Our valued sponsor

Permanent residency in Paraguay

Based on my info, the waiting time from the moment your application for permanent residency has been accepted is around 3-6 months - as in Do It Yourself style that I prefer doing. I was told that it is very unusual that - once accepted - the application is rejected. All my info comes directly from the personnel at Migraciones Paraguay and/or immigration lawyers and consultants here in Paraguay.

Greetings!

I want to ask for a favor. I am interested in acquiring permanent residency in Paraguay for my family, and want to get the residency work done quickly. As my Spanish is quite limited, I am looking for help on the ground. I have a couple of quotes, but I am a little turned off by the slow interaction. Do you have a favorable recent experience dealing with a law firm or a helper on your Paraguay permanent residency application and care to share its contact information with me?

Thank you in advance!

Greetings!

I want to ask for a favor. I am interested in acquiring permanent residency in Paraguay for my family, and want to get the residency work done quickly. As my Spanish is quite limited, I am looking for help on the ground. I have a couple of quotes, but I am a little turned off by the slow interaction. Do you have a favorable recent experience dealing with a law firm or a helper on your Paraguay permanent residency application and care to share its contact information with me?

Thank you in advance!
I used Jeronimo Finestra. He has mixed reviews from what I hear but his associate does most of the work and it all got done in a few days.
A few tips:
Bring a minimum of $6000 in new $50 or $100 USD bills - the 100s have to have the blue security ribbon and the 50s have to be the newest available.
When you arrive at the ASU airport, BEFORE you go thru customs, look for the visa on arrival kiosk and get a 10-yr multi-entry visa. As of 2 months ago, it cost $150 and they only accepted new 50 and 100 dollar bills. Then go thru customs. If you miss it and you go thru customs first, you will have to leave the country and return again to get the visa.

I had to find out the above the hard way. I brought a LOT of 20s because the ATM in Central America I got my USD from only gave 20s. They DID accept them at the bank but not at the visa counter. Fortunately I had some new ones. From what I hear, you cannot withdraw a lot of USD per day in Paraguay so you need to bring it with you. I also hear trying to wire it is a pain.

My application was submitted 2.5 months ago so I haven't received the permit yet but everything was OK according to the official who accepted the application.

Greetings!

Thank you in advance!
I have recently posted here how I did it by myself and plan to write a short how to guide. I have not used any "helper" nor immigration attorney though I had spoken to some. Feel free to message me if you'd like to know more.

Reactions: daxbr
Be

ttina went to jail in 2014 for Passport fraud. Her and a collegue where involved in some shady stuff. She is back at it again selling her services but she is dodgey as ....

The health check is not a real health check jaja. You do not need to go to a doctor and get a report etc etc. HIV test,, no way. Never

If tou open a full bank account. You can transfer a million or a trillion dollars a month into PY. It just depends on the account tyoe when you applied and opened.

I transfer 10's of thousands a month. Hundreds of thouasand of dollars some weeks. Into PY from overseas.

Banking is great here if you opening the right accounts. Just normal accounts actually. Not these limited ones that most expats seem to open. Itau, gnb and atlas are all fine:)

No

No worries. Just get the PY pr. Then apply for the passport oneday. PY will not tell your home counry you have it. Never. You will be fine. I know a few peopple in the same boat.

You do need Cedula to abtain drivers licence and motorbike licence. But you do not need to sit a test. Just pay the fixer or lawyer money, provide a photo via email or chat. And it will be delivered to you in 24hrs. That easy with my fixers. I just paid $250usd and got both the deivers and moto and didnt even have to leave my hotel.

And my fixers or should i say immigration comp ay i went through provided a tax/rental lease contract for me. So i have an address now. I just asked for wverything i wanted. They did it. Not sure if it was hard worl or if there was much footwork. I just went on dates and went to restaurants and they kept bringing me documents to sign and gave me all my paperwork when they completed the tasks for me. They basically relocated me here and made me a tax resident. 3 years later they are doing my Citizenship application. And i havnt even been in the country at all. Except to fly back and "sit the citizenship test" lol. That was easy;) If you go through a company like i did with a team of amazing lawyers. Everything is possible in PY. Everything. And all so easy. There is no law in that country. The law is in place to enforce the bribes and thats it

You dont have to come every 3 years at all. That is a load of bull dust. And you dont even need to go to PY every 10 to renew the Cedula. Just pay your lawyer to donit in your absense. So easy

Do you mind sharing the name of the company and the costs evolved? I will probably do my PR with a certain guy. But I am curious about driver's license, rental lease contract, and apply for citizenship even without staying 3 years in the country.

Not quite true, as per this link the permanent residency application for investors is still open. Here is the official link: Paraguay cuenta con una nueva y moderna Ley de Migraciones - .::Agencia IP::.

Furthermore, I have talked to Migraciones Paraguay today and the current applicants who already have received "Comprobante de Tramito de Solicitud" i.e. "confirmation of the application" are not affected by this law. (This includes me by the way).

What I learned that the new applications for a permanent residency will include work permit and could lead to a permanent residency. There is still a lot of things the staff at Migraciones Paraguay was unaware of - feel free to message me with any questions. However, and no question about it, it is going to be a lot harder to get the residency than before.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Thomas

Correction:
"What I learned that the new applications for a permanent residency will include work permit and could lead to a permanent residency."

should be "What I learned that the new applications for a temporary residency will include work permit and could lead to a permanent residency."

My apologies

Damn. I was supposed to do it earlier this year and ended up postponing to next month. I was about to buy the ticket and just saw this thread. It seems that with temporary residency you can have the national ID card though. I wonder if after getting the temporary you can leave the country without them knowing and come back back after 2 years for the permanent residency. ( the brazilian border is not controlled it seems, you can go through without passing by imigration).

One thing to keep in mind is that if you put most of your wealth into offshore entities, many of south american countries becomes effectively tax havens as they don't have CFC rules. But in the case of Brazil and Argentina, for example, this might change in the future with their entry in OECD, and you will pay taxes on dividends. Also you will have to fill annual taxes there, even if you don't have taxable income. And if you want more privacy, those countries have CRS and a lot of information exchange treaties. It's not something comparable to Paraguay.
This is not about Paraguay but Colombia - and it is relevant as of today. Colombia's 2-Year Digital Nomad Visa: What We Know [Aug. 2022]
I don't know anything about personal tax in Colombia but I know that they have one of the highest corporate taxes in the world. And the current president is a communist. Nothing can compare to the previous PR of paraguay: territorial taxation, minimum presence, no CRS, stable and non-intrusive government and tax office, low-profile.
I will have a look at Uruguayan residency, as they also have territorial taxation and have PR available to mercosur citizens.

Last edited:
Immediate permanent residency in Paraguay has ended. Best option: 2 year temporary residency, then reapply for permanent. Gaceta Oficial
I read that the program is still open until 12/31/2022.
Is that true? Can I still apply for permanent residency in December this year?

After approval, do I have to visit the country from time to time? Will my residency be cancelled, if I won't enter Paraguay every 5 years (or any other period)?

I read that the program is still open until 12/31/2022.
Is that true? Can I still apply for permanent residency in December this year?

After approval, do I have to visit the country from time to time? Will my residency be cancelled, if I won't enter Paraguay every 5 years (or any other period)?
Since the outcry among german emigrants regarding Paraguay is great, let's assume the worst case...