Our valued sponsor

US bank account for non-us residents

Gee I wouldn't touch etrade with a 30 feet pole.

Man, they had a lot of issues with security lately, accounts hacked , money stolen etc.

Believe me I know what I'm talking about . I trade stocks and futures for a living.

And any well informed trader knows, you'd better forget about Etrade.

Nothing personal with the last poster.

I just don't want to see people losing their money this way.

Here you are: (note, they are focused on to the broker side of the company, but the topic is always money and accounts)

Link removed

Link removed

here a quote from an article.

E*Trade Offers to Reimburse Any Victims of Online Fraud

E*Trade Financial said yesterday that it would fully reimburse any customer who is the victim of fraudulent activity - the first online brokerage company to offer the kind of protection that users of credit and debit cards receive.

While the announcement may be more of a sales pitch than a security protection given the token amounts of money lost to fraud, it may encourage E*Trade's competitors like Ameritrade and Charles Schwab to follow suit. The new policy is a major shift for the online brokerage industry, which typically puts the onus of security on the investor.

At E*Trade, Mr. Lillien said that the number of online fraud cases was growing but totaled fewer than 50 last year. The cost of fraud at E*Trade, he added, has also grown from a few thousand dollars a year several years ago to about $2 million a year, or about 0.2 percent of its revenues.

Yup maybe it's some customer not really smart, but the fact is this stuff is not happening at this rate with other Brokers/banks

You can find a lot more infos with google: Etrade fraud

And I'v been reading a lot of threads on forums I visit , but I really have no time to search them now.

I gave you just my advise, now is time to do your homework :)

Wish you good luck with your choice.

Just an FYI, per recent legislation, the United States now disallows opening of non-resident accounts. There may be ways to get around the rules but I would advise caution against using services that make this sound so easy. To be sure, you'd best get in touch with a US bank directly and make your inquiries with them.

gwenpinay said:
Just an FYI, per recent legislation, the United States now disallows opening of non-resident accounts. There may be ways to get around the rules but I would advise caution against using services that make this sound so easy. To be sure, you'd best get in touch with a US bank directly and make your inquiries with them.
Thats true and you won't find any reliable service which is able to let you open a US bank account if you aren't a US resident... If I'm wrong I would be very happy to see the company that offers this service.

Can someone please explain something to me?

"US-resident" does that mean to have a social security number?

I am asking, because I am not havening a US-passport and when I retire, I want to buy a house in the USA and stay there for a few month every year.

So, I am thinking of getting a personal checking account in the US for paying the bills of the house and at first buying the house and a car there.

How do these residents from foreign countries pay their bills in USA?

wildy said:

I am asking, because I am not havening a US-passport and when I retire, I want to buy a house in the USA and stay there for a few month every year.

So, I am thinking of getting a personal checking account in the US for paying the bills of the house and at first buying the house and a car there.

You need to understand the difference between residents and citizens (this is the same in every country.)

The best document evidencing citizenship is the passport as it is issued by the government its citizens. (Each country have their own laws as to who is entitled to citizenship). US citizens can be residents of the United States or of other countries.

Residents, on the other hand, can be citizens of the country they reside in or of another country. Often, the evidence of residency for non-citizens is a residency visa either temporary or permanent. In the US, the green card is issued to permanent residents.

wildy said:

I have briefly explained the difference between residents and citizens in another thread. Additionally,

the SSN in the US is often tied with employment.

US residents may be entitled to employed in the US.

US residents can bank with US banks.

wildy said:
Thanks "surender" for giving me that information.
So that was the last thing that made me change my retirement plans.

Ireland is much easier with these things and that the place I will go then.
well i can say that having a US bank account will give so many benefits. There are some companies that provide this service so i guess that wont be a problem if you cant apply by yourself

Could someone please explain me this resident thing a little more.

I mean, I understood I can live in US and have the citizenship of Germany.

But what I do not understand is, if I am a resident in the US, do I get a SSN?

Is this a regular thing?

So many European have their holiday homes in Florida, do they really all haven a SSN?

Latest Threads