Our valued sponsor

Secure chat to replace wickr

While I agree with their statement that “Privacy Is Worth Paying For”, I’m sure only 1% of my wickr contacts will agree with me gru87¤¤
you need ONE-OFF and ANY phone number to create Signal account - then it beats other options (putting aside couple of signs of immaturity in terms of user experience, but it's really unimportant)

matrix is probably the future but you'll hardly persuade your contact list to switch with you now

Reactions: KJK
Wickr is shutting down: Our focus on end-to-end encrypted enterprise communications

Let’s identify the best secure chat, easy to use, multi-device (Apple, android, windows), 100% private (without the need to provide a phone n)
Hello friends,

Threema is good for this (swiss servers, encryption, etc. ). Downside it is paid, which makes it harder to get everyone on the app.

Session is really good (no phone number, encrypted, minimizes metadata).

Briar is unbelievable. It sends messages over TOR and is decentralized. No single point of attack, really anonymous. It also has capabilities to send messages offline (over Bluetooth or other options for dead-drop style communications). Downside is android only.

XMPP is really good. You can use encryption like OTR or OMEMO (better), you can also run your own servers. There are many client apps for every device. Downside is harder to use, better for a technical crowd.

Matrix is similar to XMPP but not as good (more meta data). But easier to use.

If you require top security above those levels there are other much better systems to use that are much harder to set up.

Hello friends,

Threema is good for this (swiss servers, encryption, etc. ). Downside it is paid, which makes it harder to get everyone on the app.

Session is really good (no phone number, encrypted, minimizes metadata).

Briar is unbelievable. It sends messages over TOR and is decentralized. No single point of attack, really anonymous. It also has capabilities to send messages offline (over Bluetooth or other options for dead-drop style communications). Downside is android only.

XMPP is really good. You can use encryption like OTR or OMEMO (better), you can also run your own servers. There are many client apps for every device. Downside is harder to use, better for a technical crowd.

Matrix is similar to XMPP but not as good (more meta data). But easier to use.

If you require top security above those levels there are other much better systems to use that are much harder to set up.
Thank you!
Would you say that among the apps you mentioned Session is the most similar to Wickr?

I'd recommend Signal due to wide adoption - use a prepaid SIM and a cheap burner phone to verify the account.
That will work perfectly.

Latest Threads