Our valued sponsor

Safe investments

where would you invest substantial amount of money, for a decent return but still remaining as safe as possible???? let say 2mm+ usd
what is considered a good return for safe investments????

i am new in investment world but would love to learn
where should i start learning?

looking forward to hear @JohnnyDoe opinion
Remember that by definition a 100% safe investment gives 0% return.
Considering a long term average inflation rate of 3-5%, I am happy with low risk investments that yield 5-10%.
I like commercial NNN leases, secured loans, and crypto defi stuff.
Selling covered options is also a good strategy if your portfolio was built cheap enough.

This is the one book to read if you only want to read one book on the subject.

If you want to invest in real estate you can always buy REIT stocks like O, STOR, IRM, STAG, MPW, WPC, VICI...

These all give roughly 4-8% APY return in dividends + potential stock price growth.
For example O (Realty Income Corporation) pays dividends monthly so that would give you monthly income of about $7k.
You could take the cash each month or reinvest back into the stock.
And the best part is - you can be back in cash in 2-3 days (time needed for broker to take care of the sale and deposit your money into your account) so it's very liquid.

On that amount of stock you could easily make 10's of thousands per month extra selling options.
Not this is not easy and you would need to know what are you doing.

Other than that SP500 would be the best long term bet.
Since introduction taking all stock market crashes it averages about 11% APY return so on a longer period you really can't go wrong with that one.

Reactions: fasu and JohnnyDoe
If you want to invest in real estate you can always buy REIT stocks like O, STOR, IRM, STAG, MPW, WPC, VICI...

These all give roughly 4-8% APY return in dividends + potential stock price growth.
For example O (Realty Income Corporation) pays dividends monthly so that would give you monthly income of about $7k.
You could take the cash each month or reinvest back into the stock.
And the best part is - you can be back in cash in 2-3 days (time needed for broker to take care of the sale and deposit your money into your account) so it's very liquid.

On that amount of stock you could easily make 10's of thousands per month extra selling options.
Not this is not easy and you would need to know what are you doing.

Other than that SP500 would be the best long term bet.
Since introduction taking all stock market crashes it averages about 11% APY return so on a longer period you really can't go wrong with that one.
This is all good and true, but real estate is not a safe investment. You can lose a lot of money with it.

Reactions: JackAlabama
where would you invest substantial amount of money, for a decent return but still remaining as safe as possible???? let say 2mm+ usd
what is considered a good return for safe investments????

i am new in investment world but would love to learn
where should i start learning?

looking forward to hear @JohnnyDoe opinion
diversify into as much as you can/want and distribute across countries.
maybe get a second passport under which you hold half your assets.

It matters more where you store your assets than what assets you actually own.

This is all good and true, but real estate is not a safe investment. You can lose a lot of money with it.
Sure you can!
There is no safe investment.

But like any other investment it needs time.
If you're looking to flip that $2m into $4m in 2 years you should buy bitcoin or tesla and pray :)

Back to real estate, if you take that Realty Income Corporation stock and zoom out:
you'll notice that there are ups and downs but you can see the allover trend (for past 28 years) is positive - and this does not include dividends!

You just need to research the past history of the potential pool of REITs. Many of them were formed ten to twenty years ago and many have made consistent returns over that time, including through the period of the great financial crisis and the 2020 COVID crash. It is all about stellar management and consistent annual returns, which you can research yourself. And if can you buy them near a bottom, which should occur again sometime this year, then you can minimize your risk by creating a margin of safety.

Reactions: JimBeam

Latest Threads