Our valued sponsor

Portugal NHR + Luxemburg company

I know forum posts can never contain all the info that is required to elicit very accurate advice and most posts try to give helpful generic advice. I kinda feel the scope of the authors questions could be a bit narrow and my apologies in advance if I am missing anything, but here goes anyway. This post is probably mostly off topic for this thread, but i saw mention of Georgia and special tax options so thought I would chime in, just in case any of the below info might be relevant for the thread author or others somehow. As others have already made clear - selecting the best jurisdiction for any tax purpose requires a broader strategy to be in place first - and too tight a focus on fiscal tax issues too early in the planning can look like jurisdiction shopping and lead to trouble later if all the serious substance does not follow the choices. By substance I tend to go with whatever a conservative (non-tax minimizing) person will think is solid substance, as these days that’s the only strategy that seems likely to avoid the current trend in aggressive tax changes. Rule 1: Plan on tax issues getting harsher and more complex and more aggressive - that is a common message in this forum… and there is a lot of collective wisdom and experience backing it up :).
1. Regarding Georgia Free Zone Company status - it only works for manufacturing companies physically based in one of the very few actual Free Zones. Heavy emphasis here is on physical manufacturing of physical products.
2. You can get an advance tax ruling from Georgian Revenue Service to test for eligibility for any specific special tax regime - costs about 10k gel apparently but could be essential and well worth it.
3. The other (different) Georgian option already mentioned by others in this thread is Virtual IT Zone Person status (with 0% CIT and 5% WHT on dividends and 20% wages tax). This works fine if there is proper economic substance in Georgia and most importantly if ***software*** is actually being created in Georgia for **export**. So… If your company is creating software of any kind as part of your overall business - and if it can be made in Georgia - then definitely worth a look. There are other special tax schemes in Georgia targeting different types of business and its essential for your business activities and model to be a conservative match for the Georgian government requirements of any scheme you try (and after a positive advance tax ruling is in hand). Naturally how any scheme gets interpreted and dealt with by other countries tax departments is an entirely different subject.
4. Georgia has a bunch of very good DTA’s and Free Trade Agreements. Many allow for zero WHT on payments to Georgia.
5. Re point 3: You would either need to employ a local software developer or move / locate a foreign software developer in Georgia …. These days a first temporary residency permit for employment / ID card will be issued for a year usually (minimum is 6 months) but the second temporary residence permit can be for 10 years - depending on the strength of the financials in your residency application and your citizenship. The financial requirements (for the 10 year permit) are still low enough to be quite viable for lots of people making a good western level income.
6. A 10 year residency permit provides some longer term stability which helps make Georgia a safer option given its ‘instability’ in certain aspects. A 10 year permit helps convince other countries tax offices that you are established for the longer term in Georgia and not shopping around.
7. There is some chatter that the government will reduce the 20% flat tax on wages next year - but we have to wait and see. 8. After a couple of years of activity a Georgian company might become eligible for the special International Company status. Again an advanced tax ruling would be essential. Wages tax drops to 5% and other advantages.
9. Also after 2 years of profitable activity the Georgian company can be used to open Liaison Offices / Trade Representative Offices in many countries including known lower tax ones like Bulgaria, with the ability to send one or more Representatives to live there. Turkey does not tax the wages paid to foreign representatives of TRO’s. There is lots on the internet about using a TRO in Bulgaria as the easiest way for **non-EU citizens** to get Bulgarian temporary residency, and Bulgaria allows up to 3 foreign Representatives.
In the end, in my own personal opinion…. the trends are very clear. No matter what we hope to achieve in terms of quality of life, it increasingly seems if we want the best fiscal arrangements then we must aim for serious economic substance and serious (183+ days) length of stay in the country we claim as our tax residency, because anyone not doing that could eventually find themselves caught in the ever tightening and ever increasingly complex layers of tax nets. For example, I would not think it wise to become a TRO Representative in any country without making sure I was performing the real duties of a representative in that country… and keeping all the records to prove it. Anything less could be construed as a tax residency ‘arrangement’ by any other country looking into your finances and tax obligations. Most countries require such records anyway for TRO’s they permit in their jurisdiction - especially when/ if the Representative wishes to renew their residency permit at some point… but some people seem to focus in on getting a lower tax residency as their primary goal when it should be part of a wider strategy… about longer term security for their financial future and short/medium/longer term lifestyle objectives.
10. If using a special tax scheme in Georgia (or any other country) for your business location while personally living / tax resident in a different jurisdiction, then check each special tax scheme option against your own country’s rules and the reverse. Fo example, your home country might tax any dividends you receive from Georgia if those dividends did not already have some tax deducted in Georgia. In such cases the Georgian Virtual IT Zone status is better than the International Company status since dividends have 5% WHT. On the other hand, your residency country might not care about if tax was deducted from the dividend already but they might care / tax you more if the Georgian company was not paying CIT. So in such cases a Virtual IT Zone company might not be best and an International Company that pays some CIT could be better.
So many variables …. And what is the use of a zero or low tax tax country if every other country will tax business payments going there or dividends received from there and banks flag every move?
If you cannot afford to get expert advice on your specific objectives and circumstances and on any specific tax related choices you are considering, then you are amongst friends here because many of us have been in that situation before :) …. and my advice these days is to go as simple as possible with structure/s and study the short listed options very deeply, and also be as deeply conservative as possible (by which I mean serious economic substance and 183+ days stay ) and you will be glad you did. As many others have said - better to pay moderate taxes and have better long term security. Always remember this golden rule … tax offices are aware of most of the tax minimization options that exist and nothing you are thinking of doing is unknown to them :). So try to be conservative and employ strategies they allow for. For example, it is almost always better to go with a country (like Georgia) that has never been on the grey list than a country that is or has been. If possible it’s better to start early with a well thought out, realistic, broad and conservative plan (if possible) than try to rejuggle jurisdictions later. I know these are only words but at least never rush into anything. Hope there is some useful info scattered in amongst all that somewhere :).

