Our valued sponsor

Seeking Advice on Tax Residency Options While Living Aboard

Braska

Nov 6, 2020
Visit site
Hi all!

I am currently exploring the possibility of establishing tax residency in an EU country while living aboard my sailing boat and working remotely.

Specifically, I'm interested in knowing if there are any EU countries with favorable tax residency conditions that would be compatible with a lifestyle centered around sailing. I am particularly curious about Cyprus NON-DOM, specifically the 2 months tax residency option, and would appreciate any insights or experiences members might have in this regard.

Here are a few specific questions to kick off the discussion:

1. Are there any EU countries known for their lenient tax residency requirements that would suit a sailing lifestyle?
  2. Is it possible to become NON-DOM in Cyprus and stay 2 months with the boat in a Marina?
  3. Are there any legal or regulatory considerations unique to living aboard a boat that I should be aware of when exploring tax residency options?
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and experiences! Thanks in advance!

When you get down to the minute details, residence can be complicated to define in practical terms. However, in cases where it is defined, residence is often defined as a place where you spend the majority of a day or where you (or a persona reasonably would) sleep that day or wake up.

I believe being moored in Cyprus could be accepted as residence (i.e. it's unlikely anyone in Cyprus would question it). So that would probably work. Cyprus doesn't ask a lot of questions.

However, it would be wise to maintain a normal land-based residence such as an apartment or villa on the island. There's more to this than just doing the bare minimum to qualify as tax resident. It's also good to have an address to which utilities and bank statements can be addressed, as you may need to provide proof of evidence or proof of economic substance/interest in Cyprus, in case someone else (a bank, a foreign tax authority) asks.

Hi all!

I am currently exploring the possibility of establishing tax residency in an EU country while living aboard my sailing boat and working remotely.

Specifically, I'm interested in knowing if there are any EU countries with favorable tax residency conditions that would be compatible with a lifestyle centered around sailing. I am particularly curious about Cyprus NON-DOM, specifically the 2 months tax residency option, and would appreciate any insights or experiences members might have in this regard.

1. Are there any EU countries known for their lenient tax residency requirements that would suit a sailing lifestyle?
  2. Is it possible to become NON-DOM in Cyprus and stay 2 months with the boat in a Marina?
  3. Are there any legal or regulatory considerations unique to living aboard a boat that I should be aware of when exploring tax residency options?
There are, but how do you earn your income?

Unfortunately, I am currently a resident in a tax-hell within Europe. However, I am exploring options to make a leap towards a more liberated and pirate-like lifestyle while working remotely and offering consultancy services :D;)

Considering the world of sailing, I believe it surely presents numerous opportunities and freedoms, especially in the realm of flag theory...!

Unfortunately, I am currently a resident in a tax-hell within Europe. However, I am exploring options to make a leap towards a more liberated and pirate-like lifestyle while working remotely and offering consultancy services :D;)

Considering the world of sailing, I believe it surely presents numerous opportunities and freedoms, especially in the realm of flag theory...!
Cuba is tax free for expats lol

I have a funny feeling we know each other. Does your first name start with A and do you live currently on an island near Türkiye?

Hi all!

Staying in the Marina in your own boat is equal to staying in an apartment, you are in the country, so that's not a problem in case you're wondering.
If you can get the Marina to receive your mail, your are set.

Reactions: alexandermass

Latest Threads