Our valued sponsor

Thailand is no longer an option: What else?

Please, enlighten me. What am I missing? I'm not referencing nominal but CPI adjusted. Already deflated.
now youre getting closer to the root.
To me, putting money in Thailand other than the expense would add risk but less return. There are better markets(higher rr) to invest
Which ones? all these are roughly the same. Singapore too has a broad and extensive political risk for western passport holders, going forward with an eventual war with US/ China.
Thailand has a more straight forward approach towards investing than others if you hit it from the right angle.

CPI adjusted is not something you need to be concerned over...

Everything - the entire world is driven by refinance cycles, the entire world blew up in 2008 and there was a debt jubilee, today that leads to re-finance cycles, and printing the difference, the only thing that offsets the amount of printing needed is productivity, in a world of declining western productivity, that is offset with technology.

Hence the NASDAQ has outperformed currency debasement and the S&P hasn't, now Crypto also serves the same function as it's both Technology + Finance -> and resolves a hell of a lot of productivity constraints (the promise) the volatility however makes it riskier.

CB Balance Sheets (G7) rise = currency debasement = Tech stocks +, Crypto+ outperforming the market and currency debasement, whereas S&P + but static comparable to spending power (currency debasement).

This has occurred since 2013 (European Debt Crisis).

America is where it's impacted, because the vast bulk of Wealth from Europe etc is invested in the US, the US benefits from it as it provides the powerhouse for the economy, Europe doesn't really get impacted due to demographic decline except in the youth.

"To me, putting money in Thailand other than the expense would add risk but less return. There are better markets(higher rr) to invest" its called diversification (geopolitical, demographics, monetary, technological, commodities etc)

Thailand for example would make up a % of your portfolio, low 1 figure % wise.

There's some high returns in the Thai markets, and to be fair it will absorb or already is a lot of the manufacturing from China - US issues, which provides significant opportunity.

I am not referring to real-estate, bars etc, but productive companies/industries.

Just seen this in a article : roedl.com

In general, the Thai Revenue Code states that a tax resident is only required to pay tax on foreign-sourced income (e.g., income received from employment abroad from a foreign employer, income received from property located abroad, etc.) if such income is brought into Thailand (remittance principle). Under the current interpretation of the Thai Revenue Code, foreign sourced income was only subject to tax, if it was remitted into Thailand in the same year the tax resident has derived such income. Thus, foreign-sourced income was not subject to Thai income tax, if the assessable income was not brought into Thailand within the same tax year the tax resident has received it. Thus, if foreign-sourced income received abroad in 2021 was brought into Thailand in 2022, it was not subject to Thai income tax.

The aforementioned regulation now states that foreign-sourced assessable income is subject to Thai income tax when brought to Thailand regardless of the year it has been derived. Thus, foreign-sourced income received in 2024 and brought into Thailand in 2025 would now also be subject to Thai income tax. The guideline is scheduled to be enforceable from 1 January 2024 onwards. Thus, while maintaining the remittance principle, Thailand would widen the scope of taxable income significantly.

The Director-General of the Revenue Department announced a “focus group” to “discuss” the impacts of the guidelines, also assuring that there will be no double taxation. In this regard, the Revenue Department issued a clarification on 19 September, outlining that income previously taxed abroad would not be taxed in Thailand, subject to applicable treaties on the avoidance of double taxation. For example, in the case of income received from immovable property, the tax treaty between Germany and Thailand states that such income shall be taxed in the country the property is situated in.

It remains to be seen how the regulation will be implemented in practice after the feedback of the focus groups. Thailand seems to want to address the case that income is neither taxed abroad or in Thailand (due to the current implementation of the remittance principle in Thailand), i.e., the opposite case of double taxation.

Now setting aside those that live off income overseas in the same year, still being shafted, for those that own equity in on-going concerns overseas, they'd still be tax free i.e until they remit any dividends/income from *unless earning a income and remitting*.

My concern has always been the idea that i'd be charged tax for the ownership of a ongoing concern just because of being a equity owner.

Seems this interpretation is a little fairer, and opens up other avenues for bringing money in almost tax free if residing in Thailand from savings etc via the current deductions/gifting allowances.

