Our valued sponsor

Offshore / freezone company as a Spanish resident - how is tax calculated?

DrunkFlamingo

Oct 13, 2021
Spain
Visit site
Hey guys,

I am currently resident in Spain. I use automated trading algorithms (crypto) as a means to generate an income. Lots of small trades, lots of small profits - and lots of taxable events. Can be around 200 trades a day. As you can imagine it makes accounting a nightmare.

Moving to a jurisdiction with zero tax is hugely attractive due to the lack of accounting requirements. The Dubai + freezone looks like the best option, and I am currently getting advice on how to best manage my tax liabilities while moving away from Spain.

However, for various reasons I may not be able to move away from Spain as soon as I would like / need to get the tax advantages for 2022. The primary purpose for this set up is to making accounting easier (as far as I am aware there is no tax advantage to this structure while still resident in Spain). Is there an advantage to run my crypto trading through a freezone company in Dubai, and pay tax in Spain?

Do I just pay myself a salary, and declare that? From what I understand the company will be taxed as if it is a Spanish company - how do they determine the profits? It feels as if I could get very creative with my accounting depending on how much I declare as profit vs re-invest. Or are profits determined from dividends paid out? Or do they want to see all of the companies financial records?

Pros I see:
- Gets the freezone set up and ready for when I eventually do make the move
- Gets my assets out of the country
Cons:
- Complicated. Still gotta pay the tax anyway, so is this complication even worth it?

Or are there better alternatives?

I am currently resident in Spain. I use automated trading algorithms (crypto) as a means to generate an income. Lots of small trades, lots of small profits - and lots of taxable events. Can be around 200 trades a day. As you can imagine it makes accounting a nightmare.
As long as the 200 trades per day can be tracked and the data standardised, accounting doesn't have to be complicated.

Do I just pay myself a salary, and declare that?
In essence, yes.

There might be some capital gains complications, depending on how your business is assessed under Spanish tax law.

From what I understand the company will be taxed as if it is a Spanish company - how do they determine the profits?
What's great for them is that it isn't up to them to determine. It's up to you. And if they don't believe you, they'll either prosecute you (claim you owe taxes on some number they estimate) and/or audit you (forcing you to do accounting retroactively under time pressure and with court date pending).

Or are there better alternatives?
Don't start the UAE company until you are moving there.

Spain is merciless.

yes yes ok, but if she had had a holding company based in the emirates and from there she would have been managing

Leo Messi has a lot of real estate in Spain, especially in Mallorca, some hotel (when you have employees who work in a local company this is not deductible) but properties I think it is possible

Last edited: