Our valued sponsor

Tax Residency for PT

Even now, after the massive rains and flooding? :rolleyes:

I agree 100%! I love Hong Kong, too, because it's so close to Shenzhen (+/-15 minutes). The only negative aspect of Hong Kong is the overinflated real estate prices. It's impossible to justify throwing a few million into non-productive assets like this one: https://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/...-tsftv4/12-fu-kong-shan-road-lantau-island-hk. stupi#21

The worst? From my understanding, we do NOT get a right to live there year-round (residency?) by buying a property that +99.99% of Hongkongers can't afford. Ponder on that for a minute. Hong Kong (and other dastardly countries) allow foreigners to purchase property, but the foreigner can't (legally?) stay there for more than +/-180 days. In essence, the foreigner is charged a +100% "tax" on the property compared to locals. stupi#21

This is madness! :eek:
Just rent a property, you don't have to buy it, or get a mortgage :)

Reactions: jafo
For that you need to spend time there and pay tax there.

I think you mentioned earlier that being resident would be sufficient for this? Many countries (especially high-tax countries) automatically consider you tax resident under national law once you are formally resident.

It merely states that you pay tax there but this does not imply that another country cannot tax you as well.

True, but if there is a tax treaty, it would offer some degree of protection.
In the case of HK, it seems like they don't have a national concept of tax residency - it's only relevant in the context of tax treaties.

I think you mentioned earlier that being resident would be sufficient for this? Many countries (especially high-tax countries) automatically consider you tax resident under national law once you are formally resident.
There was a rule change for companies. For individuals, I am not sure.

True, but if there is a tax treaty, it would offer some degree of protection.
In the case of HK, it seems like they don't have a national concept of tax residency - it's only relevant in the context of tax treaties.
Yes, very very limited. Because the other treaty state can and will challenge the certificate if there is money involved.

If you want a Hong Kong visa, PM me, I can help you for free. But really note that you will lose it after 2 years if you do not pay tax.