Our valued sponsor

Registering a supercar in Europe somewhere

Mr Gus

Feb 3, 2021
Liberia
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone has experience with getting a car registered in a country where they are not resident in and have put the car in name of a foundation or a company.

The reason why I am asking this is because I can't get my car registered in my current place of residence because of the HP output in combination with my age.

Ideally I am looking for a country where I can setup a foundation where I can register the car and also can get insurance on it.

if anyone has suggestions or if you know someone that could help me out please let me know.

Reactions: uplana
Hi, we ve done this for two different clients. We have registered the luxury car on a Cyprus company and they were using it abroad. Both clients were from Greece. The car maintained Cypriot signs. We have also put together a set of docs to keep them in the car, evidencing ownership and the right for them to use personally. Cars were insured from a local Cyprus insurance company. How old are you ?

Hi, we ve done this for two different clients. We have registered the luxury car on a Cyprus company and they were using it abroad. Both clients were from Greece. The car maintained Cypriot signs. We have also put together a set of docs to keep them in the car, evidencing ownership and the right for them to use personally. Cars were insured from a local Cyprus insurance company. How old are you ?
Thanks for your response. I am living on Malta so getting the car to Cyprus is practically going to be an issue I am afraid haha. How did your clients get the car off the island?

Typically you would only be able to to drive a car with foreign EU plates in another EU country for up to 6 months. It may be slightly different from one country to another.

After that, if you get stopped/checked by the authorities, you could potentially get into trouble as you would have broken some law/regulation.

In reality it’s hard to prove how long you had the car in the country… In Malta they would probably not notice U.K. or Italian plates that much whereas Cypriot plates would definitely stand out a lot.

As in the Cyprus example, Cypriot plates do appear in Greece from time to time so it would not raise that much suspicion there.

Typically you would only be able to to drive a car with foreign EU plates in another EU country for up to 6 months. It may be slightly different from one country to another.
AFAIK that's only for private cars. You can drive a foreign plate LEASED car as much as you want, as long as the leasing company is inside EU there should be no issues.

There are some companies that "buy" your supercars and lease it back to you with foreign plates and insurance. That way you will (usually) pay cheaper CO2/power road taxes, cheaper insurance etc.
as CyprusLawyer says, you have to keep some docs in the car otherwise they could impound it...
There were eastern europe ones like BG and RO, but those plate reputation is pretty bad nowadays.
There are German ones, CZ ones.
As long as you don't get caught or your envious neighbor puts you in troubles...
Another issue is the annual/inspection, it should be done in the plate country not where you live... if it's yearly this can be a big pita.

Reactions: CyprusLawyer101

After that, if you get stopped/checked by the authorities, you could potentially get into trouble as you would have broken some law/regulation.

In reality it’s hard to prove how long you had the car in the country… In Malta they would probably not notice U.K. or Italian plates that much whereas Cypriot plates would definitely stand out a lot.

As in the Cyprus example, Cypriot plates do appear in Greece from time to time so it would not raise that much suspicion there.
Yes I am aware of this, the car would not be driven on Malta actually and will be put in a garage and will be only used outside of Malta pretty much except for the few km's from the garage to the port in Malta.

I remembwr for one we bought he car from Germany, brought it through Cyprus customs, got it registered and then send with a boat/commercial vessel to an Athens port.
Every how many years do cars have to get inspected in Cyprus? Every 2 years?

AFAIK that's only for private cars. You can drive a foreign plate LEASED car as much as you want, as long as the leasing company is inside EU there should be no issues.

There are some companies that "buy" your supercars and lease it back to you with foreign plates and insurance. That way you will (usually) pay cheaper CO2/power road taxes, cheaper insurance etc.
as CyprusLawyer says, you have to keep some docs in the car otherwise they could impound it...
There were eastern europe ones like BG and RO, but those plate reputation is pretty bad nowadays.
There are German ones, CZ ones.
As long as you don't get caught or your envious neighbor puts you in troubles...
Another issue is the annual/inspection, it should be done in the plate country not where you live... if it's yearly this can be a big pita.
Yeah the annual inspection can be a pain for me if the car is registered in BG or RO its no really on route with the places I plan on going to with the car.

Ok but how will it work work the local authorities.

Just because it’s registered to a company they will let you keep in in the country longer than when it’s registered by a private person ? So the 6 months limit or whatever doesn’t apply ?

Ok but how will it work work the local authorities.

Just because it’s registered to a company they will let you keep in in the country longer than when it’s registered by a private person ? So the 6 months limit or whatever doesn’t apply ?
This differs country by country, but general rule is if you are resident you are not even allowed to drive around with foreign plates at all unless you have written permission from the applicable authorities.

Reactions: GPT
I don't know if you have car already but its best to just buy the car in UK and use address of a cheap car storage place in UK to register it with DVLA. Then just insure it with Sterling Insurance with their Walkabout insurance to use across Europe (but outside of Malta). In fact its not crazy expensive to have the car moved to where you need it in Europe.

P.S Malta registration tax on imported cars especially performance cars is outrageously expensive. Just calculate below registration tax on an imported Ferrari 812 Superfast eek¤%&. One of the reasons I left....lol.

P.S Malta registration tax on imported cars especially performance cars is outrageously expensive. Just calculate below registration tax on an imported Ferrari 812 Superfast eek¤%&. One of the reasons I left....lol.

That's just for your own safety. One step too hard on the gas and you'll find yourself permanently parked in the Mediterranean. ;)

I was wondering if anyone has experience with getting a car registered in a country where they are not resident in and have put the car in name of a foundation or a company.
This might not help in your case, but for people residing outside the EU, Andorra has "temporary" MT plates. Andorra has 4.5% VAT, instead of e.g. 19% in Germany etc., so quite a lot of money could be saved. The annual registration renewal can be done remotely with some private service providers.

Reactions: GPT and Mr Gus
This might not help in your case, but for people residing outside the EU, Andorra has "temporary" MT plates. Andorra has 4.5% VAT, instead of e.g. 19% in Germany etc., so quite a lot of money could be saved. The annual registration renewal can be done remotely with some private service providers.
This is interesting, is there any agency who can handle it?

They are called Eurolink. They have an office in Bulgaria and Germany, as far as I know. I could maaaybe find a phone if I look trough my phonebook, no idea if they have a website.
Can you pls share?

I don't know if you have car already but its best to just buy the car in UK and use address of a cheap car storage place in UK to register it with DVLA. Then just insure it with Sterling Insurance with their Walkabout insurance to use across Europe (but outside of Malta). In fact its not crazy expensive to have the car moved to where you need it in Europe.

Thanks will have a look!

Yeah the registration tax is outrages, I was actually willing to put it down if I where able to get a refund once the car is exported out of Malta but that isn't the case.

Latest Threads