Our valued sponsor

Wise.com will ask me "confirm your nationality" only when sending to Thailand

Dictator

Jan 3, 2024
A
Visit site
I've had a Wise account for years. The country of residence - Thailand. I don't remember if I had to confirm it by utility bill.
The passport of Russia.

When I send money to a bank in any country where I have accounts in, there'll be no issue.

Whereas whenever I try to send to Thailand, on the last step I'll get asked "Confirm your nationality" with a dropdown list. Funny enough, there's no Russia in it. However, it may not even be they want my nationality but residency. Or something like this. Maybe even without anything additional - "simply select a country and that's it".

Previoulsy, a few years ago, I could send to Thailand and this question wouldn't pop up.

What can it be? An issue may be that once I select a country, then may want to ask me to verify it in some way.

I didn't say there weren't. But the fact that for several years I was sending money to a Thai bank via Wise with no issues.

Moreover, despite the sanctions, Thailand and Russia trade, and even SWIFT I think works. Thailand considers introducing the Russia the Mir card. So this pop-up in Wise is due to other reason.

I didn't say there weren't. But the fact that for several years I was sending money to a Thai bank via Wise with no issues.

Moreover, despite the sanctions, Thailand and Russia trade, and even SWIFT I think works. Thailand considers introducing the Russia the Mir card. So this pop-up in Wise is due to other reason.
Thailand - Russia trade functions through Chinese Financial Rails (sitting in the middle) this is the case for a lot of countries.

It used to be for example.

RUB sent -> converted to $ in SDNY -> sent to BoT -> Converted to THB -> deposited in account of end client.

Now it's

RUB sent -> Converted to CNY/HKD -> sent to BOT -> converted to THB -> Deposited in account of end client.

In some cases Caribbean Dollars are used as the conversion currency (my union pay cc for example shows $ front end (dashboard) but each transaction is done in Caribbean Dollars)