Our valued sponsor

UK Non-dom and ILR/citizenship

dragodrago

Jan 8, 2020
Visit site
By opting for remittance basis, you have to declare that you’re non-dom, i.e. your permanent home is not in the UK.

However, when applying for indefinite leave or citizenship, you are required to declare that you intend to reside permanently in the UK.

Would this cause any problem as they are two contradicting statements to two different agencies?

By opting for remittance basis, you have to declare that you’re non-dom, i.e. your permanent home is not in the UK.

However, when applying for indefinite leave or citizenship, you are required to declare that you intend to reside permanently in the UK.

Would this cause any problem as they are two contradicting statements to two different agencies?
What if you intend to reside permanently in the UK after you become a citizen? Is that not a realistic scenario?

I'm not sure about the total requirements but you will be required to show bank statements and they will want to see day to day transaction in the UK. A long holiday is fine but you can not spend 2 consecutive years out of the country and also there is a minimum time period you must spend in the country over a 5 year period.

I'm not sure about the total requirements but you will be required to show bank statements and they will want to see day to day transaction in the UK. A long holiday is fine but you can not spend 2 consecutive years out of the country and also there is a minimum time period you must spend in the country over a 5 year period.
I understand the requirements of physical presence. I will also pay UK tax on my UK income.

By opting for non-dom remittance basis, I don't have to pay tax for non-UK income, but I need to declare that I don't live permanently in the UK.

What @KDX said makes sense, but I am wondering if there's anyone with actual experience with applying for ILR/citizenship while being non-dom for tax purposes. Or is it better to switch to arising basis the year before applying, etc.

Ask the UK Chancellor(and potential future prime minister) Rishi Sunak who raised taxes on the public yet his own wife is taxed as a non-dom to avoid paying millions in UK taxes.

P.S Don't think UK cares about contradictions so do as you please mate. I tell you the British public are being taken for fools.

Reactions: KDX
Ask the UK Chancellor(and potential future prime minister) Rishi Sunak who raised taxes on the public yet his own wife is taxed as a non-dom to avoid paying millions in UK taxes.

P.S Don't think UK cares about contradictions so do as you please mate. I tell you the British public are being taken for fools.
So non-dom status combined with CFC exemption for under £500k a year, means I can operate under an offshore company and pay 0 tax, while living full time in the UK.

Am I missing anything? It seems too good to be true but I guess nothing is impossible these days.

Latest Threads