Our valued sponsor

Travel startup wants to go offshore

Flopp

Offshore Agent
May 1, 2016
Visit site
Hello guys,

I am new here in the forum, but have been actively looking into offshore related things since the last few months. Together with a friend, I have now reached a point where I would like to take the final step into incorporating an offshore company. I am based in Austria (Europe) and he is based in Singapore and together we would like to incorporate a travel start-up, which focuses on high end travel; basically, we are booking business and first class flights, as well as expensive stays at high end hotels. An incorporation in Singapore would require a deposit of 100k SGD and we do not want to put that down.

Our plan to go offshore builds mainly on the fact that we would like to (1) avoid double book keeping and auditing, (2) save on taxes, (3) be able to write invoices and (4) enjoy anonymity – whereas the first three points are the more important onse. Our main business is coming from the U.K. and Singapore. Turnover should be around 250k+ USD pa.

We are still not sure which construction would be the best for us and thus I would like to present them here and would highly appreciate your feedback. Since most business is in done in Singapore and the U.K., we are thinking about avoiding having ties to these countries from a business and banking point of view. Incorporation and taxes are two different things and thus I would like to break it into incorporation first and then taxes.

INCORPORATION

OPTION A

Incorporate the company in a jurisdiction like the BVIs, Belize or the Seychelles, which, according to my knowledge, share quite a lot of similarities in terms of capital requirement, shareholders, directors, etc. I have also read in a few posts that the Seychelles are quite en vogue at the moment and are already #2 in terms of overall incorporations after the BVIs. Thus we thought about incorporating the company either in the Seychelles or BVIs.

The next thing would be a business bank account. Even though OCBC would be IBC friendly, “cheap” as in they require an initial deposit of 30k USD/SGD and reliable, we think it would not be such a good idea to use them, since quite a bit of business is coming from Singapore. Thus we are thinking about a bank account for EUR/GBP payments in Malta with Bank of Valletta or one in Hong Kong.

To improve the reputation of our IBC’s company location, we were also thinking about using a virtual office in London, which we would use on our website and maybe also to sign contracts with travel wholesalers. That would assure more clients to do business with us.

OPTION B

Incorporate the company in Gibraltar. Since we would be considered a small company, we would not have to keep books – an ordinary income/expenditure table should be sufficient. Gibraltar would have a much better reputation than the Seychelles or BVIs and it might be easier to open a bank account, especially in Europe. The bank account options would be the same as above.

A possible drawback might be the close ties to the U.K. and Europe. This could possible relate into tax problems, because a high fraction of the turnover will come from people based in the U.K.

To get one additional layer of anonymity we are thinking of using nominee shareholders and directors. Yet how easy or how tough is it to get a bank account then?

TAXES

Tax wise, we mainly would like to save on corporate tax. In terms of income tax, such a construct would not help much, since I, as an Austrian citizen, would still have to pay income taxes in Austria. But I was also thinking of minimizing those, respectively getting other “benefits” out of an offshore incorporation, namely by incorporating a GmbH (Ldt) and associate this company to the Gibraltar company. This GmbH then would lease a company car and would rent a flat, it would also make a bit of a turnover, but at the end of the year the whole profit/loss would be shifted over to the Gibraltar company anyways and would not be liable to corporate tax in Austria nor Singapore.

What would prevent a person from receiving an official pay of 20-30k EUR pa and pay income taxes on that while he/she pays for the things for the daily life using a company credit card? Since there is no auditing and book keeping required in Gibraltar, somebody should not have problems to get these things “into the books”.

What do you guys think? What shall we do and where do you see obstacles ahead? Maybe I oversaw another great incorporation solution, which minimizes taxes even more by taking advantage of my friend’s Singaporean citizenship.

Your input is much appreciated.

For your business the only possible soultion as I see it is to incorporate either in Gibraltar, Cyprus or BVI. You will need banking facilities and sooner or later you will need to get some credit card processing for your business to make your business customer friendly and easy to pay you for your services. I doubt a Seychelles company will make things easy for you and your business.

That's my 2cents...

For your business the only possible soultion as I see it is to incorporate either in Gibraltar, Cyprus or BVI. You will need banking facilities and sooner or later you will need to get some credit card processing for your business to make your business customer friendly and easy to pay you for your services. I doubt a Seychelles company will make things easy for you and your business.
That's my 2cents...
Thanks a lot for your input clemens. Yes you are right, we are also planning to use a payment processor for more convenience. So far our favorites are BVIs and Gibraltar :)

Incorporate the company in a jurisdiction like the BVIs, Belize or the Seychelles, which, according to my knowledge, share quite a lot of similarities in terms of capital requirement, shareholders, directors, etc. I have also read in a few posts that the Seychelles are quite en vogue at the moment and are already #2 in terms of overall incorporations after the BVIs. Thus we thought about incorporating the company either in the Seychelles or BVIs.
There are no capital / paid in share capital requirements for these entities. I would go with a Cyprus company, BVI sucks now a days to register.

Thx guys for your help!

Assuming now I would incoprate in Gibraltar, which does not have any double tax treaties, then I have to pay corporate tax in Gibraltar (0%) and also corporate tax in Austria. Since there are no requiremnts regarding book keeping and auditing in Gibraltar and hence nobody checks if your profit is also your "real profit", how will then the Austrian IRS dertimine my corporate tax burden? Do I then have to determine my corporate profit in accordance with the Austrian law using double bookkeeping? If so, then what is the purpose of going offshore? I doubt I can tell them a random profit number and pay Austrian corporate tax on that!?

The next thing would be a business bank account. Even though OCBC would be IBC friendly, “cheap” as in they require an initial deposit of 30k USD/SGD and reliable, we think it would not be such a good idea to use them, since quite a bit of business is coming from Singapore. Thus we are thinking about a bank account for EUR/GBP payments in Malta with Bank of Valletta or one in Hong Kong.

To improve the reputation of our IBC’s company location, we were also thinking about using a virtual office in London, which we would use on our website and maybe also to sign contracts with travel wholesalers. That would assure more clients to do business with us.
This is what I would recommend you to do for your Joint Venture. It seems to be the easiest way to get you started and protect each other in this venture. If you project fail it's also easy to get out of it again. If you succeed it's easy to change the structure to something "more legit" if I may say so.