Which ones? all these are roughly the same. Singapore too has a broad and extensive political risk for western passport holders, going forward with an eventual war with US/ China.
Thailand has a more straight forward approach towards investing than others if you hit it from the right angle.
Not really, just because it has a ethnic Chinese community, Singapore has always straddled the line of playing with both sides geopolitically, i.e being neutral.

Last edited:
Reactions: thomasparra
----

Little nugget i was mulling over after reading articles - came across some tax references ref Crypto might surprise the crypto bros.

1) Crypto people, it was declared in Thaland a few years ago, that Crypto is trading occurring anywhere is taxable in Thailand (unenforceable though) because crypto has no borders as such its in Thailand with you.

2) By that same statement, any funds you have in Thailand in the form of savings redeemed into Fiat are by definition not remitted because its with you all the time, regardless of being overseas for example.

3) As such its not taxable as its savings within Thailand.

4) Someone should explore that with a legal profession, but it leaves a little nugget of opportunity for a loophole on all past funds sitting idle (non traded).

CPI adjusted is not something you need to be concerned over...

Everything - the entire world is driven by refinance cycles, the entire world blew up in 2008 and there was a debt jubilee, today that leads to re-finance cycles, and printing the difference, the only thing that offsets the amount of printing needed is productivity, in a world of declining western productivity, that is offset with technology.

Hence the NASDAQ has outperformed currency debasement and the S&P hasn't, now Crypto also serves the same function as it's both Technology + Finance -> and resolves a hell of a lot of productivity constraints (the promise) the volatility however makes it riskier.

CB Balance Sheets (G7) rise = currency debasement = Tech stocks +, Crypto+ outperforming the market and currency debasement, whereas S&P + but static comparable to spending power (currency debasement).

This has occurred since 2013 (European Debt Crisis).

America is where it's impacted, because the vast bulk of Wealth from Europe etc is invested in the US, the US benefits from it as it provides the powerhouse for the economy, Europe doesn't really get impacted due to demographic decline except in the youth.

"To me, putting money in Thailand other than the expense would add risk but less return. There are better markets(higher rr) to invest" its called diversification (geopolitical, demographics, monetary, technological, commodities etc)

Thailand for example would make up a % of your portfolio, low 1 figure % wise.

There's some high returns in the Thai markets, and to be fair it will absorb or already is a lot of the manufacturing from China - US issues, which provides significant opportunity.

I am not referring to real-estate, bars etc, but productive companies/industries.

Just seen this in a article : roedl.com

In general, the Thai Revenue Code states that a tax resident is only required to pay tax on foreign-sourced income (e.g., income received from employment abroad from a foreign employer, income received from property located abroad, etc.) if such income is brought into Thailand (remittance principle). Under the current interpretation of the Thai Revenue Code, foreign sourced income was only subject to tax, if it was remitted into Thailand in the same year the tax resident has derived such income. Thus, foreign-sourced income was not subject to Thai income tax, if the assessable income was not brought into Thailand within the same tax year the tax resident has received it. Thus, if foreign-sourced income received abroad in 2021 was brought into Thailand in 2022, it was not subject to Thai income tax.

The aforementioned regulation now states that foreign-sourced assessable income is subject to Thai income tax when brought to Thailand regardless of the year it has been derived. Thus, foreign-sourced income received in 2024 and brought into Thailand in 2025 would now also be subject to Thai income tax. The guideline is scheduled to be enforceable from 1 January 2024 onwards. Thus, while maintaining the remittance principle, Thailand would widen the scope of taxable income significantly.

The Director-General of the Revenue Department announced a “focus group” to “discuss” the impacts of the guidelines, also assuring that there will be no double taxation. In this regard, the Revenue Department issued a clarification on 19 September, outlining that income previously taxed abroad would not be taxed in Thailand, subject to applicable treaties on the avoidance of double taxation. For example, in the case of income received from immovable property, the tax treaty between Germany and Thailand states that such income shall be taxed in the country the property is situated in.

It remains to be seen how the regulation will be implemented in practice after the feedback of the focus groups. Thailand seems to want to address the case that income is neither taxed abroad or in Thailand (due to the current implementation of the remittance principle in Thailand), i.e., the opposite case of double taxation.

Now setting aside those that live off income overseas in the same year, still being shafted, for those that own equity in on-going concerns overseas, they'd still be tax free i.e until they remit any dividends/income from *unless earning a income and remitting*.

