Our valued sponsor

Tor network

RexS9999

Oct 8, 2020
Visit site
Simple question. I want to use the wifi at work and surf the internet using my phone and laptop. If I use Tor on both my phone and laptop can anyone see what websites I am viewing? Or is everything that leaves my phone/laptop encrypted? I am not doing anything illegal. I just want privacy.

I have tried to research this but I find it confusing. I am not a techy.

Thanks

For now TOR is the best most ideal way to get privacy, they won't be able to see the websites you visit or what you do in them. The only thing that they can know if they dig is that they have a user on their network that uses Tor network (but that can also be worked around using Tor bridge).

Just make sure NOT to log into google or Facebook services, they can block your account just for using tor ips (talking from experience).

+ signing to services that have your personal information identifies you.

Reactions: uplana and RexS9999
Use a VPN instead. It´s a lot faster, all traffic is enrypted and nobody in your company or ISP will see what you do and no problems with signing in to your email or social media accounts either.

Use a VPN instead. It´s a lot faster, all traffic is enrypted and nobody in your company or ISP will see what you do and no problems with signing in to your email or social media accounts either.
how would you set this up ? what VPN to use ?
For now TOR is the best most ideal way to get privacy, they won't be able to see the websites you visit or what you do in them. The only thing that they can know if they dig is that they have a user on their network that uses Tor network (but that can also be worked around using Tor bridge).

Just make sure NOT to log into google or Facebook services, they can block your account just for using tor ips (talking from experience).

very good explained, understood, thanks.

There are many good VPN providers out there, but you should know that a VPN is centralized and have the ability to log your activity. its not a huge worry for most people but need to be aware.
Another thing is that many VPN providers add analytics and SDKs of Google, Facebook and other 3rd parties to their apps, so while your connection is encrypted, just by loading the app from your GOOGLE android device you are already partially identified.

I would recommend Mullvad, they are true privacy advocates and fairly priced.
Also to add another step to increase your privacy I would purchase the account using cryptocurrency and not the usual fiat payment options such as PayPal,CC and so on, because then they will keep a log if your purchase.
Mullvad do not require an email to get an accoubt but if you'll decide to go with a VPN provider that requires an email to register, try not to use your main email address, use an alias or create completely separate email.

There's no end to things that can be do to increase privacy, but the above is a good starting point :)

Reactions: Sir Gelato

If someone is in control of the TOR nodes, hes still able to see what you are doing, for example the recent events with KAX17.

Reactions: daxbr
I want to use the wifi at work and surf the internet using my phone and laptop.

Buy an unlimited mobile data plan tether it all and keep your job.

Yes indeed that is the best solution but pretty much unavailable in the western world and countries like the EU so a VPN might be just fine for what the user wants it for = hiding from the company he works for. For that reason any VPN would be just fine, but ofcourse Mullvad is the one to go with at the moment. Avoid all free VPNs!

Agreed.

What about Proton VPN? (ProtonVPN: Secure and Free VPN service for protecting your privacy) I have no personal experience with it; but ProtonMail is working really well (personal experience).
Avoid Proton VPN and their email service as well. I would not trust them anymore and actually I never did. They lost all their credit and what they have been known for. In the anonymity privacy groups they failed big time with what happened this year. Google it and you will know what I mean. Good place to start are these two channles Techlore or Privacy X on youtube. The latter one has a video about it just 9 days ago. Things keep changing very fast with this stuff so you need to be alert. Pick a VPN which is based outside of the 14 eye countries, best in any offshore location with servers offshore and ofcourse never those which are for free. A VPN is just one step or layer of your privacy. There are many more and you can find out more on those two channels as a starting point.

Reactions: DrunkFlamingo
What about Mysterium? Any experiences?

Looks very interesting as first impression mainly because Residential IPs are being used and it works like a TOR+VPN in one product, peer to peer decentralised network and without logs due to the nature of the project. The speed and reliability could be a question mark though.

