Our valued sponsor

Switzerland CFC rules

D0naldDuck

Dec 28, 2020
Visit site
Hi guys,
Does anyone have experience with the CFC regime in switzerland?
I read online that they formally dont have CFC rules but there are some court rulings that have a similar effect as if they had CFC rules implemented.

Could I, as a tax resident of switzerland, run an offshore company (Hong kong, singapore) from switzerland without the need to pay tax on the company's profits in CH?

Best regards

Last edited:
Reactions: troubled soul
Could I, as a switzerland tax resident, run a offshore company (Hong kong, singapore) from switzerland without the need to pay tax on the company's profits in CH?

There are no CFC rules in CH.

Having said that, your question doesn't have to do with CFC rules but rather with PoEM rules meaning if you run your HK or SG company from CH it will be treated and taxed as a Swiss company because you manage those company from CH.

You need to have staff employed in those locations to prove that you are not managing the company from CH.

There are no CFC rules in CH.

Having said that, your question doesn't have to do with CFC rules but rather with PoEM rules meaning if you run your HK or SG company from CH it will be treated and taxed as a Swiss company because you manage those company from CH.

You need to have staff employed in those locations to prove that you are not managing the company from CH.
Thanks for your answer! :)
Would a simple nominee director be enough for that purpose?

Switzerland is happy to see a non res CY company with a US EIN, this is enough for considering it not managed from CH (as long as you are not it’s director and a CH resident).
So what you're saying is all we need is a US EIN and a nominee director for our offshore co no matter the jurisdiction and Swiss tax authorities will be fine with it in regards to place of effective management?

So what you're saying is all we need is a US EIN and a nominee director for our offshore co no matter the jurisdiction and Swiss tax authorities will be fine with it in regards to place of effective management?
No I am saying that when I was in Switzerland the Swiss tax authorities were fine with this setup. I don’t know if it is still valid. Also note that my companies dealt with IP and received royalties, so it might be different if the business is different (for example commerce).

Reactions: Jerry1911
Why were you using a non res CY company with US EIN?

What kind of advantage gave you such setup in respect to receiving royalties?
To take advantage of the DTA between US and CY in respect to royalties

Btw what exactly do you mean by non resident CY company?
CY lawyers here can explain better.
It wasn't resident in Cyprus nor Switzerland, so which country was it resident in?
smi(&%

To take advantage of the DTA between US and CY in respect to royalties

LOL US view the non res CY company as resident because you registered it as a foreign company and obtained an EIN?

Also to obtain relief under DTA more than 75% of the shares had to be owned by CY residents.

How were you able manage a non res CY company from CY without making the company tax resident?

Reactions: JustAnotherNomad
LOL US view the non res CY company as resident because you registered it as a foreign company and obtained an EIN?
I don’t know why but US was happy.
Also to obtain relief under DTA more than 75% of the shares had to be owned by CY residents.
ange¤%&
How were you able manage a non res CY company from CY without making the company tax resident?
I didn’t manage it from CY.

Not from CY, from CH. But CH didn't see it as tax resident in CH because he appointed a nominee director. Or two. Or another company.
Not from CH, I was also tax resident in another country smi(&%
And I was not a director.

So just as an exercise and to recap:

Non res CY company with US EIN is seen as resident in CY from US (otherwise US would not accord relief under DTA) but CY sees as not resident.

CH sees the non res CY company as resident outside CH (because shareholder ia not CH resident nor director)

The non res CY enjoys 0% tax and Johnny receives dividends tax free in Cyprus.

:cool:

So just as an exercise and to recap:

Non res CY company with US EIN is seen as resident in CY from US (otherwise US would not accord relief under DTA) but CY sees as not resident.

CH sees the non res CY company as resident outside CH (because shareholder ia not CH resident nor director)

The non res CY enjoys 0% tax and Johnny receives dividends tax free in Cyprus.

:cool:
Correct. Obviously the bank account is not in Cyprus.
CY company also has a VAT n registered with VIES.