Our valued sponsor

Non-dom with UK ltd company - Can I optimize it with a foreign holding?

babaorum

May 15, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm planning to become a UK non-dom and open a UK ltd.
The company will be taxable in the UK. Can I have a foreign holding company owning the shares of the UK ltd which would then pay me dividends on a foreign account? With the non-dom status, that would not be taxable.

Is this a way to take advantage of non-dom status? If not, is there another way to optimize this while running a company in the UK?

Thanks

No, by virtue of have a running business in the UK that you are no longer Non Dom and now you are liable for all income.
No, I have been a non-dom in the past while running a business in the UK and my accountant at the time said it was fine.
I also read all the HMRC guidance and there was no mention of such but happy to be proven wrong :)

Reactions: Fred
Hi,

I'm planning to become a UK non-dom and open a UK ltd.
The company will be taxable in the UK. Can I have a foreign holding company owning the shares of the UK ltd which would then pay me dividends on a foreign account? With the non-dom status, that would not be taxable.

Is this a way to take advantage of non-dom status? If not, is there another way to optimize this while running a company in the UK?

Thanks
If it's only about the company running in UK - you can go for a UAE company that grants you a 0% tax residence.

You can incorporate a UK LLP instead of the UK Ltd using the UAE company as a partner beside of yourself - if your customers are outside the UK or a US LLC if your customers are in the UK.

If you plan to live in the UK - this won't work legally even though the UAE banks won't report you under CRS as you have the banks opened with local residence card.

From the posts of @CaptK I could imagin he is now going a similar route.

If it's only about the company running in UK - you can go for a UAE company that grants you a 0% tax residence.

You can incorporate a UK LLP instead of the UK Ltd using the UAE company as a partner beside of yourself - if your customers are outside the UK or a US LLC if your customers are in the UK.

If you plan to live in the UK - this won't work legally even though the UAE banks won't report you under CRS as you have the banks opened with local residence card.

From the posts of @CaptK I could imagin he is now going a similar route.
It doesn't really matter if the company is incorporated in the UAE. If I'm resident in the UK and I control the company from the UK, the company is UK resident and will pay corporate tax in the UK. Additionally, I'm not looking to avoid paying corporate tax.

Reactions: Fred