My concern has always been the idea that i'd be charged tax for the ownership of a ongoing concern just because of being a equity owner.

Seems this interpretation is a little fairer, and opens up other avenues for bringing money in almost tax free if residing in Thailand from savings etc via the current deductions/gifting allowances.

Not really, just because it has a ethnic Chinese community, Singapore has always straddled the line of playing with both sides geopolitically, i.e being neutral.
Im with you on this up until 2019 and Im obv biased here, but I still do not regret having liquidated my entire sing portfolio including closing accounts.

Too small and they will be forced to take sides, its clear which one.
In the not so distant past, it showed its stance with flying colors and they have left a clue of it going forward in getting work permits renewed in 2023. Not wanting to cause a debate about it, but for me this is a clue about it being a non-investable place.

Reactions: wellington
1) Crypto people, it was declared in Thaland a few years ago, that Crypto is trading occurring anywhere is taxable in Thailand (unenforceable though) because crypto has no borders as such its in Thailand with you.

I've read this statement, don't remember from who and when, something like "crypto is always with you".

But, first, declaration is not law.

Secondly, we all know the expression "Not your keys, not your coins" and in case you keep your cryptos on a CEX outside of Thailand, this is non-custodial as you're giving the foreign exchange custody of your assets. So, cryptos are not technically with you and trading happening on the exchange is non-local.

Reactions: TheCryptoAnt
The nominal growth you refer to is based purely on CB Balance sheets and refinance cycles.

It's all a mirage.

The only things that outperform it is technology as that offsets the productivity collapse.

As for the CPI it's not even worth discussing the calculation is purely political based on the whims of the populistic politics of the day, what matters is math and thats explicit.

Here, have a look at the following charts, work out where your idea of growth is flawed.

In JPG format

Please feel free to start another thread with a title "S&P 500 is flat since 2013" and I will happily show you the real numbers and how the S&P 500 is NOT flat since 2013 (I promise I will account inflation into the calculation.)

• Haha
Reactions: Revoltec
There is now a Q&A published by the Thai Revenue Department on the proposed remittance tax changes: https://www.rd.go.th/fileadmin/centralize/news_law_update/2566/QnA41_2.pdf This is however rather difficult for Google Translate to understand, so this is more for fluent speakers of Thai. Apparently, it states that any income transferred to Thailand from years in which you were not tax resident in Thailand is tax free. Also it states that only income, but not capital remitted is taxed, though it is unclear, how this distinction between income and capital is made in practice with most capital really being income of some prior years.

You'll have to look through past revenue department statements (few years ago).
I've read this statement, don't remember from who and when, something like "crypto is always with you".

Please feel free to start another thread with a title "S&P 500 is flat since 2013" and I will happily show you the real numbers and how the S&P 500 is NOT flat since 2013 (I promise I will account inflation into the calculation.)
Real growth is flat, nominal growth is irrelevant.

Only a idiot chases nominal growth without factoring real growth, real growth is chased by the quants, smartest and largest private wealth funds in the world.

Well laid out here by RP.

I have no need to argue this further, you can chase pennies in front of fright trains and leave the real cap managagement to us adults that understand the markets obviously.

Just gone through that PDF: https://www.rd.go.th/fileadmin/centralize/news_law_update/2566/QnA41_2.pdf

- Ok, some thoughts.

If own own company overseas and do not remit funds into Thailand = no tax, if remit 5 yrs later (example) = tax.
If sell / rent property overseas and remit = tax
if earn income overseas and remit = tax

In a nutshell they are going to use the CRS data, and the subject is responsible for proving there's no tax...

Having said that...

Debit/Credit for big ticket items such as Insurances etc (for us that's like 450,000 THB a year all added together) can be paid for with a card (overseas) and it's not remitted, as it can be done online from a overseas card (VAT applies though).

Other things such as food etc possibly could get away with pre-paid overseas card in stores - for those pushing the risk barrier.

House Hold Staffing - paid from overseas, staff declares / pays tax where relevant (establish overseas vehicle to route their contracts through).

Medical - Singapore

Day to Day living 100/150,000 THB only equates to around 200-250k tax before deductions.. education donations are good deductions - get 30,000 discount for 15,000 donation. (i will now start recording all the donations, as we don't usually track these but give substantial over the years).

