Our valued sponsor

Where/how to host the website so that the US officials don't treat you like they treated Kim Dotcom?

This largely depends on the type of website and/or content you want to publish.

You need to go through each and every single thing necessary to host a website and identify the weak points (TLD, domain registar, network, ...)

i.e. it makes no sense to host a website on some remote island which has favourable laws yet a terrible internet connection

Don't upset US officials and you're fine.

If you do, place yourself physically somewhere US cannot reach. I wouldn't place a web server in those locations as the connectivity is probably going to be dreadful and expensive (small island nations or third-world countries).

Instead, have multiple redundancies and set them up as anonymously as possible.

As @mange38 mentioned, TLD is also important. Diversify and have redundancies. All .com and many other TLDs are under US control even if you register them through some "offshore" registrar.

Don't upset US officials and you're fine.

If you do, place yourself physically somewhere US cannot reach. I wouldn't place a web server in those locations as the connectivity is probably going to be dreadful and expensive (small island nations or third-world countries).

Instead, have multiple redundancies and set them up as anonymously as possible.

As @mange38 mentioned, TLD is also important. Diversify and have redundancies. All .com and many other TLDs are under US control even if you register them through some "offshore" registrar.
ALL of the internet is under the control of US, regardless of domain type. Correct me if I'm wrong. So I think one's goal would be to protect his identity in case s**t happens. The biggest problem in this case seems to be how to use the money you earn.

ALL of the internet is under the control of US, regardless of domain type. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Depending on how simplistic of a view you want to take on the topic, I'd say that it is not correct. While the US has enormous influence and vast-ranging powers, it does not have complete, unilateral control the internet.

For example, .to, .ch, .se and .is are only subject to Tongan, Swiss, Swedish, and Icelandic law respectively, which is why they are popular alternatives to those wary of for example .com. US authorities cannot simply take down a .se domain, but it could probably leverage political pressure to try to convince Sweden to take action. This is less likely to succeed in countries hostile or indifferent to the US.

However, many ccTLDs (country code top level domains) are under US control by being administered by or through US universities. The University of Puerto Rico administers several Caribbean and American ccTLDs.

The US does not control the ISPs, physical cables, data centers, POPs, and other parts of the internet that's outside of US jurisdiction. But ICANN and IANA are very important organisations for the internet's architecture and both are US companies. Since a 2016, this influence has been decreasing through an internationalisation process.

More information would help us help you.
as previous comments described there are two issue:
1) registration and control of domain - can be done through several non us/eu companies that will ignore DMCA notifications.
2) hosting - also better choose a company that would not shut down your website on first notice.

again even these companies will not support illegal activities. So everything above should work if you opeRate in grey zone.

Where/how to host the website so that the US officials don't treat you like they treated Kim Dotcom?

When FBI sends a letter to your ISP your website goes offline or gets redirected...did I miss something? Not sure which ISP anywhere in the would deny an FBI request to protect a web hosting provider but anything is possible in far flung anti-US locations. :confused:.

Reactions: picarone
Can't these organizations basically shut down your domain or manipulate the traffic related to your domain, even if your domain is .to, .ch, .se and .is?

It has so far never happened that ICANN or IANA have been required to shutdown or block IP addresses or domain names. Not to the worst of the worst of criminals. I don't know if that's for technical, legal, or practical reasons.

You can of course go hide on TOR and use a .onion domain. It all depends on what you're doing and from whom you're hiding.

It has so far never happened that ICANN or IANA have been required to shutdown or block IP addresses or domain names. Not to the worst of the worst of criminals. I don't know if that's for technical, legal, or practical reasons.

You can of course go hide on TOR and use a .onion domain. It all depends on what you're doing and from whom you're hiding.
There's not that much to it, really. Look up a few of these sites and write down which registars and TLDs they use...

DDoS protection and the server itself is the major weak point.

Kinda depends on the purpose, if free speech is the thing then .is and a server on Iceland will totally work.

For my personal site I've chosen .is, it also fits in with my brand name - looking at hosting it on distributed networks now :)

In my case I just want to reserve my RIGHT to publish what the f... I want, so .is on top of a good server would do!

Last edited:

Latest Threads