Our valued sponsor

US federal system

American federalism is degenerated and now largely only on paper.
As I already explained, that is simply not true. The various states were almost like two different countries during the pandemic. The liberal ones were quite strict, while the conservative ones were libertarian.

Even at the very height of the pandemic, in March and April 2020, seven states had no stay at home orders. Many more loosened their restrictions soon after, when they compiled more health data. That simply could not happen if federalism was dead and the federal government had free reign.
Seven states—Arkansas, Iowa, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Utah, and Wyoming—did not issue orders directing residents to stay at home from nonessential activities in March and April 2020 in response to the coronavirus pandemic. The 43 other states all issued orders at the state level directing residents to stay at home except for essential activities and closing businesses that each state deemed nonessential.

Gianfranco Miglio was one of the greatest academics of the past century. Unfortunately most of his books have not yet been translated into English.

Considerations about federalism go beyond some stupid mask mandates.
Learn to apply logic. If federalism was not alive and well in the U.S., then all fifty U.S. states would have had the same policies regarding masks, lockdowns, vaccine mandates, and mandate firings. That did not happen.

The American Union (of individual States) was designed as an incubator of ideas, where different laws would be enacted or rejected based on the desires of the residents of each state. The exceptions being where liberties are protected in the Bill of Rights, where the individual States could tread only with caution.

Yes, federalism has waned somewhat with a bigger federal government, but federalism is far from dead in the U.S. The U.S. is still its most shining example of success (with a nod to the Cantons of Switzerland).

Learn to apply logic. If federalism was not alive and well in the U.S., then all fifty U.S. states would have had the same policies regarding masks, lockdowns, vaccine mandates, and mandate firings. That did not happen.

The American Union (of individual States) was designed as an incubator of ideas, where different laws would be enacted or rejected based on the desires of the residents of each state. The exceptions being where liberties are protected in the Bill of Rights, where the individual States could tread only with caution.

Yes, federalism has waned somewhat with a bigger federal government, but federalism is far from dead in the U.S. The U.S. is still its most shining example of success (with a nod to the Cantons of Switzerland).
Thank you for debunking in 3 quick paragraphs 200+ years of academic studies thu&¤#

Thank you for debunking in 3 quick paragraphs 200+ years of academic studies thu&¤#
Well, then produce the "studies" -- rather than just running your mouth. Back up your claims.

Now that you mention it, considering the absence of any logic or facts in your prior statements, I now hang my head in deep and abiding shame that it actually took me three paragraphs to refute your contentions.

It should have only taken a sentence or two.

Last edited:
This is an English language forum. So, I will take that as a concession of the argument.

As usual, you show no use of logic, reasoning, facts, truth, evidence, or proof.
As I already wrote, unfortunately this book is not translated, but any serious academic knows Gianfranco Miglio and his studies. This is not the appropriate place to discuss political science so I referred to literature that can argument much better than I do the fact that federalism of the USA is degenerated. Certainly this has nothing to do with masks mandates or other mundane facts and is apparent to everyone who has an interest in political science.

As I already wrote, unfortunately this book is not translated, but any serious academic knows Gianfranco Miglio and his studies. This is not the appropriate place to discuss political science so I referred to literature that can argument much better than I do the fact that federalism of the USA is degenerated. Certainly this has nothing to do with masks mandates or other mundane facts and is apparent to everyone who has an interest in political science.
As usual, you seek to change your original argument. You now claim that the "federalism of the USA is degenerated." There is no question that federalism in the U.S. has deteriorated since the founding of the Republic.

But that is not what you originally claimed. Your original claim was that "American federalism is degenerated and now largely only on paper." (Post #33) That is patently false -- and easily disproved by the fact that all fifty states created different rules during the pandemic.

Political control by the individual States (versus political control by a central government) is the very essence of federalism, where a central government has only certain limited powers while the state is the basic unit of political power. So, your original point, that federalism now exists in the U.S. "largely only on paper" is utterly discredited and thoroughly debunked by the fact that the individual States continue to make their own decisions in most spheres of life -- including pandemic policy.

This discussion is pertinent to the topic of this thread because anyone who has legal residency in the U.S. -- and who wants to avoid future pandemic nonsense -- can simply move to one of the many individual States that refuse to treat their residents like mindless children.

Last edited:
As usual, you seek to change your original argument. You now claim that the "federalism of the USA is degenerated." There is no question that federalism in the U.S. has deteriorated since the founding of the Republic.

But that is not what you originally claimed. Your original claim was that "American federalism is degenerated and now largely only on paper." (Post #33) That is patently false -- and easily disproved by the fact that all fifty states created different rules during the pandemic.

State control (versus federal control by a central government) is the very essence of federalism. So, your original point, that federalism exists in the U.S. now exists "largely only on paper" is utterly discredited and thoroughly debunked by the fact that the individual States continue to make their own decisions in most spheres of life.

This discussion is pertinent to the topic of this thread because anyone who has legal residency in the U.S. -- and who wants to avoid future pandemic nonsense -- can simply move to one of the many States that refused to treat their residents like mindless children.
Fortunately science is not a democracy. You evidently have no clue of what federalism is but you are free to believe what you like.

FYI, there are examples of non federal states where rules varied within their territories, in different regions or provinces.

You evidently have no clue of what federalism is but you are free to believe what you like.

FYI, there are examples of non federal states where rules varied within their territories, in different regions or provinces.
We are discussing the United States. So, no need to make foolish arguments based on other countries.

I do not believe what I like. I believe in the truth, based on facts, evidence, and established proof.
Federalism is a system of government in which the same territory is controlled by two levels of government. Generally, an overarching national government is responsible for broader governance of larger territorial areas, while the smaller subdivisions, states, and cities govern the issues of local concern. Both the national government and the smaller political subdivisions have the power to make laws and both have a certain level of autonomy from each other.

United States​

In the United States, the Constitution has established a system of “dual sovereignty,” under which the States have surrendered many of their powers to the Federal Government, but also retained some sovereignty. Examples of this dual sovereignty are described in the U.S. Constitution.
The Tenth Amendment reserves powers to the states, as long as those powers are not delegated to the federal government. Among other powers, this includes creating school systems, overseeing state courts, creating public safety systems, managing business and trade within the state, and managing local government. These powers are referred to as reserved powers.

Wow today Google university makes everyone a scientist thu&¤#
So, you now believe that you know more about U.S. constitutional law than one of the leading law schools in the United States. A very basic and elemental level of constitutional law, I might add. You are truly one seriously deluded individual.

So, no need to up the dosage of your prescription for Delusionol. Unfortunately, like many other prescription drugs passed out in the tens of millions, Delusionol is highly addictive. Once you experience the "high" of believing your own BS, it's almost impossible to return to reality. You have now clearly reached that point.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JohnnyDoe

Latest Threads