Our valued sponsor

Wise.com is a scam

neolife2022

Jun 7, 2022
wert
Visit site
Wise.com's Mishandling of my US$2000 Transfer from Paypal

I would like to report Wise.com's weird payment behavior to you as follows:

My name is Minghua Chen from Hangzhou, China. I have been Wise.com's client since April this year. Wise.com, formerly Transferwise.com is a payment service registered in the UK and I have conducted some investigations before becoming its client.

On May 20 I have withdrawn US$1965 (after deducting US$35 of transaction fee) from Paypal to deposit it to my USD account of Evolve Bank & Trust opened through and trusted at Wise.com.

However, a week was gone, my money has still not shown on my Evolve Bank & Trust account at Wise.com.

Therefore I have contacted all parties involved in the transaction, incl. Paypal - the Payer, the Evolve Bank & Trust, the bank where my account is actually opened and Wise.com, the payment solution provider that has provided me that account during my registration.

Paypal replied on May 29 that they have made the payment successfully and considered the case as settled.

To Evolve Bank & Trust I have submitted my question via their online form and they replied on June 1 & 2.

Basically they said that they are partner bank of Wise.com but they do not have access to my account, albeit under their bank name. As such they suggested me to contact Paypal and Wise.com to find out the reasons, which I have done already, but with no results.

As far as Wise.com is concerned I have talked to its Help Center people a couple of times since May 25 via their Help Center, in chat, per site document uploading or through online email submittals. While per chatting on May 25 & 26, I was informed that no incoming funds transfer were detected in my account, my emails and document submittals got no feedback of whatsoever, till this moment when I am writing this email.

Therefore I have conducted some researches of other ways of finding a solution, and finally I found their customer complaints email address at [email protected] and wrote an email to them on June 1.

This mail did got the replies a couple of hours later, see the email exchange between me and Wise.com's [email protected].

What they said is basically that the transfer of my money from Paypal was completed and the money is at their hand, but they have never informed me of anything since the money has reached them. They said they need some extra checks, but the mechanism of the socalled "extra checks" was never implemented, even since its [email protected] has promised to enable the mechanism on June 1/2 as stated in their mail. And since then, I have repeatedly ask them to move ahead with their socalled checks, however, all my requests were simply ignored and hence I have never heard from them since June 2. I can find no way to trigger the extra check mechanism as they told me.

I don't know what they are doing or want to do against my money, which I earned back 5 years ago with my translation services for a US company called Morningstar.

And now my US$ 1965 from Paypal is still at Wise.com's disposal, and my account does not show any evidence of the transfer as indicated by the account statement on June 6.

I have no way to get an answer from them, as all my emails get no answers, and their Help Center seems not operational as well.

Apart from the email entry, the chat and telephone functions are all greyed out, there is no way to contact them physically. But emails won't get answered at all. Therefore I have now no way to get any replies from Wise.com. They simply seem to have disappeared from the world.

Then what they want to do with my US$1965? Do they want to retain my money forever as their own? Can anyone else do such thing as Wise.com is doing against people like me?

My money was legally earned through my expertise service. I am a linguist cum IT engineer with IC design and web/mobile development as my key expertise right now. I have discontinued with my language services a couple of years ago for various reasons, although I am proficient in English, German and French since the early 1980's. I am not a rich person, just on contrast, I am very poor, because I am not earning money through illegal ways. Therefore US$ 2000 is a big money to me. If someone steals that amount of money from me, that equals the killing of mine.

I don't think anyone in the world can keep my money without my agreement for any reason. I consider this act of Wise.com a crime, and therefore I want to seek justice with relevant financial and government authorities in the countries involved with this case. I hope God and justice will finally prevail and evil=doer like Wise.com will get severely punished. How severe they shall be punished, we shall work out a scheme together.

Anyway, my money must be recovered and returned to me as soon as possible, in one way or other, and any losses - direct or indirect - I may suffer from Wise.com mishandling shall be compensated as soon as possible, without delay.

Otherwise the world's financial system will tumble.

In fact, ever since the transfer, their wicked way of business has already made my life miserable and terrible. I cannot rest well, worried days and nights, and caused many troubles to my normal life. Their misconduct has destroyed my normal life, some of my plans and also makes me worry about my later life, for I am a man near retirement age and have no steady income. My business has yielded no income for me, although I have been trying my hardest over the lase decades. Now my only option is to seek help from the financial industry and regulatory authority.

What country are you based in and what passport do you hold?

"Extra checks" signals to me that something is high risk about either your passport, new user factor, the origin of money, your country of residency, use of a VPN to access Wise etc or a combination of more than one example :confused:.

I would not panic yet however. But USD wires are generally high risk in today's world for EMI's like Wise etc. In my opinion USD wires should always be avoided in use outside of the US.

Something does not seem right about why they have not contacted you. I would just wait a little longer. Given it 4 weeks as compliance departments often have to wait from feedback from regulators etc if they have filed a suspicious transaction report. In end at best it might just be a work back log and they have not gotten around to contacting you for more info on transaction. At worst it is funds frozen/returned and account closed.

