Our valued sponsor

Transferwise

Hi guys,

Creating a new thread to update you with Transferwise.
I used them since few monthes without problem ( fast payments , good customer support ).
Now it seems that the rules change. I got several account there on different companies.
Now they ask selfie with ID card even if the account is verified and after few monthes of deals.
I have provided as requested selfie + id card , on 5 account, one has been accepted and the 4 left rejected ( no fake, true selfie ) i have tried again with others and again rejected. I have offered to make skype conference and they haven't replied yet.
Don't know what happen,just to let you know and keep you aware.

I opened up an account a few days ago, submitted all necessary paperwork, linked to bank account etc. Two days later I couldn't login and they said account disabled and gave no reason why. This was for a European company, with a European address linked to a personal USD account in the US as the account was a dual purpose account, both for personal and business.

Here is what they say
"Account deactivation can occur for a number of reasons, including but not limited to security concerns, detection or possibility of duplicate accounts or transactions not being within our risk appetite as a strictly regulated financial institution.

Unfortunately, having reviewed our decision upon your appeal, in line with the “Terms of Use Agreement”:TransferWise - Send Money Abroad-Customer Agreement - TransferWise.com accepted by yourself, the decision to keep the account closed is now being finalised. We are unable to provide any further information on this due to regulatory restrictions.

I am sorry that we cannot be of more assistance to you or offer you our services in future.

Kind regards,

This was for a European company, with a European address linked to a personal USD account in the US as the account was a dual purpose account, both for personal and business.

Are you a U.S Person?

Yes I was thinking the same thing. Any client that would come to me and has a U.S account and says they are not a U.S person I would reject automatically. 9/10 times the person is a liar and has either a Green Card hanging around after living in U.S, U.S reporting obligations with ITIN/SSN, or has a U.S passport as a second passport. Either way I don't care to hear their full story over how they came to get a U.S account and just cut them off...lol. Transferwise may have the same suspicion.

You see Transferwise failing to identify a client as a U.S Person when signs are there is a big problem for them. Anyway hope this is NOT the problem you run into HKTT and good luck.

Transferwise... Revolut.. worldcore.. leupay...( From what I read here and on others website )
I get to the point that emi's are not the future .too much risk for nothing
The old school way , true bank and fly to open an account seems the right way.

Yes EMI's are not the future at present. The majority of EMI's are dependent on real banks and real banks have no love for profit stealing EMI's. Until EU law puts EMI's on an equal footing with equal rights as traditional banks and allows them not to be AML'd out of business by the banks they use then nothing will change.

EMI's are in business to grow customer base at any cost with zero risk, then eventually list on a stock exchange and exit with a huge profit for their investors. Banks on the other hand - especially private banks are in business to financially rape their customers in every possible way as long as it does not jeopardize their license.

In the end you have to choose which suits your needs at this current point in time as both are equally as bad.

Just adding some more of my experience. EMI's are likely to close/deny your account if:

1. you are a US person.
2. you are doing business with US persons or companies.
3. your companies registration country doesn't have a register which lists the final shareholders (e.g. Belize, Seychelles).

Hello, I think they may also take into account the number of transactions you do, the average amounts of these transactions and if you move funds to/from the US or other countries that they consider dubious.

Question: what do you consider 'high amounts' to hold with Transferwise or any other EMI?

Yes I was thinking the same thing. Any client that would come to me and has a U.S account and says they are not a U.S person I would reject automatically. 9/10 times the person is a liar and has either a Green Card hanging around after living in U.S, U.S reporting obligations with ITIN/SSN, or has a U.S passport as a second passport. Either way I don't care to hear their full story over how they came to get a U.S account and just cut them off...lol. Transferwise may have the same suspicion.

You see Transferwise failing to identify a client as a U.S Person when signs are there is a big problem for them. Anyway hope this is NOT the problem you run into HKTT and good luck.

Once again you no not what you speak of accept to sell your own services. You have an axe and every forum member should be aware of it.

Having a USA ITIN (individual) or EIN (entity) in no way obliges one to report anything for an offshore company. Now, of course the bank WILL report any interest income to the IRS (though automatic withholding of 30% usually means no filing is even necessary to pay tax on interest) and IRS will have full access to the movements within the account but that is it. Nothing strange here and no different than any major bank in a G7 country.

