Our valued sponsor

UAE clarification of Freezone Qualifying Income

Surely he will be the least expert on the subject, but given the conversation of this post, while awaiting my appointment with my tax advisor on Tuesday, I have downloaded the official document Ministerial Decision No. 139 of 2023 Regarding Qualifying Activities and Excluded Activities , and since I read in articles 3 and 4 of this document, everything I have read previously in these conversations, in my opinion, does not apply to small digital businesses such as an e-commerce, with a turnover below 5 million aed , simply because from my reading, which is not that of an expert tax advisor, and which I repeat could certainly be wrong, these activities are not qualifying activities, but are excluded activities therefore not taxable, I leave the link to the government authority site for downloading the ministerial decision, which made me make these assessments, I thank the opinion of anyone who has a more expert vision Ministe

Posted in this thread Post in thread 'UAE clarification of Freezone Qualifying Income' UAE clarification of Freezone Qualifying Income
Yes, I read that, but using different canons of interpretation it can be interpreted so many different ways, but in the end, it's like gender. If I ask a supplier or buyer whether he is a man or a woman and they come up with legalese and sophistry, it's time to dump them. No need to waste time with them anymore. Bad business or bad people is a definite deal-breaker for me.

We understand. You are advertising a charitable activity here. And of the hundreds of thousands of dollars a year you earn from it, you donate it all to charitable purposes and you have absolutely no reason to hide the truth that would ruin an activity from which you have nothing. Or would it be completely different?
Why do you write "we" understand - are you representing a organization / firm in anyway ?

• Haha
Reactions: Podnimator and jafo
Are there any guidelines out yet regarding how much you can take out as a salary to keep it under the 375k AED profit?

Not that I'm aware of and I really don't think they will care for now.
However, I'm reluctant to use such a setup because once they introduce income tax, they already have all the information they need to make your life miserable.

does not apply to small digital businesses such as an e-commerce, with a turnover below 5 million aed

Again the same issue - today the limit is 5M, tomorrow it could be 5k. You can see how things are done in the UAE: There's no draft law and hearing, changes are simply announced, sometimes after they have taken effect.

Last edited:
Reactions: kekmaw and jafo
If it's your case, was it easy to achieve priority banking with UOB/DBS/SC/Citi... (I assume in SG but could be in HK as well) having (clean) crypto as source of funds? How much money did you have to park/invest there?

hey so Ivent opened the account yet but imma get into calls this week.
For what ive read around they want 250kish invested in the bank (not as cash) to open the acc, and they are ok with crypto.

Keep you posted.

Reactions: Mercury
Just got a reply.

"The corporate income tax in the UAE , might cause some more attention to tax related issues, the fully understand the impact we need to understand your personal background. In general we want to point out that the corporate income tax rate for free zone companies is zero."

Meeting them tomorrow in person - keeping you posted

I would also like to know who replied / this meeting is with.

Thanks.

Reactions: jafo
hey so Ivent opened the account yet but imma get into calls this week.
For what ive read around they want 250kish invested in the bank (not as cash) to open the acc, and they are ok with crypto.

Keep you posted.

Interested what you find! What do you think the upper limits are with those banks? What sizes transactions can you do on-ramp/offramping?

Have a look at this FAQ:

I still believe that a transparent US LLC would not be taxed in the UAE if it has no business activity/it's not managed in the UAE.
Also seems like a single member US LLC, if it has a turnover below 1M AED will not be taxed in the UAE, and does not even need to register for CIT - even if it is run by someone living in the UAE.

At least according to Individuals with a business and turnover of Dh1 million to pay Corporate Tax in UAE

"Individuals conducting business or business activities will be subject to corporate tax and registration requirements only if their combined turnover exceeds Dh1 million in a calendar year.
If an individual who is a UAE resident operates an online business and the combined annual turnover from this exceeds Dh1 million, under the new decision, that income would be subject to corporate tax."

Annoyingly I can't find the actual legal text about the 1M turnover exemption on mof.gov.ae.

Reactions: Jbb1
Annoyingly I can't find the actual legal text about the 1M turnover exemption on mof.gov.ae.

Search for "de minimis", it should be there somewhere. If there is no registration requirement, that would be very, very good. What would worry me is if you had to register.
Maybe it would be possible then to split the business across multiple companies, so that none of them would go over that limit...

So...., so far, we really don't know anything about taxes in the Dubai Free Zone, right?

Or do we actually already know all we need to know and it's time to search & look somehwere else?

What safe haven do we have now to escape from the Gestapo? :rolleyes:

PS. In the last four years, I've been getting bombarded with ads about investing and buying properties in Dubai. At least 3 dozen per day...on a slow day! It's like they were desperate trying to separate my money from me by any means necessary. :oops:

Surely he will be the least expert on the subject, but given the conversation of this post, while awaiting my appointment with my tax advisor on Tuesday, I have downloaded the official document Ministerial Decision No. 139 of 2023 Regarding Qualifying Activities and Excluded Activities , and since I read in articles 3 and 4 of this document, everything I have read previously in these conversations, in my opinion, does not apply to small digital businesses such as an e-commerce, with a turnover below 5 million aed , simply because from my reading, which is not that of an expert tax advisor, and which I repeat could certainly be wrong, these activities are not qualifying activities, but are excluded activities therefore not taxable, I leave the link to the government authority site for downloading the ministerial decision, which made me make these assessments, I thank the opinion of anyone who has a more expert vision Ministe
How do you think, will the de minimis requirements be considered met if the turnover is exceeded in the previous tax period? Will it be enough to slow down in the new financial year (starting in December for my case)?

Looks like its a wrap for most people (on here) for tax free UAE companies based on Qualifying Activities.

OECD 1 - 0 Dubai

.....game over.

P.S UAE companies without economic substance are already reported outside of CRS.

Any update, @Fred ?
Yes - need to find time for a separate Thread.

We worked out an overview including an legend however our existing clients have the first turn - still a lot of pending messages.

@ all DLS Dubai Clients with pending messages and questions - we see you and get back ASAP:

Should get something done during the late night hours.

Reactions: troubled soul

Latest Threads