Our valued sponsor

US bank closures after second passport citizenship by investment

puf3

May 18, 2022
Dominica
Visit site
Hello, I'm a US citizen and obtained a Dominica passport three months ago via citizenship by investment (for work purposes). About two weeks after I received the Dominica naturalization paperwork, the US border control revoked my Global Entry. And in the three months since, two banks / brokers have closed all my accounts with them. They send vague letters in the mail that they've made a "business decision". When I call in they won't disclose any other reason. Is this somehow linked to me having obtained a second citizenship and passport? Anyone else have a similar experience? Or obtained a Caribbean passport and had no issues with their US bank accounts?
Appreciate any insight even if it's just that you've obtained a Caribbean passport and not had any issues.

I don't have any personal experiences to share, but I can tell you how financial institutions treat this.

Many compliance/AML policies with financial institutions have provisions calling for CIP passports to be considered high risk, as they are often used to conceal the person's country of origin or for tax evasion/money laundering.

Your original citizenship is also a contributing factor. If you go from having a low-risk citizenship to a CIP passport, it's considered less risky than if you go from a high-risk citizenship. The perceived risk of having obtained the new passport for criminal activities goes up.

Immigration rules are different but it's quite normal for visas to require reassessment if a person obtains a new citizenship, since the visa was issued on condition of your citizenship at the time of application. You (or better yet your local legal representation) should notify the relevant immigration authority ahead of time and inquire about applying again.

How did they find out you've obtained a Dominica passport?

Thats what I want to know also ns2.

About two weeks after I received the Dominica naturalization paperwork, the US border control revoked my Global Entry. And in the three months since, two banks / brokers have closed all my accounts with them.

It sounds like your name has been put on some central blacklist for this all to happen so close together. Could be by accident or on purpose as your now considered high risk or of dubious character.

First check your name is not listed in Refinitv World Check Database. It is is a database most FI's use to screen against PEPs.criminals and high risk persons. See my post below on what to do.

Reactions: jafo
Thats what I want to know also ns2.
The 3p DD service provider must have made enquiries, which caused data to leak everywhere

It sounds like your name has been put on some central blacklist for this all to happen so close together. Could be by accident or on purpose as your now considered high risk or of dubious character.

Come on, let’s stop pretending that a CIP passport is a “passport to freedom”. This narrative is over. You might manage to justify a Turkish passport by pretending to have Turkish ancestors, but small islands… banks today consider those pp as high risk, and rightfully so. CIP passport holders are also being detained at borders and denied entry more and more frequently. Even Chinese nationals today can obtain a visa to almost any country in 48 hours, so it’s just bs that they need a 2nd passport to travel.

First check your name is not listed in Refinitv World Check Database. It is is a database most FI's use to screen against PEPs.criminals and high risk persons. See my post below on what to do.

You can obtain a WorldCheck entry to be modified if incorrect/misleading, not if it reports true information. So, if WorldCheck simply states that person X obtained a CIP passport, basically person X is fucked for life.

Moral of the story: forget CIPs. Obtain a solid residence and eventually you might acquire citizenship through naturalization. Or buy a fake pp at a fraction of the price.

The 3p DD service provider must have made enquiries, which caused data to leak everywhere

Come on, let’s stop pretending that a CIP passport is a “passport to freedom”. This narrative is over. You might manage to justify a Turkish passport by pretending to have Turkish ancestors, but small islands… banks today consider those pp as high risk, and rightfully so. CIP passport holders are also being detained at borders and denied entry more and more frequently. Even Chinese nationals today can obtain a visa to almost any country in 48 hours, so it’s just bs that they need a 2nd passport to travel.

You can obtain a WorldCheck entry to be modified if incorrect/misleading, not if it reports true information. So, if WorldCheck simply states that person X obtained a CIP passport, basically person X is fucked for life.

Moral of the story: forget CIPs. Obtain a solid residence and eventually you might acquire citizenship through naturalization. Or buy a fake pp at a fraction of the price.
I actually met a US person with a Dominica passport and he was doing fine a year or two ago.

Could the OP renounce his CBI citizenship if he is indeed on world check because of it and hence clean the record?

I actually met a US person with a Dominica passport and he was doing fine a year or two ago.
Things have changed a lot in the last two years. But it might just be that DD on the other person was conducted by a different, more reliable provider.

