Our valued sponsor

UK LLP + Non-UK Resident + Stripe: Taxation?

Burak

May 4, 2021
Istanbul
Visit site
Let's say you are okay with paying tax in your home country, but to access global payments solutions such as Stripe you form LLP in the UK. All partners are non-UK resident.

If you don't accept any payment from UK clients, all money will be taxed in your home country? Stripe pays you from UK bank, would it cause an issue?

Note that the tax situation will depend on the rules of your home countries. Your home country may not see the LLP as transparent.
So you should consult with tax lawyers in your home countries, before setting up such a structure.

What you could also consider as an alternative would be a Swiss verein. This is what many international law firms (e.g., Dentons) use. I don't know how it works in detail though.

Note that the tax situation will depend on the rules of your home countries. Your home country may not see the LLP as transparent.
So you should consult with tax lawyers in your home countries, before setting up such a structure.

What you could also consider as an alternative would be a Swiss verein. This is what many international law firms (e.g., Dentons) use. I don't know how it works in detail though.
Swiss-based solution would be way more expensive than UK I believe. Actually the part I'm scared of is not the my country but UK. Will they consider Stripe payout as UK-taxable event or the important thing is residency of end-clients?

You need to investigate this very carefully with an accountant or another tax expert in your country. The rules are constantly being tightened and tax authorities around the world are becoming more and more aggressive, making up stories and unscrupulously lying to get some tax money in the coffers.

The Swiss solution would be a very different setup. It may not even make sense for your situation. All I know is that international law firms often use this model because it allows their offices in different countries to remain separate legal entities, which helps with liability etc., and so I can imagine it may also make the tax situation simpler if you are based in different countries.

The UK side should be simple, I can't imagine there would be UK tax if work isn't done in the UK, but you should ask a UK accountant about this. The biggest challenge could be obtaining a VAT ID for the company if you need one.

Really you're going about this the wrong way - you have to start with your home country/countries. They're the ones who can make your life difficult.

Reactions: ilke and Burak