P.S Contacting the US bank that Wise uses was wrong action. They cannot help you as your a customer of Wise and not them. That's like me contacting DBS Bank in Singapore because my SGD account with Wise had not been credited.

Reactions: JohnLocke
Thank you for your comments!

I have said who I am in my message.

I am transferring only 2k Dollar, not 2B or 2M Dollars. And my little money was earned out of my hard working and sweat. Can't imagine it takes weeks to just send some little bucks. I will never use online payment in the future. They are destroying my life. I will also not use banks and financial companies outside China. China has a better system, much much better. This financial system outside China is killing the global commerce. They are rubbish.

Reactions: Mike Williams
I have said who I am in my message.

Ahh sorry. By time I got to bottom of your long original post I had forgotten where you said you lived at very beginning conf/(%.

And my little money was earned out of my hard working and sweat. Can't imagine it takes weeks to just send some little bucks. I will never use online payment in the future. They are destroying my life.

I don't think Wise or any EMI in Europe cares about personal circumstances. It is a heartless business they operate and you are just a number to them. People for example that used epayments service had money frozen for nearly 2 years and during a covid pandemic to make matters worse. There is no compassion for your personal situation from any of them sadly.

China has a better system, much much better. This financial system outside China is killing the global commerce. They are rubbish.
Well, I disagree wholeheartedly. The entire Chinese money system is a joke. My experience with Chinese people however tells me not to go into this any further. Good luck becoming a millionaire selling translation services to Chinese people.

PS: Wise.com obviously is not a scam and you should probably try to not let your emotions get in the way of your business. Just my two cents.

Well, I disagree wholeheartedly. The entire Chinese money system is a joke. My experience with Chinese people however tells me not to go into this any further. Good luck becoming a millionaire selling translation services to Chinese people.

PS: Wise.com obviously is not a scam and you should probably try to not let your emotions get in the way of your business. Just my two cents.
You're most likely an employee of Wise.com, or you're telling liars. I have never experienced the same tragedy as with Wise.com. Chinese financial institutions are 100 times plus better than Wise.com and some of other scams.

You're most likely an employee of Wise.com, or you're telling liars. I have never experienced the same tragedy as with Wise.com. Chinese financial institutions are 100 times plus better than Wise.com and some of other scams.
man, these centralized services like wise.com, paypal, payoneer, coinbase, binance, and so on, which are operated by people and have rules and regulations to follow, can definitely cause frustration when they lock/block/investigate accounts for whatever reasons (or even have plain outages or "wallet maintenance" which can last for weeks and people can't get their money out). it doesn't mean they're a scam, that's just how centralized services work, all of them with no exclusions, including your banks. if you want something that can't block your transactions from place to place, it's just crypto in a self managed wallet (not on any online services or exchange because again, then it becomes an "account" and services do whatever they want with "accounts" opened in their platform).

by creating "account" in wise.com you agreed to let them do whatever they want with your funds and your personal data in that account, that's the way it works. if you don't like it, don't use a service and don't open an account with them, just use crypto or other banks, and if it's not an option for you, research more options. I use wise.com to pay employees and personal payments too, for about 2 years or more, never had issues. but I had my paypal locked several times already for various automatic "fraud detection" algorithms that signal I am making a risky personal payments to my grandma :rolleyes:

Wise.com's Mishandling of my US$2000 Transfer from Paypal

I would like to report Wise.com's weird payment behavior to you as follows:

My name is Minghua Chen from Hangzhou, China. I have been Wise.com's client since April this year. Wise.com, formerly Transferwise.com is a payment service registered in the UK and I have conducted some investigations before becoming its client.

On May 20 I have withdrawn US$1965 (after deducting US$35 of transaction fee) from Paypal to deposit it to my USD account of Evolve Bank & Trust opened through and trusted at Wise.com.

However, a week was gone, my money has still not shown on my Evolve Bank & Trust account at Wise.com.

Therefore I have contacted all parties involved in the transaction, incl. Paypal - the Payer, the Evolve Bank & Trust, the bank where my account is actually opened and Wise.com, the payment solution provider that has provided me that account during my registration.

Paypal replied on May 29 that they have made the payment successfully and considered the case as settled.

To Evolve Bank & Trust I have submitted my question via their online form and they replied on June 1 & 2.

Basically they said that they are partner bank of Wise.com but they do not have access to my account, albeit under their bank name. As such they suggested me to contact Paypal and Wise.com to find out the reasons, which I have done already, but with no results.

As far as Wise.com is concerned I have talked to its Help Center people a couple of times since May 25 via their Help Center, in chat, per site document uploading or through online email submittals. While per chatting on May 25 & 26, I was informed that no incoming funds transfer were detected in my account, my emails and document submittals got no feedback of whatsoever, till this moment when I am writing this email.

Therefore I have conducted some researches of other ways of finding a solution, and finally I found their customer complaints email address at [email protected] and wrote an email to them on June 1.

This mail did got the replies a couple of hours later, see the email exchange between me and Wise.com's [email protected].

