Our valued sponsor

Tax Residency for PT

yngmind

Mentor Group Gold
Apr 26, 2020
Visit site
What countries provide fast tax residency up to 90 days, so you can combine it with living in 2 countries for less than 183 days and living 90 days in this country to get a tax residency?

Is there any solid option?

I would say something like Cyprus, but to maintain your Cyprus residency, you need to live there, so some investment visa in Cyprus might work.
Some Latin American countries, like Paraguay, can work.

What about the EU or Asia?
Let's discuss.

Particularly interested in where is the Nomad Capitalist guy Andrew Henderson is a tax resident.

He splits his time between Malaysia, Columbia, and Serbia, and he travels a lot. He is a tax resident in some countries with low taxes. He said they don't tax him because his income wasn't generated in this country, and they allow him to be a tax resident without residing there for 183 days. Hmmm, can it be Georgia? What are other options?

Nonresidents are subject to Georgia income tax on taxable activities carried on within Georgia.

It seems like he is a tax resident in Georgia for high-net individuals - HNWI Georgia Tax Residency

Last edited:
Reactions: jafo
Just for your information, in Hong Kong you are already tax resident if you are an ordinary resident without any required days per year. Sark is the same by the way.

You more often than not need to work the other way round, i.e. what is needed not to be tax resident in the other country. And very soon, you will find out that even 1 day may suffice or even 0 days if you are registered as resident with the authorities.

For good Andrew, I think Georgia and Montenegro are his favourite places to spend his time. He most likely does not have too much direct income he is taxed on.

You more often than not need to work the other way round

100%. Tax residency somewhere else is not always required and doesn't always get you off the hook. Not all tax residencies are equal, especially HNW schemes that don't always carry the same weight.

We should be very careful about concepts such as "less than 183 days" unless talking about a specific jurisdiction, because the rules vary so much.

Nonresidents are subject to Georgia income tax on taxable activities carried on within Georgia.

Same with residents, whether legal residence or tax residence. Same for citizens too, unusually. There's a very odd exception (tax resident working outside Georgia for an employer in a third country) but mostly Georgian tax has little to do with tax residence, for natural persons.

What countries provide fast tax residency up to 90 days, so you can combine it with living in 2 countries for less than 183 days and living 90 days in this country to get a tax residency?

Is there any solid option?

I would say something like Cyprus

Cyprus doesn't consider you tax resident if any other country has a tax claim on you, unless you spend 183+ days in Cyprus.
So it's completely worthless if there is a risk of any other country claiming you as tax resident.

Some Latin American countries, like Paraguay, can work.

Paraguay officially requires 183+ days per year for tax residency, though I have heard there may be some ways to declare it your center of vital interests and receive a tax residency certificate regardless. But you'd still have to rent a place there for the whole year, as far as I know.
Paraguay doesn't have a lot of tax treaties either.

The UAE is still a solid option.

Just for your information, in Hong Kong you are already tax resident if you are an ordinary resident without any required days per year. Sark is the same by the way.
https://www.oecd.org/tax/automatic-...nce/tax-residency/Hong-Kong-Tax-Residency.pdf

Sark isn't that interesting since they have almost no tax treaties (except with the UK).
But HK actually has a good tax treaty network. Is it difficult to become (paper) resident there?
I actually really, really like HK and have thought about moving there in the future, if it wasn't for the weather and the high prices...

Sark isn't that interesting since they have almost no tax treaties (except with the UK).
But HK actually has a good tax treaty network. Is it difficult to become (paper) resident there?
I actually really, really like HK and have thought about moving there in the future, if it wasn't for the weather and the high prices...
I also like HK. It's one of the best places I've visited.

I don't like that they don't really speak English; they don't even speak Mandarin. They speak a Cantonese dialect of Chinese, which you can't find in Google Translate. The reading is the same, but it sounds different from Mandarin.

I had a situation with a taxi driver, I've used google translate to read the Mandarin, and he couldn't undestand anything, I was so pissed off, I though how come this guy doesn't understand Mandarin, then I've realised that they don't speak Mandarin lol.

I don't like it being connected to China, there is no Hong Kong citizenship btw, they're citizens of China, but they have HK passport.

In Singapore, however, English is widely spoken, but it's boring and very humid!

Attachments

• 1713348539791.jpeg
    1713348539791.jpeg
    110.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 1713348551296.jpeg
    1713348551296.jpeg
    133.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 1713348573797.jpeg
    1713348573797.jpeg
    156.5 KB · Views: 15
  • 1713348580117.jpeg
    1713348580117.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 17
My point was that I wouldn't want to live in HK permanently (too cold in winter, too expensive), but having tax residency there could be great! Especially since HK has quite a few tax treaties.
Anybody know what it takes to become resident there?

I can imagine they're making it easier now. I have heard a lot of people are leaving because the place is becoming less and less friendly, police is becoming strict, it's becoming more authoritarian, much more like mainland China.
I was actually in mainland China recently and really don't feel like returning anytime soon. With cameras everywhere etc.
But HK is still a different matter...

What kind of visa would that be? Do you have to start a company there or can you just kind of get a digital nomad visa?

The UAE is still a solid option.
Even now, after the massive rains and flooding? :rolleyes:
I agree 100%! I love Hong Kong, too, because it's so close to Shenzhen (+/-15 minutes). The only negative aspect of Hong Kong is the overinflated real estate prices. It's impossible to justify throwing a few million into non-productive assets like this one: https://www.sothebysrealty.com/eng/...-tsftv4/12-fu-kong-shan-road-lantau-island-hk. stupi#21

The worst? From my understanding, we do NOT get a right to live there year-round (residency?) by buying a property that +99.99% of Hongkongers can't afford. Ponder on that for a minute. Hong Kong (and other dastardly countries) allow foreigners to purchase property, but the foreigner can't (legally?) stay there for more than +/-180 days. In essence, the foreigner is charged a +100% "tax" on the property compared to locals. stupi#21

This is madness! :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: ilke and yngmind
You can live there as long as you leave once per 90 or 180 days. But as even locals go to China on the weekend, this normally is not a problem.

The property prices are same as in Zug etc. People just calculate their tax saving over a decade and are willing to pay that much more for real estate. I can it market value in a free market. If course it is insane but the culprit is the UN with their illegal cartel against free people independent of corrupt governments. The OECD would better introduce a maximum tax rate if 20% any time soon to stop this madness.