Our valued sponsor

Online poker/crypto income tax

Hello,

I am a poker player, and i also deal with crypto. I heard that Malta has no taxes for online poker and capital gains, if you are a non dom. Is that correct? And also how can one live there and be a non dom?
I heard you can be a non dom if you don't put any money in their banks, but if i don't put any money in their banks i'll put money in the banks of my own country which will ask to pay tax..So i am not sure how that really works
Also what countries have no taxes/or low taxes for poker and crypto gains? I think in Austria poker players are also playing tax free.

Thanks for the help in advance

I am a poker player, and i also deal with crypto. I heard that Malta has no taxes for online poker and capital gains, if you are a non dom. Is that correct?
Intra-EU/EEA gambling winnings are tax free. If you play on EU/EEA licensed poker rooms, there is no tax owed. Being non-dom is not a factor in that case.

If you are playing on non-EU/EEA poker rooms, you might be able to use the Malta non-dom scheme have the income qualified as foreign and taxable on a remittance basis.

And also how can one live there and be a non dom?
By not being born Maltese and by not intending to be buried in Malta when you die. As long as you fulfil those conditions, you can continue to be non-dom until you die.

I heard you can be a non dom if you don't put any money in their banks, but if i don't put any money in their banks i'll put money in the banks of my own country which will ask to pay tax..So i am not sure how that really works
In that case, put the money in a third country.

If you are not born in Malta and you just move there , it is presumed that you are a non dom. It is only if you take explicit actions pointing towards your intention not to be regarded as non dom, like for example if you buy a grave or draw up a will requesting to be buried there , or any other actions like getting married in Malta and building a house with the intention to stay there permanently , getting local citizenship etc all these may point towards you not being a non dom but still the underlying intention is what matters most.