Our valued sponsor

What are the review of Mauritius for moving for tax purpose as no tax if not remit here?

real world experience you don't pay taxes from money you got from a cc of a foreign company
does this also work with any credit card? So personal CC?

One more question.
What if I am freelancer and would register my business in Mauritius as Self Employed with the deposit of 35.000$.

I work 7 months per year in Mauritius and become tax resident. I move to another country and work there for 5 Months. (Dubai, Indonesia, Thailand (DTA), ...)
I have a fixed flat in Mauritius, but not in the other country.

Would this work to:
A) reduce my mauritian sourced-income below the solidary levy threshold of 3.000.000 MUR ~ 66.666$ (as long it's not remitted)
B) not pay taxes in the other countries because either they are tax free or they have a DTA? (let's keep it on taxes for now, I know that a work permit is a different thing)
C) have a fixed home-base where I can invoice my clients from (whole year same address on my invoices) and still work in other countries?

Is this common practice or will this cause any trouble? Maybe you have a similar setup?

Last edited:
Do you live in Mauritius? So this is real world experience?

Thanks!

I also think it's remitted as it flows through a local bank. But I am not really want to avoid taxes. I fine to pay for what I use in Mauritius.
Yes, also cash bills in the pocket count since its remitted as well.
If its a loan by a foreign company with substance elsewhere and where one is not the only hidden shareholder, that works, but surely not with a single member llc. ;)

There is a difference between the theory and real world indeed.
I see in Mauritius some people remitting crypto without any problem (no taxation, questions) for the moment. But if you ask to banks if there are crypto friendly, they will probably say no... but let you withdraw. There is a grey area. The same with foreign CC used locally.

does this also work with any credit card? So personal CC?

One more question.
What if I am freelancer and would register my business in Mauritius as Self Employed with the deposit of 35.000$.

I work 7 months per year in Mauritius and become tax resident. I move to another country and work there for 5 Months. (Dubai, Indonesia, Thailand (DTA), ...)
I have a fixed flat in Mauritius, but not in the other country.

Would this work to:
A) reduce my mauritian sourced-income below the solidary levy threshold of 3.000.000 MUR ~ 66.666$ (as long it's not remitted)
B) not pay taxes in the other countries because either they are tax free or they have a DTA? (let's keep it on taxes for now, I know that a work permit is a different thing)
C) have a fixed home-base where I can invoice my clients from (whole year same address on my invoices) and still work in other countries?

Is this common practice or will this cause any trouble? Maybe you have a similar setup?
a)have your company outside of mauritius and don't transfer funds to mauritus and you don't need to pay taxes.Make payments via cc and it won't be taxed either.

c)Mauritius has a non dom like cyprus which means you need to stay 270 days in 3 years or 90 per year however i don't exactly know how many days you need to stay in the first year.

There is a difference between the theory and real world indeed.
I see in Mauritius some people remitting crypto without any problem (no taxation, questions) for the moment. But if you ask to banks if there are crypto friendly, they will probably say no... but let you withdraw. There is a grey area. The same with foreign CC used locally.
Sure, without going into details, the geographic location alone gives indication how it works in practice ;) and I would not expect German style enforcement.

Seriously considering a move to South Africa (crazy I k ow when everyone else is leaving)…

how did the move go? I own and live in Cape town now for 8+ years. Intending to move permanently from EU. Aiming for a non dom style tax heaven setup. Very curious why I am hearing so little about having a domicile - yet sepending less tha 183 days per year in the country and not be taxable on worldwide passive income.