Our valued sponsor

Proxy residence in the UK - HMRC aware of my current address

AndyN

Oct 14, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone,
My post is regarding CRS and tax information exchange.

I immigrated to the UK a few years ago and lived there until 2019. I got a British passport and still maintain a personal bank account with a UK bank, registered to my former residential address there. I also still have an active UK mobile phone number.
I did not notify HMRC (UK taxman) nor the bank that I left the country. I am planning to notify only HMRC about this fact now.
Now I live in an EU country.

I want to open a company account with brokerage companies/banks in:
- USA (for a U.S. LLC)
- Australia and Switzerland (for a company in another jurisdiction, preferably Australia).

I am planning to use my UK passport for ID verification and bank account statement for proof of address when asked by the brokerage companies (as I will be the controlling person/beneficial owner of the companies). Presumably, they will send a CRS report/exchange tax information to HMRC.

My question is: how will HMRC react when they receive a report concerning myself if their records indicate I am no longer a UK resident? Will they somehow notify the tax authorities in my actual country of residence (I have to give them my current address when I notify them of leaving the UK, as far as I know - unless I am wrong?)?
Are there any other considerations I should take into account here?

The main thing here is you will have to choose where you will pay tax.

Have you informed your current country and are you paying tax there.

It's possible to but must be managed correctly.

Whether or not I informed my current country would not influence the actions that HMRC might take when they receive a CRS report about me. I am just interested in knowing what CRS standards say about such situations - CRS reports received by the wrong tax authorities

Until you choose where you are going to pay tax there is no point informing them.
You can prove your out of the country so they can only tax you for the period you where there unless you still receive some income in the UK.

If If do not notify HMRC and they get a CRS report, they will look at my nil tax record and most likely investigate. I would like them ideally to put the CRS in the trash when they get it and not forward it anywhere else - is that what happens with CRS reports sent to the wrong authorities?

Reactions: Sdrak