Our valued sponsor

Virtual office US LLC

Cazorla

Dec 30, 2020
Visit site
Hi,

I would like to know, is virtual office required for a foreign owned US LLC ? What are the benefits of having a virtual office when the work is done online ? If your business doesn't need to pay taxes in the US, can that virtual office change that and get you engaged in US trade or business (can it be counted as PE ?) ? Also, can I put registered agent's address on my website like an address for my business?

Thank you.

I would like to know, is virtual office required for a foreign owned US LLC ?
You are required to have a registered address in the state where you incorporate. You are not required to have a virtual office.

What are the benefits of having a virtual office when the work is done online ?
Pretty much none.

If your business doesn't need to pay taxes in the US, can that virtual office change that and get you engaged in US trade or business (can it be counted as PE ?) ?
In theory, yes.

Assuming that your LLC is treated as a pass-through entity, the LLC itself would not be taxable but profits from the LLC distributed to you can under some circumstances be considered US income. Advice from tax advisers on this vary and even the IRS isn't very clear. Generally speaking, a US LLC owned and operated outside of the US which does no or very little business within the US is not on the IRS' radar. If you trade within the US, that portion of your income may be taxable.

Having a virtual office could conceivably be considered as more of a PE in the US than not having one, but the PE tests look at more than just that. It also considers for example where the products/services are manufactured, provided, stored, and processed, and where the company's operations are.

Also, can I put registered agent's address on my website like an address for my business?
Yes, that's perfectly normal. But if you expect letters to be sent to that address, you might need to discuss that with your agent first.

Reactions: Mark Rucken
You are required to have a registered address in the state where you incorporate. You are not required to have a virtual office.

Pretty much none.

In theory, yes.

Assuming that your LLC is treated as a pass-through entity, the LLC itself would not be taxable but profits from the LLC distributed to you can under some circumstances be considered US income. Advice from tax advisers on this vary and even the IRS isn't very clear. Generally speaking, a US LLC owned and operated outside of the US which does no or very little business within the US is not on the IRS' radar. If you trade within the US, that portion of your income may be taxable.

Having a virtual office could conceivably be considered as more of a PE in the US than not having one, but the PE tests look at more than just that. It also considers for example where the products/services are manufactured, provided, stored, and processed, and where the company's operations are.

Yes, that's perfectly normal. But if you expect letters to be sent to that address, you might need to discuss that with your agent first.
Got it, thanks.

You don't need a virtual office.

But you need to ask your registered agent if they will provide you with an address you can use as an official business address for your website/ docs/invoices etc. It's usually their own address but each company gets assigned a unique unit number.

Furthermore, inquire how they handle your business mail, will they forward it to your country and what the costs are.
Sure most of it can be scanned but not stuff like bank/credit cards. ;)

Some of the smaller RA companies only scan/forward offical mail from the state or IRS. Every RA in the US is required to do that by law.

You don't need a virtual office.

But you need to ask your registered agent if they will provide you with an address you can use as an official business address for your website/ docs/invoices etc. It's usually their own address but each company gets assigned a unique unit number.

Furthermore, inquire how they handle your business mail, will they forward it to your country and what the costs are.
Sure most of it can be scanned but not stuff like bank/credit cards. ;)

Some of the smaller RA companies only scan/forward offical mail from the state or IRS. Every RA in the US is required to do that by law.
Looks like Northwest would be fine for all of that. I spoke with ZenBusiness but they do not even provide mail forwarding services and I cannot use their address on my website.
Do you have any recommendation, what do you think about Northwest ?

If all fails you could look into

Not cheap but they can most often provide such service for any place in the world.

Looks like Northwest would be fine for all of that. I spoke with ZenBusiness but they do not even provide mail forwarding services and I cannot use their address on my website.
Do you have any recommendation, what do you think about Northwest ?

I saw Northwest being mentioned on this forum but can't say anything about them.
Haven't looked into them because I thought (judging by their name) they only offer WY but now I see do offer incorporations in all the states.
On Trustpilot Northwest has only ONE rating....which is positive.
So I guess they are OK.

For WY see Wyoming Registered Agent | $49 | Buffalo Registered Agents

I had Buffalo bookmarked in my browser before I decided I want to incorporate in NM.

In NM there are NO state annual filing requirements or cost, apart from RA fee.

NEW MEXICO REGISTERED AGENT | $35 A YEAR

High Desert Filings doesn't offer a business address/business mail service, only forward official mail but are possibily the cheapest RA you will find.

Cindy's has everything including virtual office set up and I find the cost to be reasonable.
I sent them an email and the owner Cindy replied that Virtual Office is a requirement for opening a US Amazon Sellers account.
Apparently Amazon wants a real address and not a unit number.
For everything else a business address/mail forwarding service will suffice.

Hi,

I would like to know, is virtual office required for a foreign owned US LLC ? What are the benefits of having a virtual office when the work is done online ? If your business doesn't need to pay taxes in the US, can that virtual office change that and get you engaged in US trade or business (can it be counted as PE ?) ? Also, can I put registered agent's address on my website like an address for my business?

Thank you.
C, hi.
Is not necessary to have a virtual office, you need to register a local address and have a resident agent. If you open a US LLC, profits are taxable when income comes from US clients.

If there is a problem with the server, there is a risk that you will lose important data and will not be able to restore it. I think it's better to have an offline office. I have been working at the serviced office singapore price for more than a year and I can say that it is much more convenient. Some data is stored in virtual space , and the most important ones are transferred to paper and sent to the archive.

Pretty much what sols and fothermucker have said already. When I was considering opening US LLC northwest came to my mind. If I were to go to a real US bank for a business account and the bank asks for office lease (northwest gives you an office lease).

Latest Threads