Our valued sponsor

US based investor with Seychelles IBC and trust distributions

Hi,

I am an investment company based in the United States that engages in a wide variety (stocks, commodity, crypto) trading through a Seychelles IBC and I am looking to transfer ownership to a Seychelles-based trust with me and my family as the beneficiaries. Is there any way we could get "tax advantages" on distributions from that trust, and if not, how would I pay taxes personally on distributions from that trust?

Thanks

If we remove the trust, think of your IBC as a C Corp.

It's not quite that simple. However, if you are a US person conducting business activities from US soil, all the activities of the IBC would likely considered taking place in the US which means it's all taxable in the US.

The trust may or may not make a difference. How much control you exercise over it and how beneficiaries are paid can be crucial in determining the validity of the trust.

If the trust is accepted and your distributions are deemed coming from the trust and not the IBC, you need to determine if it's interest or distribution. IIRC, the general rule is that IRS assumed taxes have been deducted prior to being paid to the beneficiary. Not sure how this would work with a foreign trust.

You should really speak with a legal adviser about this.

If we remove the trust, think of your IBC as a C Corp.

It's not quite that simple. However, if you are a US person conducting business activities from US soil, all the activities of the IBC would likely considered taking place in the US which means it's all taxable in the US.

The trust may or may not make a difference. How much control you exercise over it and how beneficiaries are paid can be crucial in determining the validity of the trust.

If the trust is accepted and your distributions are deemed coming from the trust and not the IBC, you need to determine if it's interest or distribution. IIRC, the general rule is that IRS assumed taxes have been deducted prior to being paid to the beneficiary. Not sure how this would work with a foreign trust.

You should really speak with a legal adviser about this.
Thank you. I think I should be fine if the trust uses nominee trustees and overseas bank accounts, but I wonder which lawyer i should speak with...

Latest Threads