Could the OP renounce his CBI citizenship if he is indeed on world check because of it and hence clean the record?
Renouncing citizenship is not a problem. But it is not guaranteed that his record will be cleaned: it might just be modified to something like “purchased citizenship in… renounced in…”, which might even be worse.

Things have changed a lot in the last two years. But it might just be that DD on the other person was conducted by a different, more reliable provider.

Renouncing citizenship is not a problem. But it is not guaranteed that his record will be cleaned: it might just be modified to something like “purchased citizenship in… renounced in…”, which might even be worse.
Curious why would it be worse?

Curious why would it be worse?
Imagine a monkey in the bank’s compliance department seeing that first he bought a passport and then renounced: he will start thinking “this guy must really be dodgy”, “why on earth first he buys a passport and then renounces” etc. In other words, it could draw even more unwanted attention and scrutiny.

Reactions: OffChance
Hello, I'm a US citizen and obtained a Dominica passport three months ago via citizenship by investment (for work purposes). About two weeks after I received the Dominica naturalization paperwork, the US border control revoked my Global Entry. And in the three months since, two banks / brokers have closed all my accounts with them. They send vague letters in the mail that they've made a "business decision". When I call in they won't disclose any other reason. Is this somehow linked to me having obtained a second citizenship and passport? Anyone else have a similar experience? Or obtained a Caribbean passport and had no issues with their US bank accounts?
Appreciate any insight even if it's just that you've obtained a Caribbean passport and not had any issues.
Good Afternoon, you will only be able to pass that passport outside the states and for offshore purposes in different countries, when you use it in the United States you will not be able to pass any kyc in banking institutions, normally bank security asks in this case to block or delete the account due to unusual activity or data disparity, that passport can be used by opening accounts in london, luxemburg offshore countries you can buy a trust with that passport and with that trust you make the investment, please do not use a passport in the United States since you are a citizen and it can cause you unnecessary problems

Last edited:

World check does not work that way unfortunately. Take it from someone with access to the system. It will contain public data from internet with negative stories on you such as criminal offenses, alleged fraud, connection to sanction person or sanctioned entity etc etc. Believe it or not some of the info is scraped from internet news articles which can be wrong. Hence WorldCheck don't allow users to reveal contents of WorldCheck for obvious liability issues.

There is more to this story than meets the eye. Why did an American choose to obtain the CIP passport in first place? It's not just a CIP passport issue there is something wrong in this whole story.

the US border control revoked my Global Entry.

The U.S Global Entry system revocation sounds like its the actual root cause of the problem. You are considered a high risk person. Otherwise why did they revoke your entry in the system. Did you try and enter U.S as a U.S Person with a Dominica passport?

World check does not work that way unfortunately. Take it from someone with access to the system. It will contain public data from internet with negative stories on you such as criminal offenses, alleged fraud, connection to sanction person or sanctioned entity etc etc. Believe it or not some of the info is scraped from internet news articles which can be wrong. Hence WorldCheck don't allow users to reveal contents of WorldCheck for obvious liability issues.
WorldCheck will disclose the data it retains under a GDPR request; and it will definitely respond to a well written letter from a lawyer; if not, they will be forced to do so by a court. Been there, did that (precisely because they misread a internet source).
WorldCheck is a shitty business and there are plenty of horror stories about it. They mostly collect data from web open sources but they also have access to semi-private sources such as court records etc.

WorldCheck will disclose the data it retains under a GDPR request; and it will definitely respond to a well written letter from a lawyer; if not, they will be forced to do so by a court. Been there, did that (precisely because they misread a internet source).

Banks and FI's do not tell you it is WorldCheck they use. They are not permitted to. Legal action is not the first route to take. World Check already provides a link to check with them anyway if your in their database and I sent OP a link to a post I made on how to check with them if he is in WorldCheck. False positives do happen.

WorldCheck is a shitty business and there are plenty of horror stories about it. They mostly collect data from web open sources but they also have access to semi-private sources such as court records etc.

As I said already they scrape the internet for news articles. So mistakes to happen. But U.S Global Entry seems to be issue anyway.

Banks and FI's do not tell you it is WorldCheck they use. They are not permitted to. Legal action is not the first route to take. World Check already provides a link to check with them anyway if your in their database and I sent OP a link to a post I made on how to check with them if he is in WorldCheck. False positives do happen.

It seems like nowadays WorldCheck requires you to send a copy of your passport before confirming if they have you on their database or not (or so they told me). Would you feel comfortable sending them a copy of your ID?

Reactions: jafo and wellington

Latest Threads