Our valued sponsor

Robbery and safety

Marketint

Mentor Group Gold Premium
Jun 16, 2022
Bankok
Visit site
Hi everyone.

Many of you live in third world countries. Recently I have been a victim of attempted robbery 2x.

The first attacker used a knife and he lost them phone. The police didn't want to do anything because the attacker were home less people.

The last time 2 guys tried to steal my phone. This failed but resulted in some injuries .

I have discussed with some people and they agree that this is becoming a problem due to the poor economy.

I am afraid to do something back because I am a foreigner . You are always 0-1 behind .

Here Pepper spray is only allowed at home . Taser also .

What are your thoughts? I hear it's even worse in South and Central America.

Some time ago I watched this and I don’t wear expensive clothes or watches.

How do you deal with this? I mean I looks like we are facing a more dangerous world in the next decade because the bad economy ect.

Of course you have to use your brain. And use taxis but some situations are hard to avoid.

In this place this was never a problem but now I read daily about robbery in the local news.

We assume you live in a Latin American country, which one? There is a difference between living in Condesa in Mexico City and some bad areas of Buenos Aires or SP.

What do you look like?

Try to speak Spanish as fluently as possible
Don't stand out as much and blend in (harder if you have blonde hair except in Brazil)
Go to the gym and bulk up a bit
Avoid using your phone in open spaces and lock the screen as soon as you don't use it. It is very easy and fast to unlock it today with facial recognition. Avoid inputting your passcode when unlocking your device. Be mindful of cameras spying on your devices, especially in private establishments (coffee shops, restaurants)

If they just tried to steal your phone in the street and it was not targeted (home robbery) I'd say you have been unlucky and it's based on your looks/behavior.

Also avoid targeted attacked by not revealing too much about your finances/lifestyle across your social circles.

Secure your devices as much as possible. If you are kidnapped you are screwed no matter what but you can still protect yourself from petty theft.

If you have iOS update your phone to the latest update, they add password reset security feature on a stealed device (robbers cannot change your Apple ID password unless they log in from your home wifi)

Minimise the numbers of connected devices you have (including tablets, smart watches etc all garbage and useless in my opinion)

Last edited:
Reactions: kkein and Marketint
This was in Asia pattaya and just on the beach. There are a lot of home less people here now. I like to have a walk at the beach in the early morning. Because its not so hot. Since covid I have seen so much more home less people here sleeping on the sand.

About appearance. I look western and not like an asian. European appearance.

Yes maybe I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time.

About the phone you are right. This was my biggest concern. I try to install the most important apps on mulitple devices but not on daily basis. Have to do this more
frequently.

I was mostly curious how others experience this. Do you see an increase in crime?

I was mostly curious how others experience this. Do you see an increase in crime?

As a white man in a brown country, I haven't yet seen it myself, but the locals tell me about it, more and more.
"Don't go alone!" is their most common advice. (I don't.)
"Don't go to bars!" (and, by implication, bar areas.)
"Be careful, be careful. (Whatever that means.)

I don't like this trend at all, but where else is there that's better??
And so much better that it's worth the aggravation to move there?

My counter-measures (so far):

1. I don't go anywhere alone. Always with a local friend or two.
(They're happy to go with me, because I pay them.)

2. I stopped being out after dark years ago.

3. I've learned to use on-line aps for restaurant meals, groceries, and shopping
of all kinds.

4. I found a condo with a nice view and extra space, to substitute
for going "out".

5. I selected a condo in a middle-class, residential area, far away
from all tourists and from most other expats.

Not the supposed "romantic life" of an expat, it it?
But much safer and more relaxed that the threats of violence
from predators back in the USA.

As a white man in a brown country, I haven't yet seen it myself, but the locals tell me about it, more and more.

3. I've learned to use on-line aps for restaurant meals, groceries, and shopping
of all kinds.

for going "out".

sounds like you're on the way to self-imprisonment...

of all kinds.

for going "out".

sounds like you're on the way to self-imprisonment...
This is the nice life the western oligarchy is setting up for the 99%, while they spend their billions to figure how to move to Mars or to build their self-sustainable bunkers.

• Haha
Reactions: jafo
I agree you need to avoid to life like a prisoner. That’s why I choose to live here and not in South America. Maybe time to move to a new place.

You are all right that this happens all over the world . Cities as Frankfurt, Rotterdam, Marseille is more worse.

If this problem increase I was thinking about some self defense course.

