Our valued sponsor

What prevents two parties with untaxed crypto to open a service provision biz and bill each other to tax it at 0%?

zen12345

Mar 4, 2023
Singapore
Visit site
Hey,
I was discussing this with a couple of friends yesterday. If you have two parties with untaxed crypto, can you not just both open a random service provider business in Dubai, such as lifestyle coaching, bill each other at, say, $1k/hr, and receive crypto in a biz account account on an exchange then later withdraw it to crypto-friendly bank and wire to your personal?

What are potential complications with this?

They did for one of our corporations for 4 years back, and they won, even though we had lawyers and accountants involved. The tax authorities these days don't care what you say and if necessary they will lie to the truth. There is no morality in the public sector anymore.
If audited, a future tax authority might make you go back in time far enough to explain where the crypto came from.

Hey,
I was discussing this with a couple of friends yesterday. If you have two parties with untaxed crypto, can you not just both open a random service provider business in Dubai, such as lifestyle coaching, bill each other at, say, $1k/hr, and receive crypto in a biz account account on an exchange then later withdraw it to crypto-friendly bank and wire to your personal?

Why on earth should they do that? They already have crypto, they don’t need that obsolete, inflationary thing called fiat and to deal with risky banks.

Crypto “allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution”

Hey,

Nothing.
I will just add that you need make sure that you have POW (proof of work) and contracts/invoices for your transactions.
for myself,I have custom software built in-house, (CRM, marketing software) that I license to my other company and get paid directly to my bank account. from the bank perspective, it's SaaS. Nothing related to crypto. But mine is much more complicated than simple contracts/invoices.
Why on earth should they do that? They already have crypto, they don’t need that obsolete, inflationary thing called fiat and to deal with risky banks.

Crypto “allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution”
To pay for expenses, I love Crypto but sadly, not everything can be paid with crypto.

Hey,

Sort of, but we need more info, if you think you are going to stay in Britain with no economic substance in Dubai, and the British tax authorities are not going to accept the idea of you doing transactions outside of their jurisdiction while you sit inside it. Be better to just get a visa to a non-British place and just spend a few months in Britain while being a non-resident.

Congrats, you and your friends have invented money laundering.

Would this work? Maybe, maybe not. It depends on how deeply any of the bank looks into the source of funds/wealth. If audited, a future tax authority might make you go back in time far enough to explain where the crypto came from.
isn't 'money laundering' only about money that was obtained illegally?
if spaceX buys a few Tesla cars from Tesla, is in money laundering as well? o_O
looks to me like regular accounting... why two companies cannot invoice each other for some services? if services are a fraud or funds are illegal etc' then it's a different question, but as long as these are legit service contracts, I doubt proof is needed to make sure any actual work was really performed (or anybody cares was anything provided or not, as long as both parties are fine with their invoices and contracts), isn't it the case?

Would be first tax evasion, followed by money laundering.

Having said that, if you own this crypto legally, and are say British, European (i believe) you could legally move to a tax ideal location and do the above (as income) - its UAE problem, then liquidate and move back to the UK/EU (subject to the times) without issues i'd imagine, but why go through the effort. can do in your own name...

I never really understand why people get creative, move to Dubai (similar) stay for the 180 days, withdraw to fiat, then when your ready move back home and move it in Fiat.

There's no tax for 'income' perse, if moving back home, there is for capital gains, but it's income if you earned it...

Latest Threads