Big ticket items (would suggest reside outside of Th in that year and remit) (bounce around)

There's a few other things but for the most part i already have a period in mind 25/26 season for my dividends and i won't be tax resident nor was planning to be that period in Thailand for obvious reasons before this news hit.

So all in its ok, does mean some changes (life) but ultimately nothing too concerning.

---

One way FYI is to get around it, transfer (gift) to wife/family - upto 20m THB and then get back from them. tax free -> that's covered in there.

Last edited:
Debit/Credit for big ticket items such as Insurances etc (for us that's like 450,000 THB a year all added together) can be paid for with a card (overseas) and it's not remitted, as it can be done online from a overseas card (VAT applies though).

Other things such as food etc possibly could get away with pre-paid overseas card in stores - for those pushing the risk barrier.
Thailand is planning to monitor foreign card use according to Amcham presentation

Thailand is planning to monitor foreign card use according to Amcham presentation
Credit/Debit card is the interesting one, depends on whether it's pre-paid or not i suppose.

But kind of irrelevant if you can process the transactions online from overseas card, its not remittance then, just a purchase of a product/service subject to the VAT of the country.

I.e Car Insurance - in Thailand they like cash (bank transfers) and charge a premium for card (3%).

In a world where the insurance may aid in notching you up the tax brackets, then it's worthwhile, either doing a domestic card transaction online with a overseas card, or doing a international card transaction (int co) with a international card.

I just ran through the numbers curiosity drove such, wife will have a max of 500k THB tax, mine is savings so just have to provide evidence its savings.

Reactions: JackAlabama
You'll have to look through past revenue department statements (few years ago).

Real growth is flat, nominal growth is irrelevant.

Only a idiot chases nominal growth without factoring real growth, real growth is chased by the quants, smartest and largest private wealth funds in the world.

Well laid out here by RP.

I have no need to argue this further, you can chase pennies in front of fright trains and leave the real cap managagement to us adults that understand the markets obviously.

Just gone through that PDF: https://www.rd.go.th/fileadmin/centralize/news_law_update/2566/QnA41_2.pdf

- Ok, some thoughts.

If own own company overseas and do not remit funds into Thailand = no tax, if remit 5 yrs later (example) = tax.
If sell / rent property overseas and remit = tax
if earn income overseas and remit = tax

In a nutshell they are going to use the CRS data, and the subject is responsible for proving there's no tax...

Having said that...

House Hold Staffing - paid from overseas, staff declares / pays tax where relevant (establish overseas vehicle to route their contracts through).

Medical - Singapore

Day to Day living 100/150,000 THB only equates to around 200-250k tax before deductions.. education donations are good deductions - get 30,000 discount for 15,000 donation. (i will now start recording all the donations, as we don't usually track these but give substantial over the years).

Big ticket items (would suggest reside outside of Th in that year and remit) (bounce around)

There's a few other things but for the most part i already have a period in mind 25/26 season for my dividends and i won't be tax resident nor was planning to be that period in Thailand for obvious reasons before this news hit.

So all in its ok, does mean some changes (life) but ultimately nothing too concerning.

---

One way FYI is to get around it, transfer (gift) to wife/family - upto 20m THB and then get back from them. tax free -> that's covered in there.
It seem to be okay in the greater scheme of things, and based on your personal situation.

If income is taxed (remitted or not), are foreign dividends taxed too (from passive investments such as stock ETFs, and most importantly from businesses you are actively managing or invested in), if not remitted?

It seem to be okay in the greater scheme of things, and based on your personal situation.

If income is taxed (remitted or not), are foreign dividends taxed too (from passive investments such as stock ETFs, and most importantly from businesses you are actively managing or invested in), if not remitted?
Income overseas not remitted is tax free....

That won't change, but if later remitted will be taxed.. onus is on the remitter to provide documented evidence, Thai government is under the illusion that CRS will give them the information, but for example most of my life and most people i know is outside of CRS as i don't hold cash or similar.

So their theory is full of holes... but then they put the onus on you.

Dividends are taxable... they base it on profit solely (documented evidence).

Those year(s) i will simply travel or base myself in HK/Dubai.

Otherwise yes the new doc that came out the other day squared a lot of things away (concerns).

