Our valued sponsor

Will my home country find out about my US residency?

Alembic

Sep 16, 2023
USA
Visit site
Very simple question: if I obtain US residency or citizenship, will my home country know about it?

Opening a bank account as a US resident/citizen shouldn't trigger any reporting as I would be be considered a US person for tax purposes, which would be correct. I haven't lived in my home country for several years.

Are there any other mechanisms whereby they might be informed, such as if I file a US tax return, or open a US LLC? Again, I would be doing this as a US resident, from within the United States. I'm not trying to avoid US taxes, and I assume the US would confirm or deny if asked directly, but I'm curious if there's any way my home country could automatically discover I obtained US residency or citizenship through information sharing, data matching, or otherwise.

As long as you don't go to your consulate to tell them that you're living in the US you'll be fine, but at some point you'll have to renew your passport, so whenever that happens go back to your home country to renew your passport (and of course do not give them your US address.)