Reactions: OffshorePhantom
a Georgian company might become eligible for the special International Company status. Again an advanced tax ruling would be essential. Wages tax drops to 5% and other advantages.

As we are speaking of Georgia here's another trick i discovered recently about International Company.

You'd think that salaries are considered valid expenses to lower taxable income right?

Well read pagragraph 1 under annex 3 and you'll be in for a surprise.

Thank you for your insights on Georgia @oldtimer2 !

Regarding the Virtual IT Zone Person what if the software is already produced but the company continues to improve it, adding more features, updates etc and also at the same time producing more softwares?

Is the 5% WTH tax on dividends worldwide? Because for example from here (Georgia - Corporate - Withholding taxes) I read that WTH to residents of UAE have 0% WTH so in theory having a Freezone company in Georgia and distributing dividends to UAE is tax free and achieves a 0% tax, am I right? Clearly the Georgian company needs to haver some substance.

Also the other problem is receiving payments. Is it easy to open accounts for those free zones? I am also researching how Admob will pay you, if it is in GEL or another currency and if it is supported.

Regarding the Virtual IT Zone Person what if the software is already produced but the company continues to improve it, adding more features, updates etc and also at the same time producing more softwares?

That's why at pont #2 he suggested to pay for a ruling with RS to test for eligibility for any specific special tax regime.

having a Freezone company in Georgia and distributing dividends to UAE is tax free and achieves a 0% tax, am I right?

That's right.

Clearly the Georgian company needs to haver some substance.

"In order to benefit in full from the 5% dividends and 0% Corporate income tax rates, a VZ company must utilize Georgian-based employees with qualifications in the IT field."

Here are all the details

Reactions: oldtimer2
As we are speaking of Georgia here's another trick i discovered recently about International Company.

You'd think that salaries are considered valid expenses to lower taxable income right?

Well read pagragraph 1 under annex 3 and you'll be in for a surprise.

Seems salaries are only deductible if paid to citizens of Georgia? In any case I would opt for the Virtual IT Zone person. Problem is that even if you get a positive ruling in advance I am a little bit scared about this since seems that lot of audits have happened to those companies and the government may change the rules and interpretations very easily.

Seems salaries are only deductible if paid to citizens of Georgia?

Yes! Isn't that crazy?

In any case I would opt for the Virtual IT Zone person

If you stop for a second and think why Georgia is creating those incentives you'll quickly conclude that they want to create jobs for Georgian people.

When they say "Georgian based employees with qualifications in the IT field" it's not clear if those employees needs be Georgian citizens or not but after i discovered annex 3 for International Company, i tend to think that's also the case for Virtual Zone Person.

As you said, "government may change the rules and interpretations very easily" so a ruling is the only certain way to move ahead.

Yes! Isn't that crazy?
Yeah, totally!

When they say "Georgian based employees with qualifications in the IT field" it's not clear if those employees needs be Georgian citizens or not but after i discovered annex 3 for International Company, i tend to think that's also the case for Virtual Zone Person.
Yeah it says Georgian-based there so in theory it opens to Georgian residents even if they are not citizens but this is not that clear and reading about that other article you sent me it makes things even less clear (red flag).

It is not an issue to hire a Georgian citizen as employee with an IT background also to create substance to the company, but I am still scared about the possible future outcomes and also banking is not that clear.

As you said, "government may change the rules and interpretations very easily" so a ruling is the only certain way to move ahead.
Hoping that even if you have an advance ruling then things changes in any case. I have no connection to Georgia so I do not know how things work there, but I read that it is a country very linked to Europe that will do what it takes to please the European Union and that scares me a lot since those type of incentives could be just canceled in a matter of months.

those type of incentives could be just canceled in a matter of months.

Well that's a possibity, just like NHR itself.

But wait....there's more :p

I almost forgot the weirdest thing about Georgia!

When you register a company all your personal informations (including passport scans!) are publicly available online in the Georgian register site.

Yes, you have to do dig a little to find it but any internet user with a little patience could find it and for obvious reasons i'm not going to direct link the register.

Well that's a possibity, just like NHR itself.

But wait....there's more :p

I almost forgot the weirdest thing about Georgia!

When you register a company all your personal informations (including passport scans!) are publicly available online in the Georgian register site.

Yes, you have to do dig a little to find it but any internet user with a little patience could find it and for obvious reasons i'm not going to direct link the register.
On the Georgian Register, for regular LTD / LLC type of company, the company public extract is usually about one page. If you are a shareholder or director, then your name is in Georgian language with your passport number. Those details will be in the Directors section if you are a director, or in the owners section if you are an owner (shareholder) showing what % of the company shares you own, or in both sections if you are a director and a shareholder.

On the Georgian Register, for regular LTD / LLC type of company, the company public extract is usually about one page. If you are a shareholder or director, then your name is in Georgian language with your passport number. Those details will be in the Directors section if you are a director, or in the owners section if you are an owner (shareholder) showing what % of the company shares you own, or in both sections if you are a director and a shareholder.
Also in my experience the public process to download the public extract from the Registry website is not easy. I had to send WISE a long email with step by step instructions on how they could download their own copy from the Registry website.

Last edited:
Passport scans?

Yes!

Is this even legal?

WvhxDN.jpg

If you are a shareholder or director, then your name is in Georgian language with your passport number.

Not only name and passport number but also passport scans. If you go to companies house register you'll find informations about shareholders too but you'll not find personal docs posted publicy online. This is wild!

Latest Threads