Income overseas not remitted is tax free....

That won't change, but if later remitted will be taxed.. onus is on the remitter to provide documented evidence, Thai government is under the illusion that CRS will give them the information, but for example most of my life and most people i know is outside of CRS as i don't hold cash or similar.

So their theory is full of holes... but then they put the onus on you.

Dividends are taxable... they base it on profit solely (documented evidence).

Those year(s) i will simply travel or base myself in HK/Dubai.

Otherwise yes the new doc that came out the other day squared a lot of things away (concerns).

Also using a non CRS credit card (US for instance if you can) could help with filling the not remitted requirement. Even if they were to investigate a high profile case, I am not sure they could access their information from the credit cards companies or the payment processors in Thailand.

Overseas income is not taxable, but foreign dividends/capital gains are? What if you do not remit these dividends or capital gains?

I think I would give Thailand a year or two and see what will actually happen on the ground. As you said it's all theory now and the tax office is still obviously confused.

Dubai seems to be the most flexible juridiction if you are willing to throw more money and/if your business has high earnings. I'm in the process of getting a 3 year visa in HK to have my base here as it made more sense than Dubai for me. Did you remove Malaysia from your list?

Overseas income is not taxable, but foreign dividends/capital gains are? What if you do not remit these dividends or capital gains?
Just on a call to revenue department reference.

Ok just confirmed, no tax if you own a company overseas (equity) and get dividends, if remain in Thailand over 180 days, but don't bring funds in you don't have to pay tax.

If you later bring funds in (say 5 yrs later) you have to pay tax.

Also using a non CRS credit card (US for instance if you can) could help with filling the not remitted requirement. Even if they were to investigate a high profile case, I am not sure they could access their information from the credit cards companies or the payment processors in Thailand.
Wouldn't recommend US rails for people wishing to take that risk, most of this is the US pushing.

I'd imagine Chinese rails would be better.

Dubai seems to be the most flexible juridiction if you are willing to throw more money and/if your business has high earnings. I'm in the process of getting a 3 year visa in HK to have my base here as it made more sense than Dubai for me. Did you remove Malaysia from your list?
I lived in Dubai previously it was a horror show, for a number of reasons, it's soulless, defunct of any character.
In addition countries that don't charge tax generally don't do accounting of tax free income... and this causes a lot of issues we now have with say bringing savings into say Thailand.

Better to pay a small amount of tax (say 3%) .

Last edited:

Ok just confirmed, no tax if you own a company overseas (equity) and get dividends, if remain in Thailand over 180 days, but don't bring funds in you don't have to pay tax.

Wouldn't recommend US rails for people wishing to take that risk, most of this is the US pushing.

That is very promising. I assume overseas equity also includes ETFs investments (cap gains + dividends) as long as not brought into Thailand.

UP in Philippines might make sense, especially using prepaid cards for full anonymity. USA does not share information through CRS, but communicate on a case by case basis so if Thailand were to ask about you to the US they might share it, but realistically I don't see this happening as a non-US person. Also this is assuming i) Thailand investigates you specifically ii) they know you are using credit cards thru which you indirectly remit to TH and iii) they know they are issued in the US (which is hard to access without CRS or credit card/payment processor info access). US seems pretty solid to me but you will never beat prepaid anonymous cards in terms of safeguarding your identity.

At the end of the day I don't think Thai tax authorities will waste their time investigating for this type of stuff, except for high profile cases (8 to 9 figures)

**NOT THAT I AM ADVOCATING TAX EVASION OR VIOLATING THE LAW**

But i remember over a decade ago, there was great difficulty getting money OUT of Thailand, legal firms used with presence overseas (say HK) that had offices in Thailand used to charge 7% to charge a THAI Credit Card and move funds from Thailand to HK Company (overseas) and from there the funds could be moved anywhere in the world. This was how capital controls were over-ridden.

I imagine at some-point something similar will occur but with funds coming in - 7% is a lot less than say 15%, and factor in at the higher end, 35% + 7% VAT Thailand becomes completely off the zone for investment / living...

I've already been observing Russian intermediaries that sit in the middle of transactions [some moving funds out], and others moving funds in.. This will always occur, also a flight (5,000 THB) to Malaysia and withdraw 10,000$ equivalent would / could save thousands in taxes.

