Our valued sponsor

US Withholding tax on royalties solutions

Mr Gus

Feb 3, 2021
Liberia
Visit site
I see a lot of topics on this issue and new ones popping up every week, it might be nice to just have one thread to discuss this topic and list all possible solutions.

The problem

Withholding of 30% on all US revenue generated from YouTube / Google ad earnings.

The case

Trying to achieve a as low as possible tax rate by reducing the withholding tax and other taxes. There are quite a few legal options and as far as I know and one non-legal option but the latter one is commonly used.

Legal Solutions

Malta company + non-dom resident (10% US withholding tax)

- 5% corporate tax on trading income, so all revenue there is no US withholding tax on will apply to this (6/7 refund on 35%)
- 11.8% corporate tax on royalty income, you get a tax credit resulting (2/3 refund on 35%)

No withholding if you pay it out as dividends to a foreign holding company, and leave it there a 1-2 years and then remit it to Malta tax free. So you will effectively pay somewhere between 5-11.8%

Cyprus company + non-dom resident (0% US withholding tax)
- 12.5% corporate tax

I believe 2.25% dividend tax when paying out the dividends so effective tax of 15%

Bulgaria company + resident (10% US withholding tax)
- 10% corporate tax (The withholding tax can be offset by the corporate tax by making use of the tax credit)

You will be subject to 5% tax on dividends so an effective tax rate of 15%.

Georgia company + resident (0% us withholding tax)
- 15% corporate tax
- 0% corporate tax for Virtual IT zone companies (I heard it is really hard to get a license for it today and I am not sure if a YouTube business is eligible for this status)
- 1% for small businesses if your revenue is below 500.000 Georgian Lari

In case you make use of a regular company or virtual one you will have to pay 5% on dividend distributions so in Georgia you will have an effective tax rate of 1%, 5% or 20%.

Non - Legal Solutions

UAE Resident + UK LLP
-
0% tax on personal income in the UAE
- 0% withholding tax on US revenue in the UK

The reason this is not legal is because of the LOB clause in the tax treaty between the US which states that at least 50% needs to be held by a UK resident. I see many people use this setup and so far so good because as far as I know the W8-Ben forms are not directly reported to the IRS but I am not sure about this. However if the IRS start digging into this scheme you are very easily caught, you can even google the residency of the directors/shareholders of an LLP.

Worth looking into Solutions

UAE Resident + Georgian Company
- 15% corporate tax
- 0% corporate tax for Virtual IT zone companies (I heard it is really hard to get a license for it today and I am not sure if a YouTube business is eligible for this status)

Since there is no LOB clause in the US and USSR tax treaty this could be an option worth looking into however would require some more expertise, especially if you are eligible for a Virtual IT zone company. Which would mean 0% tax because of the tax treaty between Georgia and the UAE otherwise 15%.

====

If you any addition to this list or spot a mistake please let it know.

US LLC being a Thailand resident, since Thailand has a tax-treaty with US and it is a territorial tax system total tax would be 0 %
So you think US LLC + UAE resident would work as well?

I see a lot of topics on this issue and new ones popping up every week, it might be nice to just have one thread to discuss this topic and list all possible solutions.

The problem

Withholding of 30% on all US revenue generated from YouTube / Google ad earnings.

The case

Trying to achieve a as low as possible tax rate by reducing the withholding tax and other taxes. There are quite a few legal options and as far as I know and one non-legal option but the latter one is commonly used.

Legal Solutions

Malta company + non-dom resident (10% US withholding tax)

- 5% corporate tax on trading income, so all revenue there is no US withholding tax on will apply to this (6/7 refund on 35%)
- 11.8% corporate tax on royalty income, you get a tax credit resulting (2/3 refund on 35%)

No withholding if you pay it out as dividends to a foreign holding company, and leave it there a 1-2 years and then remit it to Malta tax free. So you will effectively pay somewhere between 5-11.8%

Cyprus company + non-dom resident (0% US withholding tax)
- 12.5% corporate tax

I believe 2.25% dividend tax when paying out the dividends so effective tax of 15%

Bulgaria company + resident (10% US withholding tax)
- 10% corporate tax (The withholding tax can be offset by the corporate tax by making use of the tax credit)

You will be subject to 5% tax on dividends so an effective tax rate of 15%.

Georgia company + resident (0% us withholding tax)
- 15% corporate tax
- 1% for small businesses if your revenue is below 500.000 Georgian Lari

In case you make use of a regular company or virtual one you will have to pay 5% on dividend distributions so in Georgia you will have an effective tax rate of 1%, 5% or 20%.