Last edited:
Avoid Proton VPN and their email service as well. I would not trust them anymore and actually I never did. They lost all their credit and what they have been known for. In the anonymity privacy groups they failed big time with what happened this year. Google it and you will know what I mean. Good place to start are these two channles Techlore or Privacy X on youtube. The latter one has a video about it just 9 days ago. Things keep changing very fast with this stuff so you need to be alert.
Uhm. Really interesting. Thanks for alert; I will check the channels mentioned ASAP. Honestly, I trusted the guys from Proton until now (perhaps I should mention that I knew something about people in CERN in the past).

Avoid Proton VPN and their email service as well. I would not trust them anymore and actually I never did. They lost all their credit and what they have been known for. In the anonymity privacy groups they failed big time with what happened this year. Google it and you will know what I mean. Good place to start are these two channles Techlore or Privacy X on youtube. The latter one has a video about it just 9 days ago. Things keep changing very fast with this stuff so you need to be alert. Pick a VPN which is based outside of the 14 eye countries, best in any offshore location with servers offshore and ofcourse never those which are for free. A VPN is just one step or layer of your privacy. There are many more and you can find out more on those two channels as a starting point.
I do not see any reason not to trust Protonmail.
They publish transparency reports on a regular basis and if they really have a problem, for sure you could read it in some press releases.
Also in the recent youtube video from Privacy X, Protonmail is the second best email provider.
Ok, if you are a terrorist, maybe you should not choose Protonmail, but if you are an average guy, I think Protonmail is still a good choice.

In this thread @RexS9999 wants to hide his internet traffic from his company. He does not plan to kill the Queen (I hope rof/% ).
So ProtonVPN is still a good choice, I think.

I do not see any reason not to trust Protonmail.
They publish transparency reports on a regular basis and if they really have a problem, for sure you could read it in some press releases.
Also in the recent youtube video from Privacy X, Protonmail is the second best email provider.
Ok, if you are a terrorist, maybe you should not choose Protonmail, but if you are an average guy, I think Protonmail is still a good choice.

In this thread @RexS9999 wants to hide his internet traffic from his company. He does not plan to kill the Queen (I hope rof/% ).
So ProtonVPN is still a good choice, I think.
Exactly the opposite, I do see a reason why not just not to trust Proton, but not to use them at all. You mentioned second best email provider, but we are talking about VPN provider, not email provider. And when you see the video from Privaxy X what says the headline? It has a reason. To get back to topic and about VPN, again there are a lot of reasons why not to trust them anymore and Privacy X put it as the second worst VPN, or at least the second worst grading. Here
is the video about it and in 16:08 begins the talk about this VPN. I also mentioned other source where one can learn more. So from my point of view they are garbage since this year and there are way better options out there. I didn´t trust them years ago due to the rumors which came true lately. Regarding RexS9999 I mentioned in my earlier post that for his purpose any VPN would do the thing, but for others not the case.

Just followed up on some of the stuff you mentioned here, and wow. Talk about going down the rabbit hole. I already knew a lot, but he (Privacy X) takes everything a step further. Thanks for sharing.

They say that they can not disclose ProtonVPN customer IP addresses even if asked to, however they can for Protonmail. If you know that you may be investigated, you would be stupid not to use tor full time while registering/using Protonmail. This is privacy 101! Companies all over the world can be forced to give your IP no matter what jurisdiction, it doesn't even have to be them, it can be their server provider, ISP who are not so keen on fighting the authorities in court.

You should ALWAYS assume that your IP will be given away, this is why you don't use Protonmail without a VPN/tor if you are doing high profile/illegal stuff.

If you want to be 100% safe, then you should get a non-KYC sim card, get a used/IMEI changed LTE modem for your internet, VPN connection hopping through random cafes/school WIFIs etc.

- traffic is encrypted even without VPN
- and the VPN provider wil see what you in the internet instead
- what's the problem with "no problems with signing in to your email or social media accounts either." without VPN?