Thailand has truly shot itself in the foot, and the impact will be felt far and wide, they should have instead concentrated on actually taxing the 96% of the population that do not pay tax but certainly earn (in a large chunk) enough to be on the lowest band, instead of trying to unjustly rob retirees, nomads, Wealthy expats and of-course the productive side of Thai society to fund their populist vote buying.

That is very promising. I assume overseas equity also includes ETFs investments (cap gains + dividends) as long as not brought into Thailand.

UP in Philippines might make sense, especially using prepaid cards for full anonymity. USA does not share information through CRS, but communicate on a case by case basis so if Thailand were to ask about you to the US they might share it, but realistically I don't see this happening as a non-US person. Also this is assuming i) Thailand investigates you specifically ii) they know you are using credit cards thru which you indirectly remit to TH and iii) they know they are issued in the US (which is hard to access without CRS or credit card/payment processor info access). US seems pretty solid to me but you will never beat prepaid anonymous cards in terms of safeguarding your identity.

At the end of the day I don't think Thai tax authorities will waste their time investigating for this type of stuff, except for high profile cases (8 to 9 figures)
On those that's covered differently, my question was specific to owning a company or larger % of equity and getting 'income in the form of either salary/dividends)' and whether that was taxable if left outside of Thailand - answer was clear cut NO, only taxed if brought in.

As for your specific question, the principle is non-taxable, the profit is taxable, if brought in, the onus is on you to provide documented evidence.

The US pushes these things on others such that they themselves are the only one left with secrecy. It makes sense because this stabilizes the use and the role of usd. Same with widespread use of usdt, it helps funding the heavily wounded dollar with purchasing power and their astronomical debt level.

Thats why today its impossible to open a company without a ton of paper bs but I can just have an LLC including every fintech Id wish for in just a few days with minimal paperwork.

A smart move I must admit.

**NOT THAT I AM ADVOCATING TAX EVASION OR VIOLATING THE LAW**

But i remember over a decade ago, there was great difficulty getting money OUT of Thailand, legal firms used with presence overseas (say HK) that had offices in Thailand used to charge 7% to charge a THAI Credit Card and move funds from Thailand to HK Company (overseas) and from there the funds could be moved anywhere in the world. This was how capital controls were over-ridden.

I imagine at some-point something similar will occur but with funds coming in - 7% is a lot less than say 15%, and factor in at the higher end, 35% + 7% VAT Thailand becomes completely off the zone for investment / living...

I've already been observing Russian intermediaries that sit in the middle of transactions [some moving funds out], and others moving funds in.. This will always occur, also a flight (5,000 THB) to Malaysia and withdraw 10,000$ equivalent would / could save thousands in taxes.

Thailand has truly shot itself in the foot, and the impact will be felt far and wide, they should have instead concentrated on actually taxing the 96% of the population that do not pay tax but certainly earn (in a large chunk) enough to be on the lowest band, instead of trying to unjustly rob retirees, nomads, Wealthy expats and of-course the productive side of Thai society to fund their populist vote buying.

On those that's covered differently, my question was specific to owning a company or larger % of equity and getting 'income in the form of either salary/dividends)' and whether that was taxable if left outside of Thailand - answer was clear cut NO, only taxed if brought in.

As for your specific question, the principle is non-taxable, the profit is taxable, if brought in, the onus is on you to provide documented evidence.
Agreed, that policy will backfire. Baht is at a 16 year low.

They should do it in reverse, you get credits if you bring fresh funds in. What they are doing right now is preventing buying of baht whereas it should be the opposite ;)

A genuine credit card (not a debit or prepaid card) is a revolving line of credit, meaning you borrow funds that will be refunded (abroad in case of foreign credit card) at a determined date.

So using a foreign credit card in Thailand should be technically considered as a loan not a remittance from income/savings.

Am I missing something?

• Haha
Reactions: A2934
A genuine credit card (not a debit or prepaid card) is a revolving line of credit, meaning you borrow funds that will be refunded (abroad in case of foreign credit card) at a determined date.

So using a foreign credit card in Thailand should be technically considered as a loan not a remittance from income/savings.

Am I missing something?
You are correct but I don’t know if Thai tax authorities will share this view.

Reactions: A2934