

I can share my experience in Chiang Mai after living there for 2 years recently, and most of the time didn't spend more than $1000 per month because of my lifestyle.

You can get a decent apartment for less than $200 and free wifi, but don't expect anything fancy, just a basic 30sqm bedroom with a fridge, desk, and closet.

You would need to buy a second-hand scooter for about $500 if you want something that still works fine. Your biggest expense per year would be visas. In this thread, someone mentioned paying $400 per year (I'm not sure about those), the only reputable schools I know start at $1000/year.

It's also important to have decent insurance which is difficult to find for less than $60 per month. If you care about your health, you should consider eating Western food sometimes instead of steet Thai food, which is cheap but often prepared with low-quality oil, MSG, processed sugar and other inexpensive ingredients. This means you may need to spend more on food as well.

You also need to consider unforeseen circumstances and inflation.

If you like shopping, beer, party, and hedonism, forget about it. In my opinion, it's best to make money remotely while living there and not just stick to that 50K without saving. However, it's possible to live quite simply in your circumstances

Reactions: JackAlabama
If one is completely honest - why would anyone even consider moving anywhere if they only have 50K to live on for 5 years - it's insane and makes absolutely no sense since the moving costs and the plane ticket alone would eat up the entire amount!

If one is completely honest - why would anyone even consider moving anywhere if they only have 50K to live on for 5 years - it's insane and makes absolutely no sense since the moving costs and the plane ticket alone would eat up the entire amount!
not the whole amount, you take one suitcase, sell the rest (which isnt that much if have 50k) and the plane ticket is like a few 100 bucks.

I did this too way back with 80k (saved from a few years slaving away). Was worth it. Id say it was a cornerstone of my future ventures.
Id rec to anyone if you're prepared to go out of your comfort zone and try to do things. If one only chills in the 1bedroom at the new place watching netflix Id not rec to do it tho.

I guess you haven't traveled much, you'd expand your horizon if you did.

I know someone, who paid $680 for a flight with 80 kg excess baggage, and is spending here (South East Asia) TOTAL ( including rent) <$600 per month, living in an apartment with a swimming pool and gym, and eating out every meal.

Where do you think could you build up a business or side hustle quicker, part time with a 8-5 job to pay for a little apartment in a western country, highly taxed and after getting home you'd be exhausted and all your time left is taken up by making dinner, or here, where you could learn new skills on Udemy, build up virtual or physical business, get untaxed dividends (you don't need to become resident, you can jump between two places every 5.9 months), lower or no taxes and less competition, and much better quality of life? Oh, have I forgotten to mention the girls and the ganja (not the best setting to start a side hustle with that, lol) ?

If I am (and I always am) completely honest, the decision is really easy.

But so many people prefer living a mediocre life ................................................................... and then it's over, and we are dead.

I guess you haven't traveled much, you'd expand your horizon if you did.

I know someone, who paid $680 for a flight with 80 kg excess baggage, and is spending here (South East Asia) TOTAL ( including rent) <$600 per month, living in an apartment with a swimming pool and gym, and eating out every meal.

Where do you think could you build up a business or side hustle quicker, part time with a 8-5 job to pay for a little apartment in a western country, highly taxed and after getting home you'd be exhausted and all your time left is taken up by making dinner, or here, where you could learn new skills on Udemy, build up virtual or physical business, get untaxed dividends (you don't need to become resident, you can jump between two places every 5.9 months), lower or no taxes and less competition, and much better quality of life? Oh, have I forgotten to mention the girls and the ganja (not the best setting to start a side hustle with that, lol) ?

If I am (and I always am) completely honest, the decision is really easy.

But so many people prefer living a mediocre life ................................................................... and then it's over, and we are dead.

True, but not for everyone.

One of my best friends in Chiang Mai has bitcoin, gets a low salary working online and only spends about 20,000 baht ($550) per month. Some people don't need much.

Reactions: jafo