Our valued sponsor

UAE residency 183 days - what's reality?

@Fred who exactly gets benefit of visiting UAE only once per 12 months? Employment visas have 180 days limitation, does investor in a freezone company have the same limit?
Every Residence Visa including Investor Residence Visa - you get through Company Formation - has the visit UAE twice per year wording - no matter what's the designation is. Only 1m+ USD Real Estate Golden Visa has the exception to come once every 12 months.

Hint: we have never seen someone getting Visa cancelled when returning after 8 months for example - so don't ruin your life by trying to always exactly on the day every 6 months in Dubai.

I recommend you ask the issuer of the visa. If it's a freezone, ask the freezone as they know your visa and your exact details. But don't ask only one time, ask several and to different people to confirm 100% is not someone having some wrong info. As the article shared before says, it depends on several factors that usually the issuer knows.
All visa stickers have the text "Visa becomes invalid if bearer stays outside UAE for more than 6 months", but this is not always applicable. Even if you have to visit only once per year, you will have that text in the visa. This information I got from several people in the freezone that issued my visa. And sorry I'm not providing more details but that is all I prefer to say publicly

Long story short, ask your visa issuer, don't trust some random internet articles

Reactions: zzzzzz
I recommend you ask the issuer of the visa. If it's a freezone, ask the freezone as they know your visa and your exact details. But don't ask only one time, ask several and to different people to confirm 100% is not someone having some wrong info. As the article shared before says, it depends on several factors that usually the issuer knows.
All visa stickers have the text "Visa becomes invalid if bearer stays outside UAE for more than 6 months", but this is not always applicable. Even if you have to visit only once per year, you will have that text in the visa. This information I got from several people in the freezone that issued my visa. And sorry I'm not providing more details but that is all I prefer to say publicly

Long story short, ask your visa issuer, don't trust some random internet articles
Trust the wording on your Residence Visa - all is mentioned there.

still means you cant be more then 183 days in another country right?
Sorry this has nothing to do with the UAE side of things.

Yes you can't spend more then 183 days in any country without potentially triggering tax residence there.

Still a lot of guys doing it and getting away with it because the UAE side doesn't report when everything is setup properly with Residence Visa and Substance. Do we recommend it? No. Still doing it a lot of clients in reality? Yes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Donsted and zzzzzz
Just found an old article from 2012. Was this just a proposal or it was actually implemented?

"Tenancy Contract Must For UAE Visa
Officials have confirmed that expatriate residents need to provide tenancy contracts and utility bills to renew visas."

Just found an old article from 2012. Was this just a proposal or it was actually implemented?

"Tenancy Contract Must For UAE Visa
Officials have confirmed that expatriate residents need to provide tenancy contracts and utility bills to renew visas."

I’ve renewed my visa 3 times already and never got asked for tenancy contract neither utility bills

Reactions: Fred and zzzzzz
I’d like to emphasize this. I was also under the impression that I had 365 days but after checking my residence visa it clearly states (bottom in red) that a visit is required every 6 months.

@Fred you mentioned staying out of the country longer is no issue for the visa. Does it have consequences for the smart gates at dxb ?

Reactions: Fred
I’d like to emphasize this. I was also under the impression that I had 365 days but after checking my residence visa it clearly states (bottom in red) that a visit is required every 6 months.

@Fred you mentioned staying out of the country longer is no issue for the visa. Does it have consequences for the smart gates at dxb ?
No it doesn't.

Met earlier today a client who stayd 12 months out and used even the normal boarder control - they told her "welcome back".

Reactions: Donsted and zzzzzz
Thanks for confirming. So what's your advice on this? You mentioned not ruining your life making the trip every 6 months but what should a person aim for approximately?
Of course aim to be within the 6 months but shouldn't this be possible then don't worry or be afraid that you are banned from the UAE or whatever.

The Emiratis are always with you and not against you - UAE is generally running like a Private Company and therefore why making issues for someone who potentially gonna spend some $$$ here in the country.

Of course after some - very long - time the visa gets cancelled.

Reactions: Donsted

Sorry this has nothing to do with the UAE side of things.

Yes you can't spend more then 183 days in any country without potentially triggering tax residence there.

Still a lot of guys doing it and getting away with it because the UAE side doesn't report when everything is setup properly with Residence Visa and Substance. Do we recommend it? No. Still doing it a lot of clients in reality? Yes.
what does reporting mean? Why should UAE report that?

I think the question would be if the other country can prove you have been in the other country for more then 183 days (if you dont rent a apartment/hotel there or spent money with credit card - can they even do that?).

if you have this tax certificate, dont you have have a bulletproof proof that you are a tax resident of this country?

and last question, does the UAE tax residency show how many days you have spent there?

I think the question would be if the other country can prove you have been in the other country for more then 183 days (if you dont rent a apartment/hotel there or spent money with credit card - can they even do that?).

if you have this tax certificate, dont you have have a bulletproof proof that you are a tax resident of this country?

and last question, does the UAE tax residency show how many days you have spent there?
Make yourself familiar with CRS Reporting to understand the last sentence of my earlier post.

Reactions: Donsted
Make yourself familiar with CRS Reporting to understand the last sentence of my earlier post.
CRS contains among other things

Name,
address,
account number,
credit balance,
interest,
dividends,
Capital gains from financial assets,
State of residence,
tax identification number,
for natural persons: Date and place of birth.

I understand what CRS means. What does it have to do with 183 days and tax certificate?

If you get investigated by home country, you will asked to provide flight tickets to UAE. So, it will be clear how long you stayed.
This is for you to prove how long you stayed. UAE also has border checks. So, all information is there about your stay.
But still you will have to stay 90+ days in UAE to get tax residence certificate.
First 5 years is better to have normal rents, stay longer etc etc

Reactions: RealDude

Personal experience: I went to Dubai end of last year for the purpose of "visit requirement every 6 months". I arrived exactly on the 180th day. Smartgates at DXB didn't allow me to enter, referred me to the manual Immigration desk. Went there. The immigration officer pointed me to the immigration police (?). Went there. Was told that I was one (1) day late, and that I have to visit, at the latest, 179 days after last visit. Was told that if this happened before COVID19, my VISA would have been revoked and cancelled then and there. But: because of the strict travel requirements during COVID19, this practice was abandoned, and they now accept entrance even if you are later than 179 days (but they didn't say by how much). I was granted entrance, and upon checking online, my VISA is still active :)

Latest Threads