Our valued sponsor

Opening US bank account for non-residents

I would really like to see some valid reviews from reputable forum users around here. Everything I have ever seen and read about is that account openings got rejected by foreign people unless they used a middleman.

I would really like to see some valid reviews from reputable forum users around here. Everything I have ever seen and read about is that account openings got rejected by foreign people unless they used a middleman.

I am hearing that it is very easy to setup Charles Schwab international account with visa debit card 0% FX fees for foreigners and no SSN is required. Minimum deposit $25,000:

Marketed as brokerage but apparently it works like a normal bank account as well.

Reactions: buenosdias
I opened a Wells Fargo account in 30 mins when visiting in person one of their branch offices. Be prepared to have a good story why you need the account and why there. Card was emailed to my adress outside the US. I am EU citizen and live in latin america.
Thanks for the reply, did you go to branch state where you registred company or no? and if is not secret which EU citizenship you have?

I have also succeded in opening personal account with Bank of America lately.No proof of address needed (not at home, not in US), but card delivery address needed to be in US. They accept friends address, address rental services etc.

They said opening account for US registered business also possible, but I haven't tried it yet, Going to.

I am EU citizen.

Unless middleman is a relative, his presence would be seen as highly suspicious by a US bank and it would get likely get reported as possible human smuggling operation. I cannot see how a stranger can walk in to bank with applicant and not being questioned about his purpose and relationship . On the other hand, bad english speaking illegal getting paid under the table would receive significantly better assistance and account would be opened with extra time to supply missing documents.

Same apply to corporate accounts unless assisted by attorney or CPA previously retained to represent the business.

Another way to identify US banks eagerly looking for new accounts (usually right before merger) is to check advertisements for cash payments for opening new account. If one shows up with such advertisement in hand, the purpose is obvious.

No, with a friend's address. But I did tell them I don't live there and that I don't pay taxes in the US. They only care about their reporting requirements.

Mail forwarding addresses are difficult. You need to check that the address isn't listed as a professional mail forwarding agency, but more importantly, it's difficult to find companies who will forward debit/credit cards. Just use a friend's address.

Reactions: daxbr
No, with a friend's address. But I did tell them I don't live there and that I don't pay taxes in the US. They only care about their reporting requirements.

Mail forwarding addresses are difficult. You need to check that the address isn't listed as a professional mail forwarding agency, but more importantly, it's difficult to find companies who will forward debit/credit cards. Just use a friend's address.

understand...thank you very much for your reply :)

Latest Threads