Our valued sponsor

Opening a US personal bank account remotely with ITIN?

bibing

May 7, 2017
Visit site
I saw various services online offering to get an ITIN for non residents.

Would this be enough to open a personal US bank account online?

If not l, what would prevent that? Missing SSN? Is SSN required?

I saw various services online offering to get an ITIN for non residents.
Yes, this is one of the official ways to get an ITIN. For a deeper information, you can look here How do I apply for an ITIN? | Internal Revenue Service and consequently here Acceptance Agent Program | Internal Revenue Service.
Would this be enough to open a personal US bank account online?
Do you mean an account with a neobank/an EMI or with a brick-and-mortar bank? If the former, then yes – on condition that you qualify in general. If the latter, then very probably no – the vast majority (if not all) of brick-and-mortar bank requires a personal visit to onboard a non-resident. TBMK.
If not l, what would prevent that? Missing SSN? Is SSN required?
No, SSN does not matter, AFAIK. What matters is your residency status and US address.
I can open bank account only with
USA address
Passport + drive licence or ID (accept all word)
phone number.
Does it mean that you did not need your ITIN or SSN??

I would prefer a solid Chase or Bank of America. But even an EMI would be OK (as long as they don't disappear).

Any EMI you can suggest?
I am not much oriented re: personal US EMI accounts, sorry. However you can take a look at the discussions here US neo-banks List [For Non-Residents LLCs] and here Mercury, TryNovel, or something else?. It concerns accounts for LLCs but possibly (at least some of) these EMIs offer personal accounts, too.
It is also important how much cash you want to deposit, quite generally.

For example, this is BofA app.

1000099691.png

I wanted to say that for me, all they need is ITIN and address.... Or are they going to ask for more documents?
Honestly, I have no current experience with BofA. But from I have heard recently, if they agree to onboard you remotely as a non-resident (what I would not expect but good luck!) then they probably will not ask for more. Of course compliance generally can ask for anything; but in BofA they were not used to mimic the monkeys e.g. in european banks.

No traditional US bank will open a bank account remotely for non us resident ! It's because of KYC regulations
Get yourself an ITIN and travel to US and it should be easy to get it opened in person

They can open it even without ITIN by the way

If you opened your company accounts they can open you a personal as well without a need for ITIN
Do you have any personal experience with this, or have you witnessed it? If so, would you mind sharing some details?

Last edited:
Do you have any personal experience with this, or have you witnessed it? If so, would you mind sharing some details?

BTW, for opening a company account you need an EIN. EIN for a company you cannot (legally) obtain without a Taxpayer Identification Number (SSN, ITIN, or EIN) of the true principal officer, general partner, grantor, owner or trustor (it even makes sense, IMO). There are certain (shady) ways how to bypass it but it represents a fooling with IRS what I would not recommend to anyone wanting to avoid troubles.

Yes people close to me i know they non us and dont live there they went for their company and they opened an account for them but they fill form W8-ben

You can open an account at all big if banks as tourist. Need to be there in person and they will ask more questions such as proof of address. With ITIN, you can open online without being in the US. Some banks are more open then others. Truist us usually the one to check.

NB the are banks that open remotely for non-residents but it is mainly for special cases or on an exception base. But it is possible. I personally would recommend going there on person though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes people close to me i know they non us and dont live there they went for their company and they opened an account for them but they fill form W8-ben
W8-BEN is, actually, unrelated to the problem discussed. This form can be, under some circumstances, filled in without having a SSN/ an ITIN (check here About Form W-8 BEN, Certificate of Foreign Status of Beneficial Owner for United States Tax Withholding and Reporting (Individuals) | Internal Revenue Service).

Could you share, what bank was engaged? And who was the registering agent for the company? If you do not like to do it in public, indicate it and we can talk privately...
You can open an account at all big if banks as tourist. Need to be there in person and they will ask more questions such as proof of address.
Yes, I agree. (Perhaps not with all and not in any branch, IMO – but it's just a detail...)
With ITIN, you can open online without being in the US. Some banks are more open then others. Truist us usually the one to check.
Well, yes. Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
In any case, for the bank account. I personally would recommend a visit to a US bank and then talk to them. The ITIN helps with some banks like Capital One. But without a US address, things are typically more difficult.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my ITIN from a CAA on Fiverr. There are some fake ones so verify they are a real CAA on the IRS Website after messaging them. Took me about 3 months from start to finish, did the verification over Zoom.

About 6 months back. They did everything, all remotely.

About 6 months back. They did everything, all remotely.

Which banks are available to you now that you have ITIN? For remote opening I mean.
Are you using you own address or one in the US?

ty

They can open it even without ITIN by the way

Wells Fargo can open accounts without ITIN, but you have to go there.

Last edited:

Latest Threads