It is possible to open a USA account for an offshore company...I just opened TWO for a BVI entity on recent trip with top 4 USA bank and large regional money center bank (no..I won't list banks but one is JPM, Citi, BofA or Wells!). I did not have millions to deposit either. What I did have was everything in order: ITIN, EIN, all corporate docs etc.

Last bit of magic is a local registration of your offshore company in a US state (google this). This puts a "local" government stamp of approval on your company and the banks LOVE this. No annual filing in state either. You get a USA registered agent and you must list an officer for the company (could be nominee director but this will complicate opening and require nominee to most likely be present for account opening). As sole owner and only Director, I had no problems.

As to privacy, USA bank reveals nothing that wouldn't already be out in the open since only the banks know about your state registration that will list your name if you are only owner/director. Nobody outside USA will know about your state registration unless they look very hard.

When banks asked why I wanted a USA account I told the truth: I want to bank in best, most efficient and best customer service banking system in the world and most of my customers also bank with USA banks. Only other questions were related to what my company did...nothing all that interesting.

Now if you have odd wires from odd banks, I would expect many questions and possible closure if the bank does not like what it sees...same as ANY big global bank. I do not and thus am enjoying my TWO USA bank accounts.

So when you read "it is impossible" being posted by someone who is selling something, be skeptical. Common sense, a bit of research, personal visit and honesty still work.

Now take this free advice and go visit USA and get your corporate account!

Having a USA ITIN (individual) or EIN (entity) in no way obliges one to report anything for an offshore company. Now, of course the bank WILL report any interest income to the IRS (though automatic withholding of 30% usually means no filing is even necessary to pay tax on interest) and IRS will have full access to the movements within the account but that is it. Nothing strange here and no different than any major bank in a G7 country.

EIN/ITIN are just identification numbers, however they put you on the radar.

You said that your company is incorporated in the BVI. If your company has business activities in the United States (including virtual), you may be required to file an annual return with the IRS. The absence of a DTT between the US/BVI is potentially a major problem for any BVI corporation that transacts in any shape or form in the United States.

Last bit of magic is a local registration of your offshore company in a US state (google this). This puts a "local" government stamp of approval on your company and the banks LOVE this. No annual filing in state either.

All states require an annual report to maintain good standing.

EIN/ITIN are just identification numbers, however they put you on the radar.

You said that your company is incorporated in the BVI. If your company has business activities in the United States (including virtual), you may be required to file an annual return with the IRS. The absence of a DTT between the US/BVI is potentially a major problem for any BVI corporation that transacts in any shape or form in the United States.

You are absolutely correct. None of my clients do any business in USA....only have accounts with USA banks. This makes it very efficient for me also to have USA banks. I also have corporate brokerage accounts in USA...further making it best set-up for me. I am US dollar based too. USA offers deepest investment markets with best liquidity and lowest cost.

All states require an annual report to maintain good standing.

Usually true, but the "annual report" in most states is merely paying a small fee and confirming registered agent/address. There are no financial reports to be filed. Contrast this with USA's new reporting requirements for single member LLC's...basically kills that structure for most non USA persons as MAJOR reporting needed. Indeed, if it were not for this new reporting requirements I would have chosen a USA LLC instead of BVI.

Also, I filed for a license to do business in a state as a foreign corporation...no annual filing required and if so would merely be an annual fee. I also specifically stated on IRS application for EIN that purpose of EIN was to open a bank account. I have no connection whatsoever with USA except for bank/brokerage accounts. By far best solution for anyone who is transparent with no business in USA. And my country of residence has no FATCA agreement with USA....another bonus!

Let me just interject here on those saying US account is reason for closure.

There are thousands of US expats around the world using transferwise to save on wire and forex charges with their US bank accounts.

Let me just interject here on those saying US account is reason for closure.

There are thousands of US expats around the world using transferwise to save on wire and forex charges with their US bank accounts.

The issue is not the fact a person is a US person. The issue would be for them failing to identify you as one on their systems if indications are there thu&¤#. I personally would avoid banking in the U.S like the plague.

Anyone would like to know the reason for what happened to your account if you do ever find out.