Our valued sponsor

Question What happens if I don't fulfill a Belize companies obligations for 2023? I wish only to retrieve stuck funds.

TomNOYB

Dec 8, 2022
Thailand
Visit site
I have a bank account on my Belize company with stuck funds, as this bank froze all their accounts.
Now 2-3 years later this bank is almost ready for the refund.
Alas to my lack of knowledge, I recently had to revive the Belize company, so I could open a new corporate bank account, to be able to receive the refund.
Since 2020, a Belize company needs to file an Economic Substance form, an IPAG form, acquire a TIN and file an annual tax return.
For 2023 they also need re-register into the new OBRS system.

My company was inactive since 2020 and has not done any of this.

The goal is to retrieve the funds, which should come in a few months, and close the company.

The agent's cost to renew and do all the above is about $1400, but I suspect this could wake the beast.
Nothing has been filed for 2020, probably meaning fines. 2022 and 2023 will also need to be reported meaning extra cost again.

My questions:
1. How long after not renewing with my agent, will my company still remain active on the registrar?
2. If I manage to get the refund in a few months, but forgo all of my Belize obligations, what's the worst that can happen? I am a tax resident of Thailand. Thailand doesn't care. Can I simply ignore the fines as long as I'll never set foot in Belize?

Reactions: troubled soul
I would do the same in your case.
Under normal circumstances, after 1 year of not paying the renewal fee the company's status will become inactive. After 3 years it'll dissolve.
I hope this re-register into the new OBRS system doesn't change anything.
But I still wonder, what can they do? Even if I had a $100k fine to pay to Belize. Can they do anything, other that write me letters?

I would do the same in your case.
Under normal circumstances, after 1 year of not paying the renewal fee the company's status will become inactive. After 3 years it'll dissolve.
I hope this re-register into the new OBRS system doesn't change anything.
But I still wonder, what can they do? Even if I had a $100k fine to pay to Belize. Can they do anything, other that write me letters?

I am a resident of Belize and law enforcement is pretty underfunded. It's a small country with a small reach and a lot of corruption. I would try to do everything remotely if possible or have someone here do it for you just to be safe. I also wouldn't be surprised if there was someone you can reach to make this all blow over with the reputation of corruption Belize has attained.

Reactions: boomy

Latest Threads