What they said is basically that the transfer of my money from Paypal was completed and the money is at their hand, but they have never informed me of anything since the money has reached them. They said they need some extra checks, but the mechanism of the socalled "extra checks" was never implemented, even since its [email protected] has promised to enable the mechanism on June 1/2 as stated in their mail. And since then, I have repeatedly ask them to move ahead with their socalled checks, however, all my requests were simply ignored and hence I have never heard from them since June 2. I can find no way to trigger the extra check mechanism as they told me.

I don't know what they are doing or want to do against my money, which I earned back 5 years ago with my translation services for a US company called Morningstar.

And now my US$ 1965 from Paypal is still at Wise.com's disposal, and my account does not show any evidence of the transfer as indicated by the account statement on June 6.

I have no way to get an answer from them, as all my emails get no answers, and their Help Center seems not operational as well.

Apart from the email entry, the chat and telephone functions are all greyed out, there is no way to contact them physically. But emails won't get answered at all. Therefore I have now no way to get any replies from Wise.com. They simply seem to have disappeared from the world.

Then what they want to do with my US$1965? Do they want to retain my money forever as their own? Can anyone else do such thing as Wise.com is doing against people like me?

My money was legally earned through my expertise service. I am a linguist cum IT engineer with IC design and web/mobile development as my key expertise right now. I have discontinued with my language services a couple of years ago for various reasons, although I am proficient in English, German and French since the early 1980's. I am not a rich person, just on contrast, I am very poor, because I am not earning money through illegal ways. Therefore US$ 2000 is a big money to me. If someone steals that amount of money from me, that equals the killing of mine.

I don't think anyone in the world can keep my money without my agreement for any reason. I consider this act of Wise.com a crime, and therefore I want to seek justice with relevant financial and government authorities in the countries involved with this case. I hope God and justice will finally prevail and evil=doer like Wise.com will get severely punished. How severe they shall be punished, we shall work out a scheme together.

Anyway, my money must be recovered and returned to me as soon as possible, in one way or other, and any losses - direct or indirect - I may suffer from Wise.com mishandling shall be compensated as soon as possible, without delay.

Otherwise the world's financial system will tumble.

In fact, ever since the transfer, their wicked way of business has already made my life miserable and terrible. I cannot rest well, worried days and nights, and caused many troubles to my normal life. Their misconduct has destroyed my normal life, some of my plans and also makes me worry about my later life, for I am a man near retirement age and have no steady income. My business has yielded no income for me, although I have been trying my hardest over the lase decades. Now my only option is to seek help from the financial industry and regulatory authority.
They closed my perfectly proper business account for no reason.Upon my protest the directed me to their resolution department. Upon my formal complaint there they promised a 10 business day response. On day 11 I had to contact themat which they informed me they never received my request and I should start over!!!?? I can't imagine what would happen if the lost my money or closed my account when it was loaded? They're idea of customer care and support is ridiculous. I can get answers from government faster than I can get a response from these morons! All I can say to you is good luck and once you get your money go find another bank.

Reactions: jafo
man, these centralized services like wise.com, paypal, payoneer, coinbase, binance, and so on, which are operated by people and have rules and regulations to follow, can definitely cause frustration when they lock/block/investigate accounts for whatever reasons (or even have plain outages or "wallet maintenance" which can last for weeks and people can't get their money out). it doesn't mean they're a scam, that's just how centralized services work, all of them with no exclusions, including your banks. if you want something that can't block your transactions from place to place, it's just crypto in a self managed wallet (not on any online services or exchange because again, then it becomes an "account" and services do whatever they want with "accounts" opened in their platform).

by creating "account" in wise.com you agreed to let them do whatever they want with your funds and your personal data in that account, that's the way it works. if you don't like it, don't use a service and don't open an account with them, just use crypto or other banks, and if it's not an option for you, research more options. I use wise.com to pay employees and personal payments too, for about 2 years or more, never had issues. but I had my paypal locked several times already for various automatic "fraud detection" algorithms that signal I am making a risky personal payments to my grandma :rolleyes:
but they can't do what they want with your money if money owed must be returned , that's passive thinking .

Reactions: jafo
What country are you based in and what passport do you hold?

"Extra checks" signals to me that something is high risk about either your passport, new user factor, the origin of money, your country of residency, use of a VPN to access Wise etc or a combination of more than one example :confused:.

I would not panic yet however. But USD wires are generally high risk in today's world for EMI's like Wise etc. In my opinion USD wires should always be avoided in use outside of the US.

Something does not seem right about why they have not contacted you. I would just wait a little longer. Given it 4 weeks as compliance departments often have to wait from feedback from regulators etc if they have filed a suspicious transaction report. In end at best it might just be a work back log and they have not gotten around to contacting you for more info on transaction. At worst it is funds frozen/returned and account closed.

P.S Contacting the US bank that Wise uses was wrong action. They cannot help you as your a customer of Wise and not them. That's like me contacting DBS Bank in Singapore because my SGD account with Wise had not been credited.
Excuse my ignorance but why are USD wires considered of high risk for EMI's (and why avoid them outside of the US)?

Excuse my ignorance but why are USD wires considered of high risk for EMI's (and why avoid them outside of the US)?

I answered it below back in Feb 2021.

Latest Threads