Our valued sponsor

US bank account holders which are non-residents and are living abroad - Ability to get SMS

BTCNG

Sep 27, 2018
Visit site
A question about SIM card for US bank account holders which are non-residents and are living abroad.

For USA account holders, you need to be able to get SMS from time to time from your bank.
All the VOIP/INTERNET mobile number providers (as Google voice etc.) are excluded from getting theses SMS's and they block them from getting it (even if you can call through them you will not be able to get SMS from the bank).
Can someone suggest a Mobile SIM company/provider that is not VOIP/Internet, and that give US Mobile number and that can easily get SMS when you are out of the USA (SMS on Roaming), and maybe even don’t charge for incoming Roaming call and Incoming Roaming SMS? (A company that maybe even can send you the Mobile SIM overseas to your home country).

If not, and if I will be in the USA, but if I'm not a US-Resident and without a US address, will I be able to get such SIM from the regular Mobile carrier companies (like T-mobile)? From who and what should I ask for? (what time of SIM)?

I personally use Ultra Mobile by T-mobile. Monthly fee 3USD/month keeps it active and incoming sms to EU at least is free as far as I see. Works well in US for mobile internet too. Possible to get at least from T-Mobile dealers.

It's also possible to top it up online with foreign card (used Transwerwise), so very easy to maintain.

News to me google voice doesn't work. Getting bank access codes in email account all the time. Possibly you use foreign ip, google as only contact. Alt, freedompop used to be free 100sms, vmails but now USD1.99/mo.

Last edited:
The last time I heard this nonsense as OP claim I believe it to be true. For years I have been using Receive SMS never had issues until for 2 years ago, so I stoped and lesson to some people around OffshoreCorpTalk - until someone here posted it worked for him because they use real numbers.

So before everyone just slave read what is in this thread and following it I would highly recommend this service to be tried if possible to see if this is really the case that they are blocked.

In the past this provider was blocked by many, but today it can be used by almost any again.

+1 for Proovl. Works like a charm
Also, another option - i'm sure you know Viber? Install Viber, go to settings and choose "Viber local number". You can choose USA, UK or Canada number. It works for SMS, something like 5$ a month

+1 for Proovl. Works like a charm
Also, another option - i'm sure you know Viber? Install Viber, go to settings and choose "Viber local number". You can choose USA, UK or Canada number. It works for SMS, something like 5$ a month

Including confirmation SMS from banks?

Edit. I answer myself. According to their FAQ page, these local numbers can't be used to verify ANY online account. So sadly they are not an option.

Last edited:
May we ask which banks you are using PROOVL with? Wells Fargo? Bank of America?

Any other options besides PROOVL?
Proovl SIM option works with anything, it's a normal sim card. I didn't try USA banks because i didn't need to. It worked with paypal and numerous european banks
And again, try Viber. Don't think too much of their FAQ, you may be pleasantly surprised

Proovl SIM option works with anything, it's a normal sim card. I didn't try USA banks because i didn't need to. It worked with paypal and numerous european banks
And again, try Viber. Don't think too much of their FAQ, you may be pleasantly surprised

About that Proovl SIM option, are you maybe using it in an EU country? I'm asking because that is my situation right now. Is that a Lituanian phone number, as someone said before?

I personally use Ultra Mobile by T-mobile. Monthly fee 3USD/month keeps it active and incoming sms to EU at least is free as far as I see. Works well in US for mobile internet too. Possible to get at least from T-Mobile dealers.

It's also possible to top it up online with foreign card (used Transwerwise), so very easy to maintain.

Can you please confirm this is the same Ultra-mobile you are talking about?

Ultra Mobile | Talk, Text & Data Plans with International Calling

The cheapest fee is $14 per month and they do not accept non US residents.

Are you sure Freedompop can supply SIm cards to non US residents. That's not what they site says.
Been a few years since I got them, had them shipped to eu address and it was specifically marketed to travelers. Now only can make make and receive calls/sms thru wifi and didn't have complaints from banks. Use several cards but have to have monthly activity on each one, or they block it next month.

About that Proovl SIM option, are you maybe using it in an EU country? I'm asking because that is my situation right now. Is that a Lituanian phone number, as someone said before?
...I'm sorry but you ask so many questions instead of simply checking the website few people told you about. Why would anyone offer Lithuanian number if we were talking about US number all along?
USA SIM Numbers - they went out of stock yesterday, btw, always in high demand.
Also, why don't you check with the bank is it really only US based numbers they can send SMS to?

Have been using it from within EU and outside EU - I have not seen any issues so far. In the past there was issues but not today.

Can you please confirm this is the same Ultra-mobile you are talking about?

Ultra Mobile | Talk, Text & Data Plans with International Calling

The cheapest fee is $14 per month and they do not accept non US residents.

correct plan is: