Our valued sponsor

problem open UK bank

sarabia

Jan 8, 2021
Visit site
I would like to open an account in the UK bank, I live in Slovakia and have a sublet in the UK. Every bank like Lloyd, Metro, etc... won't let me open an account for unspecified reasons, can you help me? I have an EU passport, UK address proff and UK sim card, tnx for help

Every UK bank is connected to civic registry. None UK bank will open account for you if you are not registered as UK legal resident in a civic registry. You are allowed to apply for registration just if you are a legal resident.
Just having a sublet appartment does not make you a legal resident of the UK.
You as citizen of Slovakia have the same rights as anyone from each third country in the UK. Just etering UK with slovak passport does not make you a UK resident. You are just a tourist.
So the only way is to apply for bank account as a foreigner with a foreign proof of address. But not as UK resident. The most of high street banks will be happy to open a saving account for you if you are willing to deposit at least 100k GBP.

I would like to open an account in the UK bank, I live in Slovakia and have a sublet in the UK. Every bank like Lloyd, Metro, etc... won't let me open an account for unspecified reasons, can you help me? I have an EU passport, UK address proff and UK sim card, tnx for help

Whats wrong with using an EMI like Wise or Monese where you get local UK account details with UK sort code etc?

Sorry what are you trying to achieve here?

Every bank like Lloyd, Metro, etc... won't let me open an account for unspecified reasons
Did you try to open in person or remotely? Do you want a personal or business account?

None UK bank will open account for you if you are not registered as UK legal resident in a civic registry.
This is not correct. You can open personal accounts in the UK as a non-UK resident, even if you have no connection with the UK. Especially if you live in the EU, this is usually quite easy and an initial deposit of £1000 is accepted.

Reactions: jafo
You can open personal accounts in the UK as a non-UK resident, even if you have no connection with the UK. Especially if you live in the EU, this is usually quite easy and an initial deposit of £1000 is accepted.

That is interesting. Would you mind sharing the names of such banks where a personal account for a non-UK resident may be opened fairly easily?

Reactions: jafo
Every UK bank is connected to civic registry. None UK bank will open account for you if you are not registered as UK legal resident in a civic registry. You are allowed to apply for registration just if you are a legal resident.
Just having a sublet appartment does not make you a legal resident of the UK.
You as citizen of Slovakia have the same rights as anyone from each third country in the UK. Just etering UK with slovak passport does not make you a UK resident. You are just a tourist.
So the only way is to apply for bank account as a foreigner with a foreign proof of address. But not as UK resident. The most of high street banks will be happy to open a saving account for you if you are willing to deposit at least 100k GBP.
There is no such thing as a civic registry in the UK. Banks will however check your consumer credit files which list bank accounts & loans, credit cards, defaults etc. for current and previous addresses, and will also show if you are registered to vote in elections.

No Credit History Profile (No Credit Score) = you can't open a bank account as a UK resident. You should rent an apartment in your own name, get utility bills in your own name, sign up for a mobile phone contract and within 2 or 3 months you will be able to open a bank account as resident.

No Credit History Profile (No Credit Score) = you can't open a bank account as a UK resident. You should rent an apartment in your own name, get utility bills in your own name, sign up for a mobile phone contract and within 2 or 3 months you will be able to open a bank account as resident.

Of course you can. I did.
They will check your credit score/history but if you just moved in they will still let you open a bank account. They won't give you a loan that's all, at least for a little while.

Sure it is possible and free of charge as far as I remember, but you must have a UK debit or credit card and be a UK resident to do it online (google Equifax UK, Experian UK).
I use Kredit Karma, no need for a bank card at all with them, I don't know about the others. But they will check that your IP address is from the UK, if not, you won't be able to create an account/check your credit score with them.
UK residence is irrelevant, if you have a presence here (Business/loan/bank account/phone contract etc) you will be on the credit score agencies. Now most of the time, people with such contracts would be local residents indeed.

Is it possible to get a copy of my own Credit History Profile / Credit Score?
I am curious to know what it says about me.

Some banks such as Halifax, allows you to consult your credit score details from the banking app directly.

Reactions: Marie Manila