Our valued sponsor

Romania has 0% witholding tax for resident companies and non resident individuals?

Yesterday I searched online and it seems the taxes on foreign income for Estonian residents are 20%

Well this is straight from horse's mouth.

"Residents pay tax on their worldwide income. Taxable income includes, in particular, income from employment (salaries, wages, bonuses and other remuneration); business income; interest, royalties, rental income; capital gains; pensions and scholarships (except scholarships financed from state budget or paid on the basis of law). Taxable income does not include dividends paid by Estonian or foreign companies when the underlying profits have already been taxed."

Last sentence means that if the Estonian holding received dividends from any subsidiary, those diviends will be tax exempt when distributed to Estonian residends.

Reactions: Maitrey and KDX
Nope, under the micro-company scheme the least amount of tax payable is 1% of turnover till 1€ million
that's good enough for me.. can we use Wise for a Romanian company or what EMI will work?

You have plenty of choice since it will be a EU company you will get access to Wise, Revolut, Intergiro, Romanian banks
how about the setup, can this be done remote, is there any service provider you can recommend for the task and what are the costs?

finally, do we have any privacy or is all public like with a UK LTD ?

thank you.

do you confirm that:
- individuals non resident have 0%WHT;
- resident companies have 0%WHT (is the 1year holding period required?).

is it feasible in your opinion to have a non-resident shareholder individual receiving dividends WHT 0% and paying taxes in his residence country (e.g. cyprus or georgia at 0%)?

many thanks
hey guys the discussion went to other directions but I still have the doubt:

a NON-RESIDENT individual shareholder of micro-company in Romania gets dividends with 0% witholding tax? in practice Mr. Red (individual - non resident ) tax resident in cyprus and receiving 10K of dividends will not receive any taxation from romania?

hey guys the discussion went to other directions but I still have the doubt:

a NON-RESIDENT individual shareholder of micro-company in Romania gets dividends with 0% witholding tax? in practice Mr. Red (individual - non resident ) tax resident in cyprus and receiving 10K of dividends will not receive any taxation from romania?
I think you are correct, but my knowledge is not sufficient to give you an answer with certainty. I am however curious to know this for certain as well. Have you learned anything more since your last reply to this thread?

Taxable income does not include dividends paid by Estonian or foreign companies.
What would be the point to have an Estonian Holding company, if you can take the dividents out from company as an individual,
without withholding tax and with no tax on them as an estonian resident?

thanks.

In order to simplify the scheme one could simply use a Romanian company as holding and one as subsidiary.

Let's say RO-H (holding) and RO-T (trade).

RO-H has 100% of RO-T.
RO-T is a micro-company.

With a local structure things should be easier, substance also is there without big issues (the holding and the operative company can co-exist in the same spece/environment, not requiring travelling to take decisions). Clearly dividends from RO-T to RO-H should be distributed not before 1 year of holding, if I correctly understood. After one year also a capital gain Participation exemption applies, which is an additional plus.
You said “in order to simplify…”, but what is the point to have both, a holding and an operating company in Ro, when you could achieve what you want throught just the operating company?

Last edited:
For EU residency, that yes, it’s explicabile to form an estonian company.
Regarding point 2. , what level of Asset protection could you get throught the holding company? I see protection only against creditors from the RO operating company. Maybe i am wrong….

what level of Asset protection could you get throught the holding company? I see protection only against creditors from the RO operating company.

That’s correct it is always a good idea to have a layer or protection but then again it really depends on the type of business you have in Romania.

If you have a low risk business and you are an EU national you could certainly do without a holding company.

Nevertheless an Estonian holding could be useful to have since it distributes tax free dividends from other business in which you could hold shares or access to treaties company specific.

That’s correct it is always a good idea to have a layer or protection but then again it really depends on the type of business you have in Romania.

If you have a low risk business and you are an EU national you could certainly do without a holding company.

Nevertheless an Estonian holding could be useful to have since it distributes tax free dividends from other business in which you could hold shares or access to treaties company specific.
I would like to add that for holdings less than 10% you are allowed to credit foreign income tax against your Estonian income tax liability if certain conditions are met. For example, receiving dividends from US entities. The withholding tax is 15% according to the treaty. The tax amount paid will work as a tax credit against the corporate tax charge payable in Estonia when the Estonian company distributes the same dividend to its shareholder.

Reactions: Marzio
I would like to add that for holdings less than 10% you are allowed to credit foreign income tax against your Estonian income tax liability if certain conditions are met. For example, receiving dividends from US entities. The withholding tax is 15% according to the treaty. The tax amount paid will work as a tax credit against the corporate tax charge payable in Estonia when the Estonian company distributes the same dividend to its shareholder.

I didn’t know that, can you point me to a resourse where i can read more about the topic?

Reactions: Marzio

Latest Threads