Our valued sponsor

Switzerland CFC rules

I presume you are were using a CH bank account. Did you come up with such a setup by yourself? It’s unusual and very smart.
No the bank account is in a different country.
I came up with this setup myself. Perhaps this thread should better be moved into the Gold group as we don’t want this solution to become of public domain if it’s unusual.

Reactions: Jerry1911
Perhaps this thread should better be moved into the Gold group as we don’t want this solution to become of public domain if it’s unusual.

Well it’s unusual at least to me.

In any case this setup has a lifespan of 6 months because i’ve read in some Cyprus thread that starting next year a non res CY company will have to be resident somewhere else, otherwise will be treated as a CY resident.

Well it’s unusual at least to me.

In any case this setup has a lifespan of 6 months because i’ve read in some Cyprus thread that starting next year a non res CY company will have to be resident somewhere else, otherwise will be treated as a CY resident.
You are right, starting from 1 Jan 2023 the party is over.
However, the new rules can be useful for other types of setup. In some instances, people wanted to make their CY company resident in CY but they couldn’t so easily due to the burdensome requirements that will no longer be in place from 2023.

No I am saying that when I was in Switzerland the Swiss tax authorities were fine with this setup. I don’t know if it is still valid. Also note that my companies dealt with IP and received royalties, so it might be different if the business is different (for example commerce).
Sorry that is not working any longer. I'm right now in Switzerland and work with some attorney here to get a setup for a customer. I asked out of curiosity if this is working, and they told no it is not.

But if it has been working for you then is is very smart.

Very very interesting, so if I open a holding company in Cyprus and keep my patents in that holding company, move my tax residency to Lugano in switzerland which is less than 3 hr drive to my R and D company in italy and my place of interest, receive 200k euros per year as interest / royalty from the cyprus company and pay tax on that and keep the swiss authorities happy, sell my company in Cyprus for 50mil euros in the next 5 years, I pay 0 capital gains or any taxes if i keep the money in the holding company in Cyprus? As an Italian citizen i dont need to negotiate any tax deal with any canton right ?? I have freedom of movement to move to Switzerland ? Can this structure work ? Ofcource i will move my tax residency to Switzerland and will actually move with my family.

No I am saying that when I was in Switzerland the Swiss tax authorities were fine with this setup. I don’t know if it is still valid. Also note that my companies dealt with IP and received royalties, so it might be different if the business is different (for example commerce).
I have IPs too, will it work? Or you think malta and Cyprus are better for company and personal taxes?

Very very interesting, so if I open a holding company in Cyprus and keep my patents in that holding company, move my tax residency to Lugano in switzerland which is less than 3 hr drive to my R and D company in italy and my place of interest, receive 200k euros per year as interest / royalty from the cyprus company and pay tax on that and keep the swiss authorities happy, sell my company in Cyprus for 50mil euros in the next 5 years, I pay 0 capital gains or any taxes if i keep the money in the holding company in Cyprus? As an Italian citizen i dont need to negotiate any tax deal with any canton right ?? I have freedom of movement to move to Switzerland ? Can this structure work ? Ofcource i will move my tax residency to Switzerland and will actually move with my family.

I have IPs too, will it work? Or you think malta and Cyprus are better for company and personal taxes?
It might not work well:

New regulations are coming to EU about EU holding companies. If you don't have substance in Cyprus, normal directors full time , offices and employees it might not work

It might not work well:

New regulations are coming to EU about EU holding companies. If you don't have substance in Cyprus, normal directors full time , offices and employees it might not work
Good to see you back, my holding company in Cyprus will have a nominee director and an office and all board meetings will happen there, just trying to see the feasibility of Switzerland if it can work, ofcource i am not trying to save 10k or 50k euros, I have more than 6 digits at stake if there is a screwup

Last edited:
Good to see you back, my holding company in Cyprus will have a nominee director and an office and all board meetings will happen there, just trying to see the feasibility of Switzerland if it can work, ofcource i am not trying to save 10k or 50k euros, I have more than 6 digits at stake if there is a screwup
Just read the proposed directive. Director will have to work full time. He will not be able to have other job. Office will have to be separate etc etc. Just nominee directors and board would not be enough
This regulation will kill holding companies in EU

My fair advice would remain the same. Just rent apartment in Monaco for your family and forget all taxes.

Reactions: troubled soul
Just read the proposed directive. Director will have to work full time. He will not be able to have other job. Office will have to be separate etc etc. Just nominee directors and board would not be enough
This regulation will kill holding companies in EU

My fair advice would remain the same. Just rent apartment in Monaco for your family and forget all taxes.
What if I keep a holding company outside of EU? Like UK ltd or UAE company which owns eu subsidiary?

So just as an exercise and to recap:

Non res CY company with US EIN is seen as resident in CY from US (otherwise US would not accord relief under DTA) but CY sees as not resident.

CH sees the non res CY company as resident outside CH (because shareholder ia not CH resident nor director)

The non res CY enjoys 0% tax and Johnny receives dividends tax free in Cyprus.

:cool:

This doesn't make sense? The DTA only applies to companies that are resident in one of the contracting countries? Sounds like a mistake on the part of the IRS...?

Forget it. It will not work due to lack of substance in UK or UAE
So I don't have any other option in europe to save on capital gains and minimise corporate tax? Only left with Malta, cyprus and Monaco for personal tax residency? Cyprus holding which allows me to pay 2.5% on qualifying patent income? Any other solutions then please let me know, thanks

So I don't have any other option in europe to save on capital gains and minimise corporate tax? Only left with Malta, cyprus and Monaco for personal tax residency? Cyprus holding which allows me to pay 2.5% on qualifying patent income? Any other solutions then please let me know, thanks
Holdings is thing which is decreasing for 5 years now. After ATAD3 regulation will be almost impossible to have holding in EU. Only for large corporations who can have full time employees and not only holding business.
I don't think this Cyprus 2.5% option will exist next year. After google scandal of tax avoidance through IP rights this area is very very strict now