Non - Legal Solutions

UAE Resident + UK LLP
-
0% tax on personal income in the UAE
- 0% withholding tax on US revenue in the UK

The reason this is not legal is because of the LOB clause in the tax treaty between the US which states that at least 50% needs to be held by a UK resident. I see many people use this setup and so far so good because as far as I know the W8-Ben forms are not directly reported to the IRS but I am not sure about this. However if the IRS start digging into this scheme you are very easily caught, you can even google the residency of the directors/shareholders of an LLP.

Worth looking into Solutions

UAE Resident + Georgian Company
- 15% corporate tax

Since there is no LOB clause in the US and USSR tax treaty this could be an option worth looking into however would require some more expertise, especially if you are eligible for a Virtual IT zone company. Which would mean 0% tax because of the tax treaty between Georgia and the UAE otherwise 15%.

====

If you any addition to this list or spot a mistake please let it know.
Really appreciate this thread!

US LLC being a Thailand resident, since Thailand has a tax-treaty with US and it is a territorial tax system total tax would be 0 %
Thai residency would be possible however there is a 15% withholding tax so not 0% tax but 15% tax on revenue.

UAE company that owns a HU company. 0% US withholding tax on royalties, 9% corporate tax total.
Yeah looked into this as well but there is a a limitation on benefits clause stating that 50% of the shares need to be held by either a Hungarian resident or US resident in order to claim benefits, so that's not an option.

Last edited:
@WIE7 What about an Estonian company with UAE shareholders and directors. Wouldn't the Estonian company be recognized as a UAE company by Estonian tax man since it is administrated from UAE (but still leverage tax treaty between Estonia and UAE) but considered as an opaque company from the US point of view?

What about an Estonian company with UAE shareholders and directors. Wouldn't the Estonian company be recognized as a UAE company by Estonian tax man since it is administrated from UAE but considered as an opaque company from the US point of view?
It depends where you are a resident, not the company + plus Estonia has 15% dividend tax, so what's the point.

Reactions: Mr Gus
@WIE7 What about an Estonian company with UAE shareholders and directors. Wouldn't the Estonian company be recognized as a UAE company by Estonian tax man since it is administrated from UAE (but still leverage tax treaty between Estonia and UAE) but considered as an opaque company from the US point of view?
There is also a limitation on benefits clause in the US - Estonian treaty, stating that at least 50% of the shareholders need to be resident in either the US or Estonia.

We're in the same boat, guys.

So you either do like me illegally or do it like @WIE7 legally.

Yeah unfortunately :(

At this point I do not understand why you created an LLP where there is public register that shows that you residence is in UAE, better use an US LLC and sign a W8BEN to Google using your home country documents, at least there is no public evidence available proving your real residence.

Yeah unfortunately :(

At this point I do not understand why you created an LLP where there is public register that shows that you residence is in UAE, better use an US LLC and sign a W8BEN to Google using your home country documents, at least there is no public evidence available proving your real residence.
I have created it long time ago and I says I'm a resident of my home country, not the UAE :)

I have found an additional option: Italy. it requires you to switch your Adsense earnings from a business to a private account.

You can get a 70% income tax reduction for 5 years if you move to the northern part of Italy and 90% income tax reduction if you move to the southern part + Sardinia, there is 0% withholding tax on US revenue in Italy. Resulting in an effective tax rate of 5% for the southern part and 15% for the northern part.

The only downside is you can't make any deductions because you are not making use of a company otherwise the income tax reduction will not apply I believe.

I am from Italy, please guys stay away from here. Here it is a tax hell and even by using this tax deduction you are entitled to pay social insure contribution to INPS.
I want to move away from Italy as soon a possible! haha

I am from Italy, please guys stay away from here. Here it is a tax hell and even by using this tax deduction you are entitled to pay social insure contribution to INPS.
I want to move away from Italy as soon a possible! haha
Haha I understand that Italy has some downsides but it might be a country worth to consider for some people.

How much are the social security contributions?

Ah that makes it a lot les interesting indeed.

What else makes Italy so bad to live in?
Life quality is good (food, people and summer is very enjoyable here), but during winter like now especially in the north is very cold. Also here the bureaucracy and taxes are too high, it is nearly impossible to run a tech business here. Most of the time is spent dealing with government filings and documents instead that focusing on business.