Our valued sponsor

What is the portal in Portugal to find homes for rent?

EliasIT

Corporate Services
Mentor Group Lifetime
Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Please provide a link to the portal if you know it?

I'm looking for the biggest of them like they have them in Germany, Switzerland and many other countries.

Reactions: jayM and JohnLocke
What are the areas to live as an expat there? I don't speak Portuguese, (German, English fluent) love water and palm trees but also want to be reasonably close to the city?

Reactions: jayM
Cascais/Estoril
Anything you would recommend me if I had children and a wife with me? something I need to pay attention to when looking for renting at first?

Anything you would recommend me if I had children and a wife with me? something I need to pay attention to when looking for renting at first?
The area is generally safe. Depending on your budget and preferences you could consider gated resorts, like Quinta Patino, Penha Longa etc. where there is no road traffic and you can find houses with nice private gardens.

Reactions: EliasIT
Awesome, what about the fact I don't speak their language, German, English is fine? Do they respond to e-mail enquiries not in Portuguese? Or how would you go about it?

Awesome, what about the fact I don't speak their language, German, English is fine? Do they respond to e-mail enquiries not in Portuguese? Or how would you go about it?
In that area you should not have problems speaking just English, especially inside resorts. Most government websites have an English version and they do reply in English, also police, utility companies etc. Anyway basic Portuguese is not difficult to learn.

The north of Portugal is also very nice, the area around Porto , little risk of earthquakes and tsunamis unlike Lisbon and Algarve. The most destructive Tsunamis | Lisbon, Portugal 1755

If you are moving to a tsunami risk region, it is best to make sure that you do not live directly on the sea or at least on the 2nd floor of an earthquake-proof building. You will sleep better, even though Portugal has now introduced an early warning system for tsunamis.

Porto will be a good alternative with a big expat community as well.

• Haha
Reactions: Commodus
Okay your link is for 1755 Do you have paranoia???

In that area you should not have problems speaking just English, especially inside resorts. Most government websites have an English version and they do reply in English, also police, utility companies etc. Anyway basic Portuguese is not difficult to learn.
Good to know, will have to check that too..

Reactions: JohnLocke
If you are looking to Bahamas beachfront lifestyle in Portugal, the only place like that is Porto Santo island with similar to Canary Islands climate and nice long beaches.
Sintra is the best place to live in continental Portugal if you are rich and can afford a villa there.

Reactions: JohnLocke
Okay your link is for 1755 Do you have paranoia???

Good to know, will have to check that too..
The fact that the last very strong earthquake happened so long ago should be more of a concern in this case. But well, you asked: "Anything you would recommend me if I had children and a wife with me? something I need to pay attention to when looking for renting at first?"

I think this is something to consider or need to know when moving to an earthquake/tsunami area like lisbon.

There is also a good documentary about risk: La Gran Ola (2017) - Plot - IMDb
However, it is primarily only scientists warning and what do they know...

In case you haven't found what you're looking for - some more real estate sites:

I would like to hear if there are any people who have recently moved to Portugal from some of the more central European countries such as Germany, Switzerland, and Scandinavia?

I have moved from Germany to Portugal mid 2022. But I moved to the Algarve not the North and didn't buy property. I was thinking about buying for a while but I don't feel I will stay here long enough to make it worthwhile.
Rents are through the roof compared to the median wages. Real estate close to the sea and near tourists areas are not worth buying in my opinion, since they are mostly low quality builds and you only pay for the land.
Also if you still need to work and didn't get the old NHR status it might not be worth moving at all to Portugal. Taxes and social security are just stupid for normal people. Even with the old NHR you still pay 20% tax and about 16% for social security.
That said - I do like the Algarve. It's fun for a while and you definitively don't need to speak any Portuguese. It's still very save and - depending on your preferences - the summers are hot with millions of tourists and winters bearable temperature wise but in solitude.

Reactions: Ibus and JohnLocke
Thank you for your review, what is the average rent in Algarve for a medium luxury flat if such thing exists there?

Funny thing about tourist areas is, that everyone wants to rent out their apartment to holiday makers in the 4 summer months. So there are many cheaper offers when you only rent from October to May. But if you are renting year round for a 2 bedroom luxury apartment with communal pool be prepared for a monthly pay of 2000€ upwards. If you like your own house with a little garden and private pool be prepared to pay from 3000€ upwards - though this really depends on the area. I live in Lagos which seems to be in the pricier area. Just 20 km further east in Portimao rents are a bit more reasonable - but probably only 15% less

Reactions: Marketint