Our valued sponsor

Opening securities account for Maltese Limited

Trashbin

Mar 22, 2019
Visit site
Dear community,

I browsed through the fora for some time but couldn’t find info about the subject, so I’d like to ask the following. If it has already been asked: Apologies. References to existing answers are very welcome.

I own a limited based in Malta. Myself, I live in Switzerland.

I would like to use some of the company’s funds to invest in selected government bonds (reasonable interest, good rating). The funds shall remain in the ownership of the company.
However, I find it difficult to find an online broker to open an account for my Maltese company. Most of them don’t accept corporate accounts at all. And the rest: Either they simply refuse Malta as a location for a client (e.g EToro), or they have a limited, fixed set of bonds to invest (however, I want to pick my own).

Is there something like a list or an overview of online brokers, if they accept corporate clients, which countries they accept and which instruments they offer for investment?

I started gathering a little bit of an overview. If this list doesn’t exist yet, I will set it up to share and extend it together with this community (if that is of interest for you?).

Thank you in advance for any feedback and kind regards

trashbin

Find a bank where you can open a privaTe banking facility. Also, do you have prior experience in investing? To be able to choose your own investments, the banks must be satisfied of you being qualified to choose.

Last edited:
Find a bank where you can open a privaTe banking facility. Also, do you have prior experience in investing? To be able to choose your own investments, the banks must be satisfied of you being qualified to choose.
Thank you for the quick reply!

Is it actually necessary to create a private banking facility to buy and hold assets only for myself / my company (no clients involved)?

Thanks for clarification / confirmation.

I worked in consulting the banking sector for a while, a few years of investment experience are given.

Thank you for the quick reply!

Is it actually necessary to create a private banking facility to buy and hold assets only for myself / my company (no clients involved)?

Thanks for clarification / confirmation.

I worked in consulting the banking sector for a while, a few years of investment experience are given.
Yes if you wish to work with a bank it is necessary even if you do not manage clients funds. It is the only way actually.
What amounts are we talking about for investment?

And the rest: Either they simply refuse Malta as a location for a client (e.g EToro), or they have a limited, fixed set of bonds to invest (however, I want to pick my own).

Is there something like a list or an overview of online brokers, if they accept corporate clients, which countries they accept and which instruments they offer for investment?

You tried Saxobank? They should open for Malta company and they have an ok selection of bonds. They can add more bonds if you request also.

Try the Saxo instant demo to see if you find the bonds you are after.

Reactions: CyprusLawyer101
Yes if you wish to work with a bank it is necessary even if you do not manage clients funds. It is the only way actually.
What amounts are we talking about for investment?
Thanks for the clarification.
Until mid of year I plan to deposit 200K€ in low risk government bonds.

You tried Saxobank? They should open for Malta company and they have an ok selection of bonds. They can add more bonds if you request also.

Try the Saxo instant demo to see if you find the bonds you are after.
Thank you for this reference. I checked their homepage: the amount and kind of bonds offered is huge - and it fits my needs.
Minimum deposit is 10k€ which is fine for me.
Since one can not open a corporate account online directly, I contacted them via e-mail as they suggest.

Last edited:
Thank you for this reference. I checked their homepage: the amount and kind of bonds offered is huge - and it fits my needs.
Minimum deposit is 10k€ which is fine for me.

You can also try with Medirect Bank in Malta. Their bond selection is not good as they need to add manually what they don't have. It's also 50/50 whether they will open a corporate account for a Malta company with a non-resident behind it. But worth a try as its always good to have another brokerage option as a fall back.

Latest Threads