I know here you have Muay Thai but you have such things Krav Maga Bangkok Self-Defense | Krav Maga Bangkok | T3 Thailand as I understand Krav Maga is used by the mossad.
Looks not bad right. At least you are able to defend yourself in the right way. I think not a bad investment if you have the time to do it

This is Krav Maga in a pill:
Krav Maga and all martial arts will get you Killed during any robberies since these are mostly done using Guns or Knives.

I do KickBoxing from 7 years and I could kill 90% of the men out there with my bare hands, but it's a big risk, you go to prison if you kill your robber if he's not armed,
and you end up dead if he has a weapon.

The solution is to live in a safe country or neighborood.

This was in Asia pattaya and just on the beach. There are a lot of home less people here now. I like to have a walk at the beach in the early morning. Because its not so hot. Since covid I have seen so much more home less people here sleeping on the sand.

Something Ive seen works in TH is to make a fuss about it online, specially in the police station's facebook page (if any). Be careful with the words you use because of defamation laws. But overall explain what is happening and that you have been refused help, then try to get some expat diary to engage with the news.

viola, next thing you know is 'they have found the people' and 'this wont happen again in the great Kingdom of Thailand'

I am afraid to do something back because I am a foreigner . You are always 0-1 behind .

Depends on the situation but for what I've seen smacking a guy because hes trying to rob you is fair game (in Pattaya)

Also someone above told you to bulk up a bit in the gym and I think thats a great idea; theres not many 5'5 140lbs Thais willing to go get in trouble with a 200 lbs dude.

Hi everyone.

Many of you live in third world countries. Recently I have been a victim of attempted robbery 2x.

The first attacker used a knife and he lost them phone. The police didn't want to do anything because the attacker were home less people.

The last time 2 guys tried to steal my phone. This failed but resulted in some injuries .

I have discussed with some people and they agree that this is becoming a problem due to the poor economy.

Here Pepper spray is only allowed at home . Taser also .

What are your thoughts? I hear it's even worse in South and Central America.

Some time ago I watched this and I don’t wear expensive clothes or watches.

How do you deal with this? I mean I looks like we are facing a more dangerous world in the next decade because the bad economy ect.

Of course you have to use your brain. And use taxis but some situations are hard to avoid.

In this place this was never a problem but now I read daily about robbery in the local news.
If someone tries to rob my phone, they can take it, i'd buy another later that day... seriously not worth the risk.

And this did happen to me a decade ago in Rawai (Phuket) around 3am.

Reactions: jafo and Marketint
It's all about how you look and carry yourself. A scrawny westener with cheap clothes is an easy target, the look might not mean wealth but it means at least 100 USD, and that's all a lot of people care about. Hiding behind cheap clothing doesn't really help, after all, you're in passport bro country for a reason.

A buffed westener with better quality clothes (better quality not designer) is a whole different story. It's a more intimidating look and energy, so I'd suggest you start going to the gym if you already don't, and pay for a personal trainer who knows what they're doing. That's the least you can do, boxing is what I'd really suggest but that's a lot more difficult and many people find that as a reason to not train themselves.

TLDR: Add 25 kilos of muscle mass and things change.

It's all about how you look and carry yourself. A scrawny westener with cheap clothes is an easy target, the look might not mean wealth but it means at least 100 USD, and that's all a lot of people care about. Hiding behind cheap clothing doesn't really help, after all, you're in passport bro country for a reason.

A buffed westener with better quality clothes (better quality not designer) is a whole different story. It's a more intimidating look and energy, so I'd suggest you start going to the gym if you already don't, and pay for a personal trainer who knows what they're doing. That's the least you can do, boxing is what I'd really suggest but that's a lot more difficult and many people find that as a reason to not train themselves.

TLDR: Add 25 kilos of muscle mass and things change.
I agree that muscles and confident look can make a difference when it comes to choosing targets BUT only an idiot gets involved in a fight of any kind when only money and things are at stake - it's a poor decision almost every time

i didn’t know it was that common in Phuket or Thailand in general.

I thought girls sneakily stealing from you was by far more common.

Is it really?
no, not common. Was just doing some "business research trip" (or better known as hitting the nightlife on some vacay) there.
But stuff like that can happen anywhere and to everyone really, its just a risk.

Lol, it's no surprise to see people recommend learning combat skills to take on muggers.

I don't disagree with learning how to fight. Boxing is the best choice. Krav maga is useless. But there are no rules on the street, and the vast majority of people are going to have a very bad day. Even if you land a shot at the guy asking for your phone, what do you do when his mate attacks you from behind? The referee isn't going to step in.