Our valued sponsor

Serious, do you consider Telegram to be secure and private?

These days, I would recommend Session or Briar for anonymity. For security Session too. Session uses the Signal protocol, but significantly reduces metadata leaks. Session has no central servers and messages are union routed by default.
Are you familiar with and know how the Signal protocol works? Or are you repeating the worlds of others that Session and Briar are safe?

More than a year has passed since the previous post in this thread. I have a question for dear comrades. Is there any known information discrediting Session's reputation?

Someone who does not remember sent me a comparison of messengers, maybe someone will be interested.
Digital Communications Protocols

Regarding the first item in the table - Matrix, I immediately want to add about the known problems
Matrix? No, thanks. — documentación de Hackea -

Last edited:
More than a year has passed since the previous post in this thread. I have a question for dear comrades. Is there any known information discrediting Session's reputation?
I haven’t come across anything specifically discrediting Session or Oxen. However, I'm not a fan of the app: it lacks PFS and is backed by an Australian company. I would recommend using Threema or Signal instead, simply and only because I prefer them over Session. For those particularly concerned about anonymity, consider using these apps over TOR. This setup offers benefits similar to Session, utilizing an Onion network for an added layer of privacy.
Someone who does not remember sent me a comparison of messengers, maybe someone will be interested.
Digital Communications Protocols

This is the most complete overview of messaging apps I have encountered so far, thanks for sharing!

Regarding the first item in the table - Matrix, I immediately want to add about the known problems
Matrix? No, thanks. — documentación de Hackea -
Amdocs being involved made me lol, given their role in numerous critical systems. That said, concerns persist about Matrix, especially with ongoing privacy issues. Despite efforts to enhance privacy, progress has been slow and continuous since 2018. Here’s more on their updates: [WIP] MSC1228: Removing MXIDs from events by richvdh · Pull Request #1228 · matrix-org/matrix-spec-proposals.

When choosing a messaging app, consider how you’ll use it. For general privacy-preserving communication, I recommend Signal or Threema. Session might also work, depending on your needs. For a tightly controlled environment with trusted contacts, consider Matrix + Client or XMPP. Other commercial solutions like AWS Wickr and Threema on-premise can also be adapted for secure settings. You would have to run it yourself, but you're then able control the network and access to the applications.

The most important part however remains the hygiene of your devices. Even the best app can't protect your communications on a compromised device. Opt for devices that get regular updates, have strict security settings, and perhaps additional monitoring capabilities. A well-configured device like a recent iPhone significantly reduces the risk of message interception, regardless of whether you use Telegram, Session, or Signal.

Reactions: Bura and jafo

Latest Threads