Our valued sponsor

Neat, Revolut or Transferwise for HK Company?

where can I see the ranking of the best banks? thanks

Ranking in terms of what criteria?

Once you work out the answer to the above question then try google perhaps.

I have setup with Airwallex and it seems relatively straight forward. I am looking at Currenxie as an option for a new Singaporean company, but maybe just open another Airwallex account for it.

How do the taxes work for the SG company? You find a lot of conflicting information on what income they will consider “foreign-sourced” and thus tax-free, unless remitted follows Singapore...

I’m actually looking for information on that now, as I thought the account needed to be elsewhere to avoid SG tax (i.e. Money not remitted to SG was 100% safe), and Airwallex is technically a HK bank I believe. However, I need to work out if they’re considered an SG account if the company is SG based.

My understanding is HK won’t tax foreign income remitted to a HK bank but SG might if it does not fit certain criteria. So SG companies can use a foreign bank accountant to separate its foreign income from SG entirely. I’m in the process of getting that information clarified so will report back.

My scenario is selling services to Australian customers, who pay the SG company, which procures the staff to perform those staff in the Philippines through our company there. Basically having a SG company as the face for customer interactions and payments. No business will be done in SG itself.

Thanks. I would be really interested to hear your experience.

The way I understood it from the IRAS website was that it’s almost impossible to fulfill the requirements for the exemption, unless substantial tax has already been paid in some other jurisdiction. In other words, it’s very attractive if you want to live in SG because you can reduce you’re taxes substantially, but not really a great option otherwise because you’d likely be paying less if you incorporated somewhere else.
But of course theory and practice can differ greatly and I might also have misinterpreted what’s written on their website.

Okay, so I got swayed back towards a HK company despite the unrest and minor setup admin costs ($400 AUD difference with Singapore). It just seems a bit easier with the IRD and the extra $2000HKD to assess offshore status is minimal. The lawyer I was speaking with said he couldn't see how my setup would not be classed as offshore and exempt from local taxes, so this will be the way forward for me.

Reactions: JustAnotherNomad
Neat is absolutely HORRIBLE!! I used them for my company. First, they limit the amount of money you can receive and keep on account monthly. You will have to provide more documents than when applying for a mortgage when you receive and send funds. Real life example, I tried to send funds from my Neat account to another account that I own in another bank. I had to create an invoice and bill my own company. Keep in mind, my company invoiced my company, same name and details, in order to get my funds released 3 days later. Do yourself a favor and run away from Neat as fast as you can!

Most banks in HK, either they are well-known or not, are usually very strict about opening a bank account. They open it easily, but you will have to provide information eventually beyond what you would have to provide in your home country.

On the other end, when everything is settled, it is very easy to move money in and out. And I'm not only speaking about the most well-known banks in HK (HSBC, Standard chartered, DBS, etc..). And a good thing, is that you get a multi-currency account. You can keep funds in their original currency, and just shift them into a stronger currency when you find the time/rate suitable.

In addition, the exchange rates are extremely competitive.

All of this comes with a price. A complete, long and demanding opening procedure.

By the way, the requirement of capital being above 100k USD is bulls**t.

Most banks in HK, either they are well-known or not, are usually very strict about opening a bank account. They open it easily, but you will have to provide information eventually beyond what you would have to provide in your home country.

On the other end, when everything is settled, it is very easy to move money in and out. And I'm not only speaking about the most well-known banks in HK (HSBC, Standard chartered, DBS, etc..). And a good thing, is that you get a multi-currency account. You can keep funds in their original currency, and just shift them into a stronger currency when you find the time/rate suitable.

In addition, the exchange rates are extremely competitive.

All of this comes with a price. A complete, long and demanding opening procedure.

By the way, the requirement of capital being above 100k USD is bulls**t.

What about registration with EMI's? Would be pretty useful to have some kind of list with EMI's that have no problem accepting HK companies.

Are there any requirement of start capital for companies in HK?

What about registration with EMI's? Would be pretty useful to have some kind of list with EMI's that have no problem accepting HK companies.

Are there any requirement of start capital for companies in HK?
We have partnered with an EMI out of the UK who accepted my HK company with no issues. I also opened up another UK company, owned by my HK company to take advantage of the tax free issues regarding both countries.

Latest Threads