Our valued sponsor

Permanent residency in Paraguay

First you wrote the Residency has to be renewed every 10 years.
Everybody should renew his cedula every 10 years. Doesn't matter if you are foreigner or a citizen. The difference is that a foreigner should add some extra police records documents when he wants to renew his expired cedula/ID every 10 years. Basically it's for life your PR from migration, except that Paraguay could take away your PR or cedula through the court only if you did some serious crime. Migration gives you a PR card, but Ministry of Interior through police instance gives you an ID based on your PR card. And that ID you need to renew every 10 years. Same for any other citizen of Paraguay.

Do you mean the residency itself stays valid but the document has to be renewed every 10 years?
Yep, exactly : the document (ID) should be renewed.

How do they check, if I are absent for more than 3 years?
Through your stamp in the passport or searching in the data base of your legal migration movement. Nowadays if you leave Paraguay when you already have your PR and cedula (ID), they put a stamp in your passport and inside that stamp they write "CIP" which means "Cedula de Indentidad Paraguaya"/Paraguayan ID.

Do I have to renew it in Paraguay and do I really have to show my passport again? I want to have it as a backup, if my passport fails.
If you don't have citizenship your passport always should be with you. You can try to travel with ID/cedula, but migration board could always ask you about your passport because in your ID there will be always the nationality information. For renewing you should be in Paraguay, but with magic...maybe could be done :)

Last edited:
Everybody should renew his cedula every 10 years. Doesn't matter if you are foreigner or a citizen. The difference is that a foreigner should add some extra police records documents when he wants to renew his expired cedula/ID every 10 years. Basically it's for life your PR from migration, except that Paraguay could take away your PR or cedula through the court only if you did some serious crime. Migration gives you a PR card, but Ministry of Interior through police instance gives you an ID based on your PR card. And that ID you need to renew every 10 years. Same for any other citizen of Paraguay.

Yep, exactly : the document (ID) should be renewed.

Through your stamp in the passport or searching in the data base of your legal migration movement. Nowadays if you leave Paraguay when you already have your PR and cedula (ID), they put a stamp in your passport and inside that stamp they write "CIP" which means "Cedula de Indentidad Paraguaya"/Paraguayan ID.

If you don't have citizenship your passport always should be with you. You can try to travel with ID/cedula, but migration board could always ask you about your passport because in your ID there will be always the nationality information. For renewing you should be in Paraguay, but with magic...maybe could be done :)
Travel with ID only within South America, otherwise you must have your passport.

Travel with ID only within South America, otherwise you must have your passport.
ID doesn't give you an absolute right to travel within South America. For example, if you have Indian passport and you have an ID from Brazil, then you can't travel freely with an ID because India has visa relationship with many countries in South America. So for traveling to Paraguay you need to show your passport (and you need to get a visa to Paraguay). If you have a Russian passport, then you can travel with an ID to many countries in South America because Russia had visa suppression agreement with many countries in the region.

ID doesn't give you an absolute right to travel within South America. For example, if you have Indian passport and you have an ID from Brazil, then you can't travel freely with an ID because India has visa relationship with many countries in South America. So for traveling to Paraguay you need to show your passport (and you need to get a visa to Paraguay). If you have a Russian passport, then you can travel with an ID to many countries in South America because Russia had visa suppression agreement with many countries in the region.
As a citizen you don’t need

Are you trying to sell your services? I just wanted to get some information but I guess that isn't free
I am not selling a service. I am just telling you how things work in Paraguay.

Residency is easy. Citizenship is an entirely different matter. And what you hear, even from lawyers in Paraguay, is not always the truth. Read my prior posts in this thread. They will enlighten you.

For citizenship, you will need an attorney (or a fixer with an attorney) who is very politically connected and also enough money to pay the attorney and to grease the wheels of the bureaucracy all the way to the judges who approve your citizenship application. It also requires Spanish fluency. Be sure to find someone with a proven track record, not just empty promises.

So you spend 7 months a year for 3 years, then hire a fixer for the citizenship? He gets you your passport in a few months?

How much would that cost? $10K? $20K?

I use the Paragaguayan cedula to travel. I have an Australian Passport. I didn't need to show my passport when entering Uruguay and Argentina. They asked me in Brazil but I think it's because I couldnt explain my cedula well in Portugese. There is a land border to Brazil from Ciudad del Este in Paraguay that allows you to enter Brazil without them checking your passport.

Any updates on the vaccine entry policy?
Now you can enter the country without vaccine certificate. You just need a negative PCR test.

how difficult is it to get that certificate each year ?
Never tried to get it every year for the same client. Can't say much about it.

. I didn't need to show my passport when entering Uruguay and Argentina.
But they always can ask you to show. As I said, in the agreement between Mercosur Countries there is no such thing like "foreigners with PR can freely travel between countries". A couple days ago I tried with some Russians to cross the border to the Argentina. One of my client at the border argued that "she has cedula, she doesn't need to show her passport". I tried to explain to her that you have no right to not show your passport. There is no such point in the Mercosur agreement. So is only the will of bureaucrats when they will ask your to show your passport. The Mercosur agreement clearly says that a foreigner can travel between Mercosur countries only if there is a visa suppression agreement between your passport country and the ones you want to cross. But even with the suppression people at the border can ask you an additional requirement to cross just because yes.

The land border in Ciudad del este it's a messy place to have a strict control. Even god damn Chinese and Afghans can cross the border. Nobody cares there. You are mixing the concept of "thanks to" with "in spite of".

$10K? $20K?
Price depends of your nationality. For Russian or British people 25-30$k.

Last edited:
Now you can enter the country without vaccine certificate. You just need a negative PCR test.

Never tried to get it every year for the same client. Can't say much about it.

But they always can ask you to show. As I said, in the agreement between Mercosur Countries there is no such thing like "foreigners with PR can freely travel between countries". A couple days ago I tried with some Russians to cross the border to the Argentina. One of my client at the border argued that "she has cedula, she doesn't need to show her passport". I tried to explain to her that you have no right to not show your passport. There is no such point in the Mercosur agreement. So is only the will of bureaucrats when they will ask your to show your passport. The Mercosur agreement clearly says that a foreigner can travel between Mercosur countries only if there is a visa suppression agreement between your passport country and the ones you want to cross. But even with the suppression people at the border can ask you an additional requirement to cross just because yes.

The land border in Ciudad del este it's a messy place to have a strict control. Even god damn Chinese and Afghans can cross the border. Nobody cares there. You are mixing the concept of "thanks to" with "in spite of".

Price depends of your nationality. For Russian or British people 25-30$k.
Hey how long would I need to stay in the country for the residence application?
Can we do everything in one day? Paying extra for this is ok.
Can you also recommend a good lawyer for handling investments and immigration together with you?
Do you have contacts with local law enforcement?

Absolutely agree considering that she got caught with stacks of passports in her office and walked away clean. Unfortunately it ended very badly for her foreign clients.

Did she ever got jailed ?
Did she ever got found guilty ?
Was there even a case ?
Did she gave an offical explanation ?
Did her customers had any issues ?

Absolutely agree considering that she got caught with stacks of passports in her office and walked away clean. Unfortunately it ended very badly for her foreign clients.
Really, where ?
You mean in the imagination of news outlets who posted an unconfirmed bias ?

